@Twelvefret, you’ve mentioned that you adapt to each razor’s “idiosyncrasies” by rolling the angle at which the blade interacts with your skin. I saw today in my mirror that what I was doing may be similar to the motion you described. And then I recognized it consciously. It’s likely the same technique that one acquires when switching from pivoting head carts to fixed head designs. Have never used a pivoting head cart, it was a technique that was intuitively easy when I switched over from the old Trac II to DE and SE razors all those years ago.
I have not used a pivoting head, but i think i understand your comparison, and it’s a good one to describe what’s happening .
The blade rolls around the contours of my face by turning the holder with my thumb underneath and first finger on top. Once my rolling was interrupted and I went straight into the underside of my chin, but fortunately not deep.
As we become more comfortable and confident we aren’t going to bleed to death, we relax allowing our small muscles to do the work, like how we hold a guitar pick loosely to make our music more fluid at tempo.