Feather and Kai shaves

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Today I discovered the availability of the Sanguine Coolcut 9 and decided to order after reading reviews. This is a true injector blade shavette. Cost is $19 for Amazon and similar online at Walmart.

I found this older video in which the user discusses the previous connection with the Personna Moncier Charles, the blades, and his experiences. I realize this is a departure from the thread focus. However, there might be some interest. These are available in the UK and Amazon. I am going to use my stock of Schick and Supply injector blades because reviews said they would fit.

Sanguine Coolcut 9, Captain's Choice Island Time soap & aftershave

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxS9EUo9gsw
 
Last edited:

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I've watched videos of men using short strokes and fewer long strokes, so I decided to see if it matters or which I prefer. I am now making longer strokes from the chin down and under, then going back and doing the same three times to shave the chin. This seems to be working better those short choppy strokes, and I am finding more effective.

Today was the 4th use of the Pro Super and it continues to perform well with two passes. A third pass may provide a longer shave, but not a better feeling shave. For me, a straight against the grain does not leave my face feeling as good. I use a horizontal pass instead and an arching pass on the jaw line.

The Sanguine Coolcut 9 does not arrive until November 1, but I will leave my review whenever it shows.
 

bartje-p

Forum GOD!
Today had my 4th shave (partly) with the SR Shavette. Feels a bit more comfortable, but every now and then I block my sight in the mirror ;-) So far, without war wounds. When I compare it to my safety razors, I still have a long way to go, but hey, who cares, I have the time. Fun addition to the shaving hobby!

ATT - SE1 alu
Schick - Proline P
Razorock - 400 syntheet
Stirling - Duke (sample size)
PAA - Pomegranate Bay AS
Balea - Men Energy ASB

Feather artist club - SR
Feather - PL Professional Light (4)

20261003.jpg
 

chazt

shave
October 3, 2026

Some consistent recurring observations.. the DX is clearly the closest shaving razor of my three RBSRs. So far, I can not get even close to bbs on my neck with the Woody. Also, the SR currently seems to be the easiest to use and most consistent holder all around.

Today I did the first pass with the DX and second with Woody. After the second pass there was still too much stubble on my neck so I did a very deliberate full third pass, again with the DX. And as they say, “third time’s a charm.” When I splashed on the Snake Bite there was a brief moment of minor irritation on my lower neck where it used to be more of an issue. Could be the blade needs changing and / or my technique was off. By the time the DRH hit my face 30 seconds later it was all good.
IMG_2270.jpeg
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Just something to think about when comparing, use the same blade. Consider changing the blade to the other holder between passes. This will tell you if one holder is different from the other. For me the SS provides the same result as the DX. The SS was not designed to provide an inferior shave. I doubt the "woody" was designed to do less than the captain.
 
Last edited:

chazt

shave
Just something to think about when comparing, use the same blade. Consider changing the blade to the other holder between passes. This will tell you if one holder it different from the other. For me the SS provides the same result as the DX. The SS was not designed to provide an inferior shave. I doubt the "woody" was designed to do less than the captain.
I think the fine points of shaving this way in general and the fine points of each razor still lay ahead. I obviously should have followed the advice we all give to wet shave newbies, i.e., stick with one setup for a month of shaves before you change any variables. Frankly, it wouldn’t be terrible to take a step back and adopt that philosophy now. I’ll ponder that tomorrow.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I think the fine points of shaving this way in general and the fine points of each razor still lay ahead. I obviously should have followed the advice we all give to wet shave newbies, i.e., stick with one setup for a month of shaves before you change any variables. Frankly, it wouldn’t be terrible to take a step back and adopt that philosophy now. I’ll ponder that tomorrow.
I can't be critical of your choices because you have several new and interesting tools to consider and blades to use. I know you are fully enjoying yourself and that's as important as a good result. Carry on, friend.

As an aside, I was reading shavette reviews again last evening on B&B. One member had traded all his folding, several, except his Kai Woody.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I used the AC Feather DX kamisori today with a 5 use Pro Super blade performing two passes with specific concentration on beard mapping for the second pass.

I am now able to shave around my nostrils by rolling the holder in my fingers. The touch is very light, but since the blade is sharp, I can do more with less.

This is the third time going from my chin to neck in one long stroke. It takes me three of these to get the chin area shaved. This is better than going over the same area using short strokes.
 

chazt

shave
I can't be critical of your choices because you have several new and interesting tools to consider and blades to use. I know you are fully enjoying yourself and that's as important as a good result. Carry on, friend.

As an aside, I was reading shavette reviews again last evening on B&B. One member had traded all his folding, several, except his Kai Woody.
Thank you. I tend to let my excitement sweep over me which leads to reduced inhibitions that lead to varied flurries of activity. Over the years I’ve found that having too many choices and/or too many possessions often leads to a kind of paralysis which requires conscious effort on my part to surmount. For example, in my zeal to explore the ACRBSR format, in addition to holders I’ve also acquired a vast assortment of blades. Three varieties tried, more than that still to come, I’m now consciously choosing to stick with just one, the Kai MG guarded, aka Pink, for the foreseeable future, hoping that becoming more intimately familiar with the one will help me to learn and eventually master my tools.

I’m presently not considering getting rid of any of my small assortment. However, I think it behooves me to focus on the three lovelies already here before buying any more. For now :wink:
 
Last edited:
Top