Declaration Grooming Icarus vs Wholly Kaw

  • Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
In terms of performance, which is the best of the two? I had tried a sample of WK, but I'm not sure because I didn't use the whole sample at once..

You can suggest some inoffensive scents too from both.
Thanks
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I was thinking a combo of a WK balm and a DG soap Icarus or old Bison tallow. Or full WK combo. I'm not sure.

Could you suggest anything specific?
 

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
I think I prefer the scents from DG more, but I think both are heavy scented and a bit "love or hate". DG scents I like: Marshlands, Gratiot League Square, Datkfall, Santal Auster and WK: Man from Mayfair and King of Bourbon. WK balm is great.
 

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I have WK "project leather" and DG "Harmony" Icarus. Both are very good soaps and leave my skin feeling well nourished and moisturised but scent wise,
The DG is packed with scent, not just sniffing it in the tub but on the face and it has goats milk, whilst the WK has donkey milk and is very subtle in scent!
They are both slick, provide great cushion and in reality you don't really need any balm after either.

WK Monaco Royale: is very similar to DG TSM Fougère.


 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Thanks. From what you say and from my research I tend to DG because of the price (21-22$) and the similar performance to WK. I like the Goat's Milk & Lamb Tallow it contains.

Because I'm a balm guy even in summer I maybe grab a WK balm too, but I'm afraid of the scent TBH.

Unless you have another balm to suggest guys@ManicDee & @The Gentleman
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I don't know how to describe. Many scents.
Tobacco smells mostly, musky, dark scents too, not floral, not citrus, not vetiver, not straight forward eucalyptus.

If you tell me a brand I could tell you which soaps I like scent wise. Wickhams Magnum smells fantastic to me for example, the same goes for Parma Violet & Club Cola.
 

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I can't fault the Wickham's either. The latest creation "Apricus" is about 60% the same scent as WK "Fern Concerto"
Whilst DG "Taxes" is based on Dior's Sauvage.
I have a barely used WK "project leather" soap, a very soft leather scent with cardamom, vanilla, oud, bourbon and sweet tobacco up for trade only in the buy and sell section. If you want to trade.
Sorry, but that's all I have. I this helped you :okay:
 

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
When it comes to performance, I’d rank the soaps in this order:
WhollyKaw tallow, Declaration Grooming bison, Declaration Grooming Icarus, WhollyKaw vegan. These are all top performers, the only soap that can challenge these is PannaCrema, in my opinion.

Some favorite scents:
Declaration Grooming: Cuir et Épices (nice leather-forward scent), Mayflower (pleasing floral scent), Sweet Lemon (like lemon cake)
WhollyKaw: Chypre Rose Concerto (superb bright rose), Dance of Agrumes (citrus and oud – brilliant), Jamestown Gentleman (classy tobacco)
 
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
So Icarus is worse performer than older Bison formula?
 

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
I’m in the same camp with @The Gentleman, and I believe @Blackmass shares our feelings on the matter. The bison tallow formula provides a very thick, nourishing, hydrating lather. For some, it can be a little too heavy, perhaps especially in warm weather. I like how protective it is – the bison tallow produces a lather that is very forgiving of bad technique, carelessness, etc. (Not that that’s how I want to shave.)

Icarus is still very nourishing and protective, as well. But in my experience, the lather isn’t quite as “heavy” as the bison tallow, if that makes sense. I enjoy them both very much.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I have a problem now. Can't decide. The sure thing is that I will go with Icarus.

The bison tallow is definitely my thing from what I read from @Matsilainen , but.. I read everywhere that Icarus is the best base ever made!

Now what? Bison tallow base is also cheaper, so I will save some money..
 
Top