Citizen Eco Drive watches

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Any thoughts on these solar powered watches? Particularly the cheaper or 'standard' versions; mineral crystal, not radio controlled or automatic. Bought two recently (below), which I am enjoying but looking to increase my collection and wanted some experienced thoughts if possible. Only thing that I find slightly annoying is the seconds hand not always hitting the second marks on the dial exactly. These are just being used as a daily driver so didn't want anything too OTT. Researching into the mechanism, seems it last around 10 years before having to be serviced (capacitor)? 6 year guarantee is a nice touch.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
If you do a search mate there is quite a bit of chat about these here. I bought one on the strength of members thoughts

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I've got a Citizen Eco-drive, model BM8475-26E, which I bought in 2015 and which cost £107.00. It runs perfectly (famous last words), and the second hand is always on the mark. It's stood up well to some fairly rough treatment.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I bought a Citizen Eco-drive just to give it a try. I can’t remember the model, but it cost me about £150, I think. It’s well built and keeps very good time, but I haven’t put it through any gruelling tests a la Bear Grylls. I much prefer my mechanical watches to quartz watches, but I thought the Eco-drive was unique enough to give one a try. I can understand why many people prefer a quartz watch over a mechanical one; it’s similar to why people prefer cartridge/disposable razors over DE/SE razors. At least with the Eco-drive you don’t have to replace the battery every few years and once it’s fully charged it’ll run for about 6 months without being exposed to light. If you change your mind and want to give a mechanical watch a try, there are many solid brands on the market with good prices; I’d recommend the Seiko 5 range.

Here’s my Citizen Eco-drive:
0905A97A-2845-456A-8FFF-3F594E7EE768.jpeg

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I've got a Citizen Eco-drive, model BM8475-26E, which I bought in 2015 and which cost £107.00. It runs perfectly (famous last words), and the second hand is always on the mark. It's stood up well to some fairly rough treatment.
Sorry should have explained a little more in depth. The first linked watch misses the marks, but the second is spot on. Think that's what is more frustrating as would have expected it to be uniform across the brand/range.

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I've been wearing Citizen Eco-Drives for at least twenty years. I don't collect, so I wear one watch until it's finished. I find the watches pretty decent build-wise, and super accurate, which is less important to me.
I'd love a good automatic, but don't want to pay the price for one..

BTW, my second ticks extremely close to the mark, but I don't know about others of the same ilk..

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I've been wearing Citizen Eco-Drives for at least twenty years. I don't collect, so I wear one watch until it's finished. I find the watches pretty decent build-wise, and super accurate, which is less important to me.
I'd love a good automatic, but don't want to pay the price for one..
How often do you have to replace the capacitor if you don't mind me asking? Also is it easy to find someone reliable and cost effective?

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
How often do you have to replace the capacitor if you don't mind me asking? Also is it easy to find someone reliable and cost effective?
I've been wearing this watch close to ten years, and have never replaced anything. On my previous Citizen, they did not replace the capacitor, but the entire movement. Done by Citizen, it was fairly painless and quite cost effective.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
You can buy the capacitors on eBay, it is no different than a battery In appearance. They sell for £16 to £25, more than a battery but longer lasting, so it balances out I suppose. I have two Eco Drives that need new capacitors, I may replace them one day or I may just sell them on. Having a few nice watches I don’t miss them from my watch rotation.