Am I fussy? Unlucky? Or what?

Dr Watson

James
This really grinds my gears: Wonky labels on fairly expensive products.

I have experienced the following:

D.R. Harris soap bowl with wonky label.
D.R. Harris Aftershave bottles with wonky labels and lids that don't screw on straight.
D.R. Harris shave stick with a ripped, wonky label.
Geo. F. Trumper aftershave bottle with wonky label, discoloured cap and a seal that fall out of the lid with every use.
Kent wooden soap bowl where the lid is a completely different colour to the bowl.
Tüff aftershave bottle with ripped label.
Flöid aftershave bottle with wonky label.
Razorock soap with peeling label.
Razorock aftershave with peeling label.
Klar Seifen soap tin covered in dents.
English artisan soaps with wonky and/or ripped labels, and melted plastic containers.

There are doubtless more that I can't recall but these were all received new from online shaving retailers (not one, I've used 3-4 different ones) I have never complained about this but I can't help feel this just isn't good enough... Am I fussy? Are my standards unreasonably high? Let me know what you think...
 

R181

Grumpy old man
The more expensive a product is the higher my expectations are of it performance and packaging. Probably why I am more disappoint in with expensive items I have bought than the less expensive ones. I do not think you are being unreasonably fussy. Unfortunately we live in an imperfect world though.

Bob
 

Dr Watson

James
Unfortunately we live in an imperfect world though.
'Tis true indeed :(

Its just disappointing when you can buy some Nivea or whatever mass produced junk from the supermarket and be safe in the knowledge it won't have any of the aforementioned problems... If I think of them as being unique due to the fact its done by hand rather than a production line that helps but who am I kidding, the problem is obviously buying online - One is entirely at the shops mercy to send out something acceptable and likewise the shop is entirely reliant on the manufacturer to send out acceptable goods to them.

The solution is obvious, I'll have to make a trip to Bond Street whenever I need to restock and pick the damn things myself :laugh:
 

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I can't put a label on you, because I feel exactly as you do! Sometimes I think I'm too fussy or unreasonable about flaws, but, I attribute that to being brought up in an era when people took satisfaction in their work, pride in doing a good job. Does that still exist? Sometimes I suppose, but like you, I receive a lot of products that could be done much better.
Perhaps it's our own fault for accepting less than the best? I don't know the answer, but I still expect the best ... But am often disappointed!
 

Lann

Forum GOD!
I think sometimes we can be too reserved for our own good. If straight labels and overall aesthetics are important then a polite email/letter of complaint does no harm in my opinion. After all, if a vendor chooses to ignore a reasonable request or complaint we have the ultimate choice of giving our hard earned cash to vendors who pride themselves on attention to detail and who also offer a quality customer service.
 

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
So a lil analogy I used to use back in the day when my mates brought the latest designer sports trainers "will they make you run faster or jump higher?" And most would have to admit no. But in this case will the wonky label effect the shave? Well in most cases it will only effect the aesthetics very much like the trainers that my mates used to buy lol
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
So a lil analogy I used to use back in the day when my mates brought the latest designer sports trainers "will they make you run faster or jump higher?" And most would have to admit no. But in this case will the wonky label effect the shave? Well in most cases it will only effect the aesthetics very much like the trainers that my mates used to buy lol
^^^ What he said!

But with SOTD posting experience, one tends to get concerned with looks too, doesn't one?
 

Dr Watson

James
Thanks for the input gents, so it seems although I'm not alone there are probably just as many who aren't bothered by such things. Knowing I'm not an utter loon I will complain next time... Sods law, there won't be a next time, everything will be perfect henceforth
 

R181

Grumpy old man
So a lil analogy I used to use back in the day when my mates brought the latest designer sports trainers "will they make you run faster or jump higher?" And most would have to admit no. But in this case will the wonky label effect the shave? Well in most cases it will only effect the aesthetics very much like the trainers that my mates used to buy lol
That analogy might not work in all circumstances. It may be fine to have a wonky label on a stick of Arko but not so much on soap costing $40+. Yet they will both lather well and allow a good shave.

Bob
 

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
That analogy might not work in all circumstances. It may be fine to have a wonky label on a stick of Arko but not so much on soap costing $40+. Yet they will both lather well and allow a good shave.

Bob
Lol if it is it offends thee once complain, and if it offends thee twice do not buy it again
 
Top