Advice Needed Re: Unreasonable eBay Buyer

SeanC

Forum GOD!
A chronological summary of events:
  • Listed very good condition English made Gillette razor on eBay. I've used the razor and it works perfectly
  • Razor thoroughly and honestly described and accompanied by 10 photos
  • Listing stated no returns
  • Sold to US buyer with 1,000+ positive feedback
  • I have 600+ completely positive feedback
  • Razor was very securely packed and sent by airmail with tracking / insurance
  • Within a day of receipt, buyer claims that razor is faulty as he cannot load a blade on the centre bar. Aside from my earlier comments about condition, this is in essence impossible as it's piece of solid metal made to standardised specifications
  • Buyer asks for refund via eBay messaging, but complains when told to put proper request through eBay. Expected it just to be given it.
  • Told buyer that unless the laws have physics have been just changed, what he is describing is absolutely impossible
  • Thought he had got the message that I was wasn't going to roll over to his buyers remorse, but 6 days later have just received formal refund request
If this happened in an off-line environment I would just tell the individual concerned to take a running jump, but after reading around a little it seems that eBay will almost certainly take his side regardless of the facts and may even refund him without returning the razor if I don't capitulate.

Although I don't see why I should take a £30+ hit on postage for a completely bogus claim, I'm thinking along the lines of allowing the refund, but then going back to eBay after the event with video evidence as to the razors functionality in the hope they will at least withhold any payment for postage and hopefully terminate his account for abuse of buyer protection process?

Does anybody have any useful suggestions or insight which could help?
 
D

Deleted member 30

Guest
Telephone ebay, calmly and politely explain what happened, (stick to just the facts) and ask for their guidance. In some cases they can and do check to see if this guy has had a number of returns, and if so they will put it in your favor. I had one where Ebay also credited me with the postage I would of lost on a returns. If you don't ask, you won't get. Good luck!
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
The shipping is an issue here, and something you could debate with eBay. I've always found Paypal much more helpful than eBay but if you're the seller that's probably no help. I've sometimes got a little further by speaking to eBay on the telephone, but even then I've come up against brick walls and given up, and indeed lost money for no good reason.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I want to ask a similar question;

If we buy from a website.. Any site. We receive a razor. The razor is fine. We are sneaky people and tell them that the razor came broken.

Is it possible to send us another one for free? Because I strongly believe that some scam people do this.
 

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I wouldn't refund anything until you have your razor back and then apon inspection, should all be well with the razor then you can contact Ebay, send pictures ect and fight the postal costs then. Make sure you put him on your "no sale list" in your settings so he can't attempt this again.
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
Unfortunately I had a couple of bad selling experiences and not used eBay since. It seems the buyer wins, end of conversation. As mentioned the only thing you can do is grit your teeth and move on. Life's too short to dwell on it.

.... But it is bloody annoying!!!! :-(
 

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Sorry to hear such a unfortunate experience. He's deliberately trying to puzzle/confuse you.
Another voice here to support that either potentially best courses of action have already been suggested.
My wishes you get sorted soonest and put all that behind you Sean.
 

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Yeah the 2 best options have been suggested. Call eBay/PayPal ask them for advice. And/or accept the return. And only refund when you get the razor back...
Thanks all. Going to get on the case tomorrow in line with the above, but will really turn up the heat with eBay when I get it back if they don't properly enforce their own policies. I've taken on HMRC (tax), building management company and my ex as litigant in person, winning all three, so quite happy to mix it if necessary.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
 
Top