Brush of the day BOTD

SlimGem

Forum GOD!
3D Printed Made-Rite 203

Wow! I better keep away from this thread! Quite a world of brushes out there. Maybe someday I'll own a Brad Sears, or something like it. Those pieces are a work of art, for sure. My simple brush is a Made-Rite 203 I duplicated and 3D Printed a while back. I find this design to be quite unique actually. Once I got my caliper going, I realized that this handle design was breaking all the rules of symmetry, and for good reason. On the original, the bottom section doesn't have a single true curve and none of the flat faces run in parallel or point to the center of the handle. Instead, the flat sections come to a point far away from the handle. The top section has two vertical seams and the hole for the knot is slightly bigger at the bottom. What all this means is that the handle went through an incredible amount of machining just to accommodate the molding process. It seems that the bottom section can only be ejected from the mold in a vertical direction, and the top section comes off the mold horizontally as a half. The two halves are then fused together to form the top half making it possible for the hole to taper to a larger diameter at the bottom. Long story short, I'll be using this little piece of plastic with a newfound respect for yesterday's artisans and machinist.

Made Rite BOTD.jpg

Made Rite BOTD1.jpg

Stay safe and healthy.

Last edited:

ESBrushmaker

Forum GOD!
Artisan
3D Printed Made-Rite 203

Wow! I better keep away from this thread! Quite a world of brushes out there. Maybe someday I'll own a Brad Sears, or something like it. Those pieces are a work of art, for sure. My simple brush is a Made-Rite 203 I duplicated and 3D Printed a while back. I find this design to be quite unique actually. Once I got my caliper going, I realized that this handle design was breaking all the rules of symmetry, and for good reason. The bottom section doesn't have a single true curve and none of the flat faces run in parallel or point to the center of the handle. Instead, the flat sections come to a point far away from the handle. The top section has two vertical seams and the hole for the knot is slightly bigger at the bottom. What all this means is that the handle went through an incredible amount of machining just to accommodate the molding process. It seems that the bottom section can only be ejected from the mold in a vertical direction, and the top section comes off the mold horizontally as a half. The two halves are then fused together to form the top half making it possible for the hole to taper to a larger diameter at the bottom. Long story short, I'll be using this little piece of plastic with a newfound respect for yesterday's artisans and machinist.

View attachment 65242

View attachment 65243

Stay safe and healthy.
Nicely done! Those two-piece handles take a little "doing" don't they?

p.b

Forum GOD!
38C5DA60-CA95-4329-AC57-BAFF926C45F3.jpeg

My ‘400’ collection.
Top left is the best one

Top shelf, from left:
Shavemac 2016 ATG group buy with a 26mm Unique knot - best brush I own
Shavemac handle with a 26mm Maggards SHD knot (tips are gelled and too soft for me)
Alpha handle with a Omega 98 knot - only just glued it in. Should be awesome
Razorock 400 Noir knot - best synthetic knot
Razorock handle with a 26mm Angel hair knot - very soft and gentle
Alpha handle with a Omega 102 knot. Soft but adequate backbone
empty handle...
Shavemac handle with a Muehle / EJ XL knot (much better than the EJ handle it came out of)
Shavemac handle with a Mondial boar - good all-rounder

I seem to have a disproportionate number of boars in these handles (compared to my total collection) but I suspect it's because they often come in handles that I think unbecoming of their ability so they deserve a better handle.

Last edited:

GSVwetshave

Forum GOD!
Saturday, 16 May 2020:
Morris & Forndran Style1, Finest badger, Fan 24х46 mm, Porcelain color handle

Sunday, 17 May 2020:
“Proraso Professional” boar shaving brush by Omega

Tuesday, 19 May 2020:
Plisson synthetic brush

Thursday, 21 May 2020:
Custom brush - knot from Dr.Dittmar and Morris & Forndran, handle and upgrade from Shavemac