New Scrupleworks strop

MichaelS

Forum GOD!
It is a very fast strop and you have to be careful, but my preference is for fast draws anyways. Those are especially good for heavier grinds and more steel touches the leather surface and the draw gets slightly heavier. I find stropping on lighter draw easier as the friction between the steel and leather is minimal and the stop doesn’t “grip” the razor and cause misalignment that can damage the strop. I had this happen couple of times with a heavier draw strops.
I have the linen piece he sells as a separate component, but find it a bit too abrasive for daily use. I use it after coticule finishes mostly.
Heavier grinds on fast strops to slow down the draw: great idea, thanks! Maybe the opposite i.e. hollower grinds on slow strops to speed up the draw works too? Will experiment with both for sure.

I just received a beautiful flax linen strop off of ebay by as seller named davidwork2003. It's competitively priced and he uses leather end-caps and hardware from a well respected strop maker. I haven't used it just yet, but I was impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of the strop. I finally get to test out a flax linen strop, I'm very excited (I'm a razor nerd). Dave also restores Sheffield razors and though I have never personally bought any of his razors, the work he does looks first rate.

Does anyone have experience using flax linen strops, thoughts on how they perform vs. other materials?

SammieM

Forum GOD!
I just received a beautiful flax linen strop off of ebay by as seller named davidwork2003. It's competitively priced and he uses leather end-caps and hardware from a well respected strop maker. I haven't used it just yet, but I was impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of the strop. I finally get to test out a flax linen strop, I'm very excited (I'm a razor nerd). Dave also restores Sheffield razors and though I have never personally bought any of his razors, the work he does looks first rate.

Does anyone have experience using flax linen strops, thoughts on how they perform vs. other materials?
As I mentioned before, I have a Scruppleworks one and I also have the 3” one from Westholme. They work perfectly. As a matter of fact, they might reduce the need to touch up razors since they seem to be polishing better than cotton. This goes true for razors made from softer steels. For harder steel, I don’t think it makes much of a difference.

Last edited: