Against the grain in the first pass?

Estariol

Forum GOD!
Today i've spoken to a fellow shaver, and told him i've started using shavettes, he asked me if i tried to go ATG in the first pass. When i said no, he told me to try, since shavettes and straight razors "allow" something like that, DE razors not so much...
So i did.
And HO. LY. GuacaMOLY! 3 days growth, Feather SS clone with the Pro Super blade, started slowly untill i've figured out the angle, and BAM! One-pass BBS on my cheeks and sideburns, no pickups needed! My neck is a diffrent story because of the growth direction, so 2 passes and pickups there, but man, what a revelation! Not to talk about the benefit for the skin from less contact with the blade...
I'l definitely try this with my other shavettes as well.
So... Did anyone else try this?
 

R181

Grumpy old man
If it works for you, why not? Personally I have not done that with a DE or a real straight razor, never used a shavette. I do multi passes to slowly reduce the stubble.

Bob
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Depends on which way the hair grows. One man's ATG is another WTG.

I do mix it up with straights at times but prefer to do a first pass knockdown pass followed a more detailed second, but I agree, two passes and you're done.
 

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I always go against the grain, but not on the first pass. Usually the third in most areas.. second pass in other areas. But, I'll give it a try..

PS.. I generally do a four pass shave... Hence, my face cannot take shaving every day.
 

Estariol

Forum GOD!
I always go against the grain, but not on the first pass. Usually the third in most areas.. second pass in other areas. But, I'll give it a try..

PS.. I generally do a four pass shave... Hence, my face cannot take shaving every day.
My skin needs at least a 2 day recovery period, so i can shave as soon as the 3rd day, if sooner i get irritations on the neck in some areas. I tried with my straight today, just to check if it's possible, since it's lighter and thinner than my Feather SS clone and AC blades. And hot damn it was. But i did finish the pickups with the clone, first of all because of familiarity, second of all because i decided to turn my regular goatee into a Van Dyke variation.

P. S. @BlacknTan , if you really wil try, i humbly suggest one extra day of growth than usual, for the first time.

P. P. S. And it wasn't the same soap, TDS Evergreen gave a much more suitable lather for a straight razor shave.
 
Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Should also add if I have a couple of days growth I have been known to go with a pre shave oil, only a little well rubbed in. Never found a negative effect on lather.
 

Masamune

Forum GOD!
I've only tried this with my brass Hone type 15 as an experiment. I need to try with my Micromatic.

Always go ATG in a regular 3-pass shave but the final pass.
 
Top