TOBS no.50 pass around

Dr Watson

James
TOBS No.50 sample shave #1

It's an unusual cream, very thin consistency and yet also grainy at the same time... I prefer thicker creams but it doesnt really matter I suppose, just messier this way for face lathering.

Performance: I used what I guessed to be around 2g of product, I recently discovered creams weigh less than I thought so I've been guilty of not using enough product for the past 2 years... Best not be shy with it and use a good dollop to be safe :) Enough lather for 4 passes was whipped up quickly and easily, once on the face it has quite a dense consistency, not foamy at all which is appreciated, cushion was good however slickness was just average compared to some other creams which presumably have a higher glycerine content. Immediate post-shave felt fine, no apparent issues and yet 20 minutes later my face felt incredibly tight and dry despite using a very oily aftershave... It feels just like my hands did after yesterday's test lather.

Scent: Yep, it changed again! Back to how I thought it smelt initially actually. Once lathered up and on the face it smelt like a TdH clone with a synthetic aquatic note blended in... I keep coming back to TdH as all software with that scent instantly reminds me of chocolate with orange oil (Terry's etc) and this No.50 does exactly the same thing... Unfortunately its a scent I despise and the added aquatic note feels discordant, cheap, poorly executed... There, I said it :( Of course this is all YMMV, if you enjoy modern Cologne scents then it might be right up your alley.

Overall I would say performance, for me, is no better than the regular TOBS line up (in fact I prefer their denser texture and superior post shave properties) and the scent is also unfortunately a wash out. That said its great to see new creams being released at a time when all other major houses seem to be discontinuing lines so good on you TOBS :thumbsup:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
TOBS No.50 sample shave #1

It's an unusual cream, very thin consistency and yet also grainy at the same time... I prefer thicker creams but it doesnt really matter I suppose, just messier this way for face lathering.

Performance: I used what I guessed to be around 2g of product, I recently discovered creams weigh less than I thought so I've been guilty of not using enough product for the past 2 years... Best not be shy with it and use a good dollop to be safe :) Enough lather for 4 passes was whipped up quickly and easily, once on the face it has quite a dense consistency, not foamy at all which is appreciated, cushion was good however slickness was just average compared to some other creams which presumably have a higher glycerine content. Immediate post-shave felt fine, no apparent issues and yet 20 minutes later my face felt incredibly tight and dry despite using a very oily aftershave... It feels just like my hands did after yesterday's test lather.

Scent: Yep, it changed again! Back to how I thought it smelt initially actually. Once lathered up and on the face it smelt like a TdH clone with a synthetic aquatic note blended in... I keep coming back to TdH as all software with that scent instantly reminds me of chocolate with orange oil (Terry's etc) and this No.50 does exactly the same thing... Unfortunately its a scent I despise and the added aquatic note feels discordant, cheap, poorly executed... There, I said it :( Of course this is all YMMV, if you enjoy modern Cologne scents then it might be right up your alley.

Overall I would say performance, for me, is no better than the regular TOBS line up (in fact I prefer their denser texture and superior post shave properties) and the scent is also unfortunately a wash out. That said its great to see new creams being released at a time when all other major houses seem to be discontinuing lines so good on you TOBS :thumbsup:
Sorry it turned out to be a bit disappointing. I do agree with the performance aspect. TOBS Avocado is my favourite for post skin feel. It is also IMO more slick than no.50.

Dr Watson

James
Sorry it turned out to be a bit disappointing. I do agree with the performance aspect. TOBS Avocado is my favourite for post skin feel. It is also IMO more slick than no.50.
That's okay Nishy, I'm sure it'll suit some shavers just fine but I think they may be stretching it a bit pricing at £15... That is about 36% higher than their regular line up and well into T&H / GFT territory and the quality just doesnt stand up against them.

TOBS should stick to what they do best: Value for money.

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Pre: Warm water face wash
Brush: S_J Zebrano 24mm ST
Cream: TOBS No.50 (sample)
Razor: Gem MMFW
Blade: Gem Stainless PTFE
Post: Warm then cold water rinse, Floid Mentolado Vigoroso ASL
IMG_20180830_123916.jpg

Thanks @Nishy for the TOBS cream.
Not a bad shave, but the scent isn't really for me and although I didn't find it drying, the post shave is nonexistent.
Not one I'll be buying.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Laage

Forum GOD!
A bit late to the game. I received the sample in the mail this week. Thank you Nishy and TOBS.
Haven't had a chance to test it yet, unfortunately.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Sample arrived last night and I found it to be very similar to Dr Wason's experience. A very gritty/congealed cream but a decent shave none the less.
Scent wise it is very soft but that's ok. It is a pity as I really do like Tobs soaps but I pre fair their solid pucks and sticks.
Still, thank you Nishy for the opportunity and for all your generosity in partaking in this endeavour :bravo::bravo::bravo::thumbsup::bravo::bravo:.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks for the update chaps. I would definitely like to.try a hard puck in this scent profile. Unfortunately I assume the lather qualities wouldn't surpass what I consider top tier.

pimple8

Forum GOD!
Been away for a few days, picked my sample today.
Thank you very much Nishy.
Will report my impressions when i get the chance.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Dr Watson

James
Thought I'd give it another run out this morning :)

It took around 4g of product to produce a usable lather, for comparison T&H creams require 3g and GFT the least at 2.5g (I suspect this is due to my hard water.) The lather wasnt what you would expect from a tub of TOBS... It was dense, stringy and very sticky - Reminded me very much of Myrsol shaving cream which also requires huge amounts of product to obtain a good lather.

The shave went without issue, 2 passes plus touch ups, no nicks cuts or irritation. The scent seemed to be much more subdued to me this time, I could mostly detect orange blossom and that annoying aquatic note... I suppose its fairly inoffensive but on the whole it smells like a generic skin cream or something of that ilk, certainly not befitting the name "classic fragrance" TOBS has bestowed upon it.

Post shave my skin was sticky, rinse/alum/rinse and all was much improved though I do still sit here with a dry and tight face, the latter is usual after using alum but the feeling is much more pronounced today lol.

So my final verdict isn't much different to my previous effort but I had to give it another chance. To my mind it has very little going for it and the higher price compared to other (superior) TOBS offerings seems ludicrous.

Last edited:

pimple8

Forum GOD!
I forgot to post on this.
Prior to this one I have only tried the Grapefruit cream which had a far stronger scent and with character. No 50's scent is mild and sort of boring to me. I feel citrus notes but i can't define what is it's primary note. Not unpleasant or offensive but I like more character in a soap/cream.
In terms of performance it is very decent - lathers easily, solid cushion and slickness. Similiar to grapefruit cream. No real objections.
Forgot to check on the post shave.

I will buy a TOBS cream but not No 50.
I would like more of a distinct masculine scent.
Once again thanks on the opportunity to try this cream!

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

pimple8

Forum GOD!
Yes I already browsed a little, Mr Taylor seems interesting. I have a Sandalwood in a hard soap version.

Dr Watson

James
Yes I already browsed a little, Mr Taylor seems interesting. I have a Sandalwood in a hard soap version.
Mr Taylor is similar to T&H Grafton, which is similar but not identical to Rive Gauche... To give you an idea of the scent family.

pimple8

Forum GOD!
WOOOOOW. You just made my day better @Dr Watson
One of my favorite scents is Fine American Blend/PAA CaD which are based on YSL Rive Gauche (which i never tried) so anything close to it is very very appealing to me.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Mr. Taylors is fantastic, I also really enjoy Sandalwood, Eton college and Avocado. Mr. Sidney has been discontinued but it's absolutely fantastic.