Acquisitions August 2017

Mikey J

Forum HOG!
I know what you mean. I had the same experience with Night Music, now it's my favourite B&M scent.
When I finally received Lavanille, I already had an idea what to expect.
Now try to hunt down some Roam :wink:
Roam is a scent you have to kind of come to terms with IMO. Disgusted by it on first sniff but 24 hours later I had an unusual urge to go back to it. This went on for a few days until I decided it was a definite keeper. LGC was the same but a step along the love/hate spectrum. Started off a bit meh, and ended up being my favourite scent.
 

Geofnay

Forum GOD!
A couple of things for August:
I'd always hankered after an English Gillette Aristocrat and chanced upon a cased #15 for £20-odd! The case has seen better days - it's missing the blade holder, for example - but the razor has seen little use, probably because the press-fit collar needs re-crimping to make the razor doors open properly. It's eminently useable but I might look to sort it out, eventually.
Next is a rare Seiko 6458 with an even rarer 200m dial, which escaped customs' attention.
I'll try to post some pics ...
 
Last edited:

mr. smith

Forum GOD!
I live in Naples, Italy and since I began wet shaving, I wanted the Santa Maria Novella Cream. A few months ago, I contacted the SMN office and asked where I could buy their cream in Naples. They were extremely kind and traded emails back and forth with me and eventually they gave me a shop that is licensed to sell their goods. I had been wanting to go for months and months but life's responsibilities would not allow me until Thursday afternoon. I finished my work at the office and turned on the GPS to guide me there. Fortunately for me it was still August and Naples is rather quiet during that one month out of the year. I found a parking garage and then walked a block or so until I reached the store.

Once inside the store, I was greeted warmly by Fabrizio and Signor Cilento himself (7th generation) and I asked about the Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. I was promptly shown the small section where they have the high end shaving software displayed. I was so excited that I went with the post shave lotion. Fabrizio and I were speaking and I told him how bad I had wanted to find the SMN brand. During this time, he began showing me the store. He showed me the high end items that only royalty would be able to afford and many of the items with the Cilento name that were made in house. This store has been around since 1780 and they are on their 8th generation of the Cilento name. Fabrizio showed me many historic pieces that were held on to and passed down from generation to generation. The store was so beautiful and I was so mad at myself for not taking some photos. I realized my mistake once I left the store; actually, I was about to walk out without even grabbing my goods!! Fabrizio had to stop me and say, "you forgot something."

I had a great time in there and will definitely be going back once my SMN shaving cream runs out or if I want one of the Cilento custom blended colognes. Each one of the colognes has a theme that can be applied to live in Napoli. There are neck ties as well for each of these themes. I remember a couple of them; there was the hammer and nails for the carpentry that happens there and there was also the "sette pieghi" or seven folds; this is referring to a tying a necktie.

I did ask Fabrizio to see if he could get a 360 degree view added to the website so that you can take a tour of the store and look at all of their historical heirlooms that have been passed down through 8 generations of the Cilento name.

I plan on using this combination for tomorrow's shave of the day.
Santa Maria Novella.JPG
 

Lann

Forum GOD!
Excellent story Josh. Sounds like you had a very interesting and enjoyable visit. I hope you enjoy the Santa Maria Novella cream and I look forward to hearing your impressions shortly.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
I live in Naples, Italy and since I began wet shaving, I wanted the Santa Maria Novella Cream. A few months ago, I contacted the SMN office and asked where I could buy their cream in Naples. They were extremely kind and traded emails back and forth with me and eventually they gave me a shop that is licensed to sell their goods. I had been wanting to go for months and months but life's responsibilities would not allow me until Thursday afternoon. I finished my work at the office and turned on the GPS to guide me there. Fortunately for me it was still August and Naples is rather quiet during that one month out of the year. I found a parking garage and then walked a block or so until I reached the store.

Once inside the store, I was greeted warmly by Fabrizio and Signor Cilento himself (7th generation) and I asked about the Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. I was promptly shown the small section where they have the high end shaving software displayed. I was so excited that I went with the post shave lotion. Fabrizio and I were speaking and I told him how bad I had wanted to find the SMN brand. During this time, he began showing me the store. He showed me the high end items that only royalty would be able to afford and many of the items with the Cilento name that were made in house. This store has been around since 1780 and they are on their 8th generation of the Cilento name. Fabrizio showed me many historic pieces that were held on to and passed down from generation to generation. The store was so beautiful and I was so mad at myself for not taking some photos. I realized my mistake once I left the store; actually, I was about to walk out without even grabbing my goods!! Fabrizio had to stop me and say, "you forgot something."

I had a great time in there and will definitely be going back once my SMN shaving cream runs out or if I want one of the Cilento custom blended colognes. Each one of the colognes has a theme that can be applied to live in Napoli. There are neck ties as well for each of these themes. I remember a couple of them; there was the hammer and nails for the carpentry that happens there and there was also the "sette pieghi" or seven folds; this is referring to a tying a necktie.

I did ask Fabrizio to see if he could get a 360 degree view added to the website so that you can take a tour of the store and look at all of their historical heirlooms that have been passed down through 8 generations of the Cilento name.

I plan on using this combination for tomorrow's shave of the day.
View attachment 17220
Wow, great story! Who wouldn’t want to visit that store!? Naples here I come!
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Now try to hunt down some Roam :wink:
Good luck! I’m down to the last 1/4 of my glissant version and try to save. It had me at hello, contrary to @Mikey J’s experience. (The matching Kyovu splash oth, now that is tarry!)
 

morr

Forum GOD!
Good luck! I’m down to the last 1/4 of my glissant version and try to save. It had me at hello, contrary to @Mikey J’s experience. (The matching Kyovu splash oth, now that is tarry!)
I only have a sample that I'm hesitant to lather since it's not yet certain if it's coming back (probably is, but still).
The scent is... something else for sure.
 
Top