Dialling in a razor

jeepie

Forum GOD!
I'm getting more and more convinced that any of my razors - I have some nice ones - will shave superbly if I just give them time to dial in.

I took my Feather AS-D2 on holiday as a mild shaver but was getting awful shaves from it as I didn't have it dialled in as I'd been using more aggressive razors like my Ti2.

Do you think the impression one has of a razor being great/good/perfect is in fact just technique related? Or is it just me that finds it hard to pick up my Cobra one day; my Ti2 the next and the Wolfmann the day after.

It seems the switching is causing me issues, rather than razor per se.

Thoughts?
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Or is it just me that finds it hard to pick up my Cobra one day; my Ti2 the next and the Wolfmann the day after.

It seems the switching is causing me issues, rather than razor per se.

Thoughts?
No I have the same problem, hence never having more than about 7 razors and now finally nailing it down to 2/3.
Most don’t seem to have the same problem
I like a quick two pass shave, that could be part of the problem, not taking time
Muscle memory could be another
I guess it all boils down to technique, if you can remember which razors shave a certain way and can be arsed to take the time over it
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I have 30 razors but only 10 of those are out and used as part of a regular "rotation". But even among the 10 I probably only use 4 or 5 on a regular basis. But I do tend to switch razors every shave. That said, I find that my worst shaves come when I am rushed. And when I am rushed my technique suffers and my face suffers even more. But when I take my time I can get a BBS shave from almost any of my razors. So I agree with Holyzeus that technique is the one thing you need to ensure a good close comfortable shave. And technique extends not only to using your razor but also making lather and applying it properly.
 
I have a regular rotation of 13 razors..tend to use what would suit the level of growth I have at the time..if I am shaving daily something milder and SB and if I am lazy and haven't shaved for a bit, something more efficient and aggressive and possible OC. Other than that it's what I fancy at the time.
 

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I'm getting more and more convinced that any of my razors - I have some nice ones - will shave superbly if I just give them time to dial in.

I took my Feather AS-D2 on holiday as a mild shaver but was getting awful shaves from it as I didn't have it dialled in as I'd been using more aggressive razors like my Ti2.

Do you think the impression one has of a razor being great/good/perfect is in fact just technique related? Or is it just me that finds it hard to pick up my Cobra one day; my Ti2 the next and the Wolfmann the day after.

It seems the switching is causing me issues, rather than razor per se.

Thoughts?
You must do what gives you the best of shaves and if that means not chopping and changing the razors you use then so be it.
I for some reason have no problem in using a different razor every day and nearly always get a great shave, some razors need more care than others so I always take my time .
We are not all the same so do what works for you. :) P.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes, I think if you want consistently good shaves from a razor it is better to use only it for a period of time to get accustomed to what technique works best with it. Each razor can be slightly different in how it likes to be treated and changing daily does not allow you time to dial that in.

Bob
 

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
Used to switch razors almost every shave. Add to that variations in blades and soaps, and the shaves were all over the place.

Now, I try to use a single razor & blade for at least six consecutive shaves (often more). The shaves seem to get noticeably better after two or three runs, when the razor has once again become familiar, and the blade has been broken in.
 
It's the same with anything that mostly relies on muscle memory. If you drive a different car everyday when you first pass your test it's hard to drive smoothly in any of them. After a few years of driving everyday in different vehicles it takes next to no time to be smooth in anything you end up in. If you only drive a Mini for the first 4 years and then get into a Transit...
 
Top