Cheap effective Fire Pit

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Don't need no fires around here!

FIRST ALERT: Dangerous heat continues Wednesday! Heat index near 115° in the afternoon!
Updated: 1 hours ago
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Excessive Heat Warnings and Heat Advisories have been issued for the Lowcountry as heat index values approach 110 to 115 degrees through Wednesday. As a result, Today and Wednesday are both FIRST ALERT WEATHER DAYS due to the excessive heat! We will close in on the record high of 99° this afternoon. The heat index will peak between 105-115° today. A few spots could exceed 115°. Some strong storms are possible through this evening. In fact, a Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect for our area through 8pm. Any storms could produce frequent lightning, gusty winds and heavy rain.
Have seen warnings for heat and also fires in California. Think it will be warm next month when we go out there and through Death Valley !

D

Deleted member 2936

We already had a Fire Pit in the garden, they are great to sit around with a beer and friends. Obviously dry wood or fire bricks, no crap such as plastic. However a recent washing machine replacement gave the opportunity for another. Stainless steel drums make great fire pits. Took a bit of time and effort to rip apart, worse bit was getting it out of the plastic waterproof outer tub. Removing the belt and turning the belt wheel onside down gave a good stable stand too. With all the drainage holes you get great air flow too. Oh and the plastic agitators need removing too.

View attachment 114247
View attachment 114248
i seen the same thing on youtube so i thought i'd rip out the one from my faulty zanussi fair few years back,
thing is though it had cement and this rubber thing attached to the bottom bit all around so wasnt any good but its a good idea to upcycle it and use it if youre going to dash it away anyway

was told the cement is there to make it have some weight whilst the washing machine is being use,
no idea if theres any truth to it

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
i seen the same thing on youtube so i thought i'd rip out the one from my faulty zanussi fair few years back,
thing is though it had cement and this rubber thing attached to the bottom bit all around so wasnt any good but its a good idea to upcycle it and use it if youre going to dash it away anyway

was told the cement is there to make it have some weight whilst the washing machine is being use,
no idea if theres any truth to it
yeah it’s a counter weight to stop it skipping across the floor. It was all a bugger to get off and strip back to just the drum.

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
E851D6E5-0BE7-4DD7-B826-F3DC499E1EEF.jpeg

A proper test last night. Son came back from Uni for a few days so the evening was spent having a few drinks and a sit around the fire as the evening drew in and the temperature dropped a little. These washing drums work very well, easy to get a good strong fire going sucking in air through the side walls. Ignore the grass, two dogs constantly peeing and a one year old Springer who loves doing laps have destroyed that.