Getting bored of this shaving lark

MPH

Forum GOD!
Lye: I am clumsy and tend to rush things so SWMBO has decided no lye, no chain saws etc (I am the type of guy Ooops! glued fingers together with CA)
I super glued myself to my honda civic once. I also managed to epoxy myself to my carpet.... Had to remove my trousers to get up, then cut my trousers off the carpet! Lol.

Strangley, I still have two chainsaws.... Although I did nearly cut my foot off once.

Maybe I should re-think the chainsaws..... :confused:
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I super glued myself to my honda civic once. I also managed to epoxy myself to my carpet.... Had to remove my trousers to get up, then cut my trousers off the carpet! Lol.

Strangley, I still have two chainsaws.... Although I did nearly cut my foot off once.

Maybe I should re-think the chainsaws..... :confused:
maybe you should think ever being left alone. lol
 

slapo

It's... alive!
I was basically "cured" until January this year, but only because I ventured into earphones. Lost interest in buying those after realising I had all bases covered and started hunting down music more (though I always did to a degree). Then I had a severe RAD flare up which has now mostly subsided.
I still have most of the razors I bought, because I tend to revisit and then start playing with frankenrazors and using injector blades in some of them, turning some meh shavers into actually nice ones for me.
And now, after an unpleasant bout of dry skin and a reaction to a soap I bought on a whim, I'm considering getting an electric shaver for such cases. The Philips OneBlade is good, but doesn't get close enough, definitely not without a soap. But I'm mostly back to being utilitarian about shaving again, though I'm still very much enjoying it.
This stuff comes and goes, but I find that a good thing.
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I was basically "cured" until January this year, but only because I ventured into earphones. Lost interest in buying those after realising I had all bases covered and started hunting down music more (though I always did to a degree). Then I had a severe RAD flare up which has now mostly subsided.
I still have most of the razors I bought, because I tend to revisit and then start playing with frankenrazors and using injector blades in some of them, turning some meh shavers into actually nice ones for me.
And now, after an unpleasant bout of dry skin and a reaction to a soap I bought on a whim, I'm considering getting an electric shaver for such cases. The Philips OneBlade is good, but doesn't get close enough, definitely not without a soap. But I'm mostly back to being utilitarian about shaving again, though I'm still very much enjoying it.
This stuff comes and goes, but I find that a good thing.
Do you use the Phillips OneBlade with or against the grain? They recommend ATG but whenever I’ve done that it seems to give me terrible razor burn.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if repeated, I have definitely settled on my preferred setups. It makes me happy knowing this, having swimmed through supplies over the years. Now I just enjoy good shaves. Haven't had to deal with irritation or dryness etc for a long time. So in essence all the hard work is now paying off, that's what I'm currently enjoying over new products :)
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Do you use the Phillips OneBlade with or against the grain? They recommend ATG but whenever I’ve done that it seems to give me terrible razor burn.
I use it ATG on the first pass, but then I always use it with soap. I don't care for it used dry on the face. Elsewhere on myself, it's alright dry, too. The Remington Durablade doesn't get quite as close on the face, but it's gentler and it does get as close elsewhere.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I think I’ve just got to the place I wanted to be at. I have my Holy Grail razor and one custom brush that fits my needs perfectly. I’ve removed the faff of pre- and aftershave products (moisturiser is sufficient) and I’ve finally gone down the route of using one soap or cream to completion at a time. My shaves have never been better, since I’m so used to each constituent part, although I’m now shaving every two or three days rather than daily. By my reckoning, I’m now boring rather than bored - which means I’m not posting as much as I did but still enjoy reading the forums and contributing here-and-there.

Edit: I appreciate that my minimalist heaven is another person’s tedious hell! I have kept a few other razors around to spice things up!
 
Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
I believe focus has shifted from classic foruming analyzing aspects of shaving in minute detail to SOTD show and tell with likes Facebook style.
 
Top