ATT, etc razor comparison advice.

Hexagrapher

Well-Known Member
Hello,

I'm looking for help to find out which head model from Above The Tie, or another good stainless steel razor, would be similar to the Gillette Red Tip Rocket (not the milder US Red Tip but the English Rocket version.) I'd say it's around a good 4 to 5 on the Progress for aggressiveness.

I would consider any versions to get me to a similar shave - open, closed or slant.

Anyone able to help me out with advice? Much appreciated :)

Thank you.
 

Godfather

Forum GOD!
For me, I would look at the ATT S1. It is super efficient and very smooth. I preferred the atlas handle too and I can really chuck it around my face and get a bbs on 2.5 passes...
 

Hexagrapher

Well-Known Member
Thanks for the advice, Godfather.

I see that's the slant head. Without being sure from experience, I was leaning towards thinking I'd need either a slant or the H to get near the Red Tip Rocket cut.
 

Hexagrapher

Well-Known Member
Earlier this morning, I went to the shop to see about buying, got browsing around, and I've now got stuck between the slant and the H.

I shaved with a Merkur 39C slant everyday for around a year or more so I do enjoy them but I've just read that the ATT slants are based off the regular R heads and are smooth but not overly aggressive. So I was drawn away to the H. Then I read about the open comb H2 and some shavers saying it was the best of both worlds - smooth and aggressive.

Ideally, I'd enjoy trying out the slant 1 and 2 with the H 1 and 2 but the prices roar no to doing that. I'm leaning towards the H2 at the minute but I'm doubtful to go ahead, thinking the slant would possibly be a better daily shaver :rolleyes:
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Your looking at the H1 or H2 for sure. The H1 is very comfortable but feels like it could bite if you lose your concentration. The H2 gives you more blade feel. Each is extremely efficient.
 

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
I've got the R1, R2, S1 and S2.

Out of all of them I use the S2 the most. It's the smoothest and most efficient.

I've also got the Atlas and Kronos handles. The difference between the two are minimal but make quite a difference in the hand.
I prefer the Atlas as it sits better in the hand and the weight and length are just right. Obviously this is a very personal thing.

Good luck with your finial choice.
 

Hexagrapher

Well-Known Member
Thanks, fellas.

I'm nearly there on what to buy now! But just when I thought I was sure, I'll have to go back again, now, and make sure on the handle selection :o_o:

I find my everyday razor, the Red Tip Rocket (around 73mm, give or take) nice and comfortable so I'll try something around the same.
 

Hexagrapher

Well-Known Member
The final decision on the handle was made easier by the fact one was out of stock in the shop.

So, I have just ordered the H2 with Kronos handle. It's slightly longer than the Atlas but I read a good review on this razor with the Kronos handle and it sounds the business. Also, I was thinking on my time with the 39C - that worked very well for me, and it has a 94mm handle, give or take.

Now to avoid going down the rabbit hole, dreaming about buying an extra slant head :laugh:
 

Dobbo25

Forum GOD!
Having used all the razors you have mentioned, I think you've made the right choice with the H2 Kronos, which is my daily shaver. The ATT slants are too mild, smooth... yes but way too mild if you're comparing it to the British Red Tip.
 

Hexagrapher

Well-Known Member
My ATT razor arrived today - fantastic fit & finish with a lovely sized and grippy handle. I'm happy I went for the slightly longer Kronos, it seems to suit the design and shape well for me. On initial looks and build quality, I'm very pleased indeed with it.

I never start using a new razor through the week, so roll on Friday evening or Saturday :)
 

Hexagrapher

Well-Known Member
I've just shaved for the first time with my ATT H2.

Always extra careful and slower than usual when starting out with a new razor, I soon found out I was correct to be mindful as it's easily way more aggressive than anything else in my current rotation. It's comfortable to hold. Not nearly as quick in the hand as the Rocket, for example, but then it's a bigger and heavier razor so that's to be expected. The cutting angle is easy to find - it feels much the same to hold as the Rocket I was using and the H2 head feels small and easy to get where you want it - like trimming square at my sideburns and shaving below my nose. Funny, I was expecting to see them but didn't get many tram lines like the last OC I used, the now discontinued Merkur 12C Barberpole.

While shaving, it does take a lot of concentration and a super duper light touch. I was using an Astra SP blade (which I always rotate with a Feather and use for 2 shaves each) and it was a nice match, I thought. Incidentally, it's Astra SP's which are in the box with the razor when it comes from Stan.

Results, well, even with the lightest of touches, I have a much closer shave than usual and that was with 2 passes. A 3 pass shave with the Rocket wouldn't be this close. I was using a Superlather with stuff I know to make sure I didn't get any crossed wires and blame the wrong thing if it went wrong but all was okay because I have no irritation. I always take a small amount of redness in my neck - even before I start to shave, from the water prewash, it's there and that is minimal as I check just now so it'll be away in a few minutes. I'm especially pleased with that.

Overall, I must give it a very clear thumbs up but remember that it needs to be respected. Taking time and always paying attention to the shave routine, this is looking very impressive indeed.
 
Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
Glad you like it. I would normally not even look at something as aggressive as the H2. I own the M1, S1,S2 and R2 and find the R2 as aggressive as I need. That said I'm now using a straight so as long as you are careful and respectful as you said they do give a super shave.
 
Top