Double edge vs. Multiblade

How many of you guys for a moment actually believe that a double edge razor will give a closer shave than any 5 or 7 blade mutiblade razor and if so, how and why? Women had to use de razors back in the 50s and i just wanted your opinions you guys.... rsvp.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
And then incomes the Leaf, a three double edge blade razor, albeit half a blade but the multi bladed Leaf for a few of us has been a game changer.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Forgot to say, many of us here as well started looking for a cheaper shave. With 100 blades for around £8-£9 we saw that opportunity to save on expensive non recyclable cartridges. That theory soon went out the window and it’s now more of a luxurious hobby.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I actually for a moment know I enjoy using a DE or straight razor far more than any cartridge razor. I enjoy not only the end result but the journey to get there too. Other than that people can use whatever they want for all I care as I am not looking to convert anyone either.

Bob
 

chazt

shave
In my experience double edge razor blades shave very closely with essentially no irritation, when compared to the multi-blade razors. Every shaver tends to favor certain DE blades over others. I think the improved quality of my shaves is due in part to the equipment, but also to improved technique resulting from the extra care/attention (and reduced pace) that comes naturally with traditional shaving.
 

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I tried a cartridge for the first time in over a year earlier this week. Whilst it did the job, the results were not as close as I get from a DE with just a couple of passes. Very annoyingly it kept clogging up too. My other half certainly prefers the smoother results from a DE too

Another key angle is the experience of being able to mix and match razor, blade and software. Certainly helps make lockdown a little less monotonous
 

TobyC

Patriot
Forgot to say, many of us here as well started looking for a cheaper shave. With 100 blades for around £8-£9 we saw that opportunity to save on expensive non recyclable cartridges. That theory soon went out the window and it’s now more of a luxurious hobby.
I just wanted to use my old man's razor so it wouldn't sit somewhere going to waste, 1st shave with a Gillette OLD and a Wilkinson Sword blade was the best shave I had ever had in my life, so I never went back.
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Forgot to say, many of us here as well started looking for a cheaper shave. With 100 blades for around £8-£9 we saw that opportunity to save on expensive non recyclable cartridges. That theory soon went out the window and it’s now more of a luxurious hobby.
For me it was more about picking up a more traditional (manly) routine. I'm not sure I truly ever believed the "cheaper" thing or just allowed myself to be deluded. BUT I never enjoyed shaving when cartridge, whereas I now look forward to shaving.

My wife can see the enjoyment in the hobby and thus far has been pretty cool with the spending. (That may change if she ever realizes how much I have spent.)
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
How many of you guys for a moment actually believe that a double edge razor will give a closer shave than any 5 or 7 blade mutiblade razor and if so, how and why? Women had to use de razors back in the 50s and i just wanted your opinions you guys.... rsvp.
For the vast majority of people, cartridge shaving is perfectly fine. I think the options available in terms razors ultimately gives people more flexibility to find a razor (or razors) that better suit their preferences or needs, in the case of people with sensitive skin or crazy hair growth speed.
 

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I tried a multiblade razor for a brief period, until the cartridges that came with it ran out. I didn't like it much, and reverted to the straights, DEs and injectors that I've used since Wilson was first PM. I will confess to having used Schick twin injector blades, and it's a pity they're so hard to get nowadays.
Each to his own, but the cost of cartridges alone is enough to discourage me.
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Each to his own, but the cost of cartridges alone is enough to discourage me.
This. I am sure I am oversensitive, but between the Gillette advertisement preachiness and the monopolistic pricing of cartridges, I felt like I was just being treated like a fool. I could be remembering wrong, but it seemed like the prices went from acceptable to crazy expensive over a very short period of time. Ultimately that was the final straw for me to finally take the leap.
 
Top