Some Shavemac questions

Marcos

Forum GOD!
Gents I am configuring a new brush and would like some advice please. The current top brush in my rotation is a Paladin PK47 (non M&F) 26x52mm. I find the tips soft and the knot dense but not so much as to sacrifice flow through.

I would like some recommendations on configuring a Shavemac brush. I have a very sensitive face and cannot tolerate any scritch or scratch. Only mild scrub at best. I require very soft tips and would like a gel tip feeling brush. I want the brush to be no denser than my current Paladin as to not affect lather release. I would like the spec to be similar somewhere around 26x52 give or take and in bulb. Would I be better off going for 2 band silvertip or unique density 2 band in order to obtain gel tip type brush?

@Nishy and others any input? Thank you!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The best answer I can give is that you should send Bernd those exact requests, you have above. He will then know exactly what size will suit you and has been spot on with my descriptions.

In my mind, it is a difficult one, the standard 2 band bulb around 26/56 screams out. But it depends on to what extent you want scrub and if you like your lather placement more direct whilst remaining 'plush' and not 'pointed'. Forget any scritch or scratch, as you will have directed Bernd. The unique knot that would be ideal in my opinion as well as giving you an excellent fan experience, would be the 2 band fan 26/54. It is it sitting on the border of having acceptable backbone to my tastes. This at 56mm, I would consider too floppy, with too much much splay. So again consider that an option if you like your very light scrub.

Hope that makes sense :)

Marcos

Forum GOD!
Does the unique density utilize standard 2 band silvertip hair (but just more of it)? Or is it a different type of hair similar to how the D01 two band is a different type of hair than 2 band silvertip?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Does the unique density utilize standard 2 band silvertip hair (but just more of it)? Or is it a different type of hair similar to how the D01 two band is a different type of hair than 2 band silvertip?
Same hair just a higher density, I think the D01 2 band is the same hair as well, just an even higher density.

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Bit of a thread revival, but I have a question:

P1050336.JPG

I sent the far left brush (Rubberset style) to Bernd for a re-knot, and he installed a flat top Silvertip D01 knot.

At this moment in time this brush has half a dozen shaves on its back.

I find the subject flat top knot to be very dense, much denser than the other two German brushes shown in the picture (all three brushes constitute my present rotation). Most important, I find the flat top knot to exhibit inferior water and lather retention during the shave, as compared to the other two Two-Band bulb knot brushes.

Is that expected? (not questioning if the subject knot is defective, simply wondering if this indeed is the type of behaviour one expects from it)

I understand that Bernd's D01 knots are ultra dense, my question is: will this knot soften over time and will therefore the water and lather retention properties during the shave improve after 30-40 shaves?

Thanks in advance gents.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Great question. I enjoyed reading your observations. I don't find my flat top to behave like this. When comparing my flat top knot and the Shavemac you have used:
IMG_3724.jpg

The flat top definitely has more backbone and more of a direct feel. I don't feel any scratch or stiff hairs, in this regard I find the DO1 2 band to differ greatly fan especially.

It loads with ease and the water stays at the tips no holding back. Painting isn't messy either, lather placement is direct.

Your flat top appears to be more of a 3 band. Not sure how this would differ if so.

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Thank you Avnish.

Indeed, my knot in that aluminium Rubberset-style handle is "DO1 Silvertip", not "DO1 Silvertip Two-Band" - Shavemac offers and sells both these knots and when I did the re-knot I opted for the former...

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thank you Avnish.

Indeed, my knot in that aluminium Rubberset-style handle is "DO1 Silvertip", not "DO1 Silvertip Two-Band" - Shavemac offers and sells both these knots and when I did the re-knot I opted for the former...
PM me your address and I'll send my flat top for your perusal.