Do you need to buy every month

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
I haven’t bought anything for a while. I have traded a razor and sold a couple but I feel I am missing out in the hobby if I do not buy something almost every month and it just becomes shaving again. How about you?
I am right at that same point in my life as well, and I am going to go out on a limb to say I think we have a problem that can be simplified as a Shopaholism. I'm not saying its something that effects all of us on the forum. However those of us that sometimes joke we have aquastion disorders for one thing or another should look deep at our spending and the drivers and be honest. It is a clear form of addiction for some of us. Now don't get me wrong i'm not pointing fingers, i'm saying everyone should decide for themselves. In the mean time i'll be selling my sons toys to buy more soap
 
Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
Definitely need something to keep me from falling back to looking like a hobo but I have switched from buying to DIY, brush handles, strops, straight razor scales...
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I don't want to buy any more razors since they're so hard to sell on the BST. I have several listed. It took me ages to sell some soaps as well. I also collect old vacuum tubes and they actually go up in value.

I'm seriously put off buying more shaving stuff - only the top tier stuff keeps anything like its value and I'm not into collecting vintage.
 
Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
If you look at this shaving lark like a hobby, then why not. Nothing wrong with trying new stuff. It doesn't have to be expensive, a new razor from Razorock does the job!
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I've been pretty much buying monthly for almost two years now, and I've only recently felt I don't need to do that anymore. I've got stuff that works now. I guess it's that need to feed the hobby that compels us to keep buying constantly.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I don't want to buy any more razors since they're so hard to sell on the BST. I have several listed. It took me ages to sell some soaps as well. I also collect old vacuum tubes and they actually go up in value.

I'm seriously put off buying more shaving stuff - only the top tier stuff keeps anything like its value and I'm not into collecting vintage.
This exactly. I've realised recently that I've lost so much money as some stuff I want to sell just isn't going to go, and the losses have really mounted up. Makes you realise how much you lose out long term if you're not using everything you buy.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
This exactly. I've realised recently that I've lost so much money as some stuff I want to sell just isn't going to go, and the losses have really mounted up. Makes you realise how much you lose out long term if you're not using everything you buy.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
So, the same as any other hobby. If you look at it as "shaving" then yeah, loosing a fortune. If it is a hobby, then is a loss not normal and acceptable?
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
So, the same as any other hobby. If you look at it as "shaving" then yeah, loosing a fortune. If it is a hobby, then is a loss not normal and acceptable?
It's a good point, but I guess I'm saying that, as with any hobby, you can reach a point where you've experienced the very heights of it and you feel you can be more relaxed about how you go about it going forward.

I accepted the losses a long time ago, but of course not being able to resell stuff or taking a big loss never feels great. I realise that's on me for buying things I didn't keep a hold of.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
 

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
I've slowed but still buying. No space for soaps so now looking to complete sets or look for other post shave solutions.

Yes I've lost money selling stuff on. But then I'm not in it to make money. If I can get a small amount for a few soaps then it's better than them sitting there not being used and I can put it towards something I will use. Also I've had so many generous gifts from people in the short time I've been in this hobby, I don't mind paying it forward.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Not really. Other than replacing stuff I use up i’m no longer seeking things out to buy. I do still come across things I want now and then but I don’t go looking.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Ok. I dont need anything else. I don't need anything else..

Hmmmm... One more soap please. Only one and I'm done. Please..

This Arianna & Evans super base with pig fat.
Or this Southern Witchcrafts..
Or maybe the new Buffala base from Wholly Kaw.
Or the Maggards Slant with an excellent blue anodized handle.
OR
Or
or
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Ok. I dont need anything else. I don't need anything else.. Hmmmm... One more soap please. Only one and I'm done. Please..
This Arianna & Evans super base with pig fat.
Or this Southern Witchcrafts..
Or maybe the new Buffala base from Wholly Kaw.
Or the Maggards Slant with an excellent blue anodized handle.
OR
Or
or
Oy Randy! Wake up, man! Breakfast's on the table.....
 
Top