Fake watches

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
@Vacumatic Interesting, and more than just coincidence, Rolex advertises its watches as “Superlative Chronometers” and Montblanc advertises its pen material as “Precious Resin”. Hyperbole in both cases. Which just goes to prove, you can fool a lot of people most of the time with slick and intensive marketing

I’ve been collecting vintage and modern fountain pens for 40 years or so and the most disappointing pens I’ve owned were a Montblanc 149 and 146. They leaked from every conceivable place a fountain pen could leak from and they both never wrote properly, ie skipping, blotting, misaligned tines, etc. This was never cured, despite both pens spending more time with Montblanc than with me, or so it seemed. In the end I dropped the 149 on the carpet and the barrel shattered into a “thousand” pieces…so much for ”Precious Resin”.

As for Rolex watches, I’ve never owned one, having been warned off them by a watch collector friend, whose judgement I greatly respect. This was 25 years ago and his experience with Rolex performance issues was much the same as yours, as well as their less than top-tier after sales customer service. Rolex has created a great mystic around the brand, built on (paid?) endorsements by “celebrities“, whatever they are, and super jocks, especially regarding their exclusivity. The company produces over one million watches per year and are expanding production. How exclusive is that? By comparison, Patek Philippe produces about 65,000 watches per year; Vacheron Constantin produces roughly 20,000 watches per year; and Audemars Piguet produces 50,000 watches per year. Thus “The Holy Trinity“ produces approximately 135,000 watches per year. Personally, I don’t like the styling of most Rolex watches. The only model I’d consider would be the 1908, but the price is likely double what I think it’s worth. Also, they’d have to take “Superlative Chronometer” off the face.

Zorro

Forum GOD!
I have acquired a small collection of Casio G shocks over the last 40 years, in a random way, whenever I saw one that I really liked.

The only issue i have had is straps hardening and breaking over time, but a genuine replacement strap is under £20.

The actual watches just need a new battery every ten years or so, other than that they never break.

Occams Razor

@Vacumatic - I'm guessing that you choose your car for it's utility rather than the sheer joy of owning it, or as an investment, if you consider the service costs before choosing it. I think my watch is exactly the same - a good utilitarian item that does a job, and meets certain specifications, no more, no less.

@Twelvefret - did you see the 25000m water resistant one? :p: That is twice as deep as the Marianas Trench. Most divers will never go deeper than 30m (the NAUI / PADI/ SSI recreational limit). Any deeper and you'll be using a dive computer anyway. A Steeldive will be much more useful than a railway lantern!

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Once when I was paddling and took a swim at flood stage on the middle prong of the Pigeon, I felt I was at that depth 😂😂😂

Dog gone your hide @Occams Razor, I was all happy with the Casio until you introduced the Steel Drive.🫶🏼

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I have acquired a small collection of Casio G shocks over the last 40 years, in a random way, whenever I saw one that I really liked.

The only issue i have had is straps hardening and breaking over time, but a genuine replacement strap is under £20.

The actual watches just need a new battery every ten years or so, other than that they never break.
I've fallen down the gshock rabbit hole... Doh...

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Like the MoonSwatch it’s basically a bit of expensive fun, a plastic Swatch. Not a Blancpain in any form
I agree with you, but here’s how Blancpain positions it on their website. Perhaps they’re giving into pressure from their owner, Swatch.

IMG_1493.png