An update on my shaving journey

Wayne

Forum Sod
I recently was lucky to buy a Pearl Flexi on the BST for a really good price. Perfect solution, it is an adjustable so it will grow with you as you become more proficient. Keep an eye out, you may be lucky enough to snag one, or put out an want ad on the BST. Lovely razors.
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I recently was lucky to buy a Pearl Flexi on the BST for a really good price. Perfect solution, it is an adjustable so it will grow with you as you become more proficient. Keep an eye out, you may be lucky enough to snag one, or put out an want ad on the BST. Lovely razors.
It’s also an absolute steal for its price.
 

adrian ivanovici

Forum GOD!
Keep in mind that the Feather blades might not suit you in a more agressive razor, the Wilkinson is considered mild. So if a sharp blade suits you in a mild razor, it can happen that you might need a lesser sharp one in a more agressive razor. I won't make precise recommendations, however, because everyone and every beard is different, so if the need comes, the best option is to find a sample pack and try out a variety. The only thing i can say for certain, bearing in mind you don't like platinums, is that the Wizamet super Iridium blades might surprise you.
YEP! I have 2 Fatips: one gentile and one open comb. With Nacet, Feather or Astra Blue it was really uncomfortable for ATG. Placed a numb Bic Astor in them and the shaves became wonderful and flawless.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
For your next razor I'd say get an adjustable. There is one out there in all price ranges. It will allow you to dial in as much aggression as you can handle at the moment and also allow to to dial in more as your shaving technique improves or not. Actually, I think it is the ideal "first" razor for those reasons.

Bob
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
For your next razor I'd say get an adjustable. There is one out there in all price ranges. It will allow you to dial in as much aggression as you can handle at the moment and also allow to to dial in more as your shaving technique improves or not. Actually, I think it is the ideal "first" razor for those reasons.

Bob
wot he said!
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve said it before - for 99% of us an EJ 89 or Merkur 34 is all you need. I’d have recommended the GC 84 but it’s above what you’re wanting to spend.

You mention reducing the time it takes to shave, how long is it taking you now?
 

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!
I have a Rockwell 6c I’m willing to let go having just got a 6s it’s a great shave and semi adjustable with 6 different plate options. PM me if your interested.
It’s not open comb but it’s top two plates are plenty aggressive without it.
 
Last edited:

Baba Rum

Forum GOD!
If you want to explore options, perhaps you could work with Razorock's razors. You may try the Game Changer .68 closed comb and take it from there. I think that it takes some time and money (but you can sell what you no longer like/need) to find out what razor and blade combo really sings for you. Same with soaps. You could look for The Goodfellas Smile soaps - they're all really good and have matching AS (and non-alcoholic splashes too now) - you will have quite a range that may already keep you busy for a few years. If you have trouble finding gear in your vicinity, try shavingtime.co.uk for example - or other websites that sell good products.
Enjoy your journey!
 

Parallaxis

Forum GOD!
Ok so I've looked into soaps and I decided to try a Geo F Trumper as I saw it was recommended here and it seemed pretty readily available, I went for the Rose scent. It smells absolutely beautiful but using it, it was extremely foamy and didn't offer any protection, I ended up having to use the remains of some of my other soaps which worked a dream. I feel like I may not be using it correctly though or maybe it's harder to lather with when it's brand new? In any case I've decided to look into an alternative and ended up asking Northam Saint who gave me a PIF with soaps in when I first began shaving what one of the soaps was (turns out it was Rasozero by TFS) as that was the best soap I've used and I've got one coming on the way courtesy of him :)
For your next razor I'd say get an adjustable. There is one out there in all price ranges. It will allow you to dial in as much aggression as you can handle at the moment and also allow to to dial in more as your shaving technique improves or not. Actually, I think it is the ideal "first" razor for those reasons.

Bob
You know, it's just dawned on me what a doofus I've been...an adjustable razor would actually be perfect as it's fully customizable. I think I'll look into one at some point, I reckon an adjustable will be my next razor I go for now. At the moment I've got a fairly good thing going with what I'm using so I'll probably hold off a little while longer? But in the medium to long term yeah, definitely interested in going for an adjustable.
Keep in mind that the Feather blades might not suit you in a more agressive razor, the Wilkinson is considered mild. So if a sharp blade suits you in a mild razor, it can happen that you might need a lesser sharp one in a more agressive razor. I won't make precise recommendations, however, because everyone and every beard is different, so if the need comes, the best option is to find a sample pack and try out a variety. The only thing i can say for certain, bearing in mind you don't like platinums, is that the Wizamet super Iridium blades might surprise you.
This is very true, luckily I do still have a little stack of different blades for that precise reason so I can always do a little bit of trial and error.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Ok so I've looked into soaps and I decided to try a Geo F Trumper as I saw it was recommended here and it seemed pretty readily available, I went for the Rose scent. It smells absolutely beautiful but using it, it was extremely foamy and didn't offer any protection, I ended up having to use the remains of some of my other soaps which worked a dream. I feel like I may not be using it correctly though or maybe it's harder to lather with when it's brand new? In any case I've decided to look into an alternative and ended up asking Northam Saint who gave me a PIF with soaps in when I first began shaving what one of the soaps was (turns out it was Rasozero by TFS) as that was the best soap I've used and I've got one coming on the way courtesy of him :)
I would not give up on the GFT soap. Normally a poor result with a soap is operator error. It may be worth your while to experiment with different techniques of lathering the GFT soap. Not all soaps respond well to the same technique.

Bob
 
Top