Chasing the new, dismissing the old

Wayne

Forum Sod
My old sparring partner the illustrious Mr Steve Bowles has just reminded me of a topic a lot of us still indulge in. Chasing new release razors. Let's face it, a lot of us like something new to hold :wink: and are often intoxicated by our new purchases to such an extent that our old faithfuls are forgotten as 'Not as good' as the shiney new gleaming razor currently flavour of the month. I'm no exception of course. I cannot remember the amount of times I literally have had to force myself to shave with one of my older purchases and once used I cannot believe why the hell I even bought the new one!
The answer of course is I'm a razor whore. This morning I have used my Black Oxide Blackbird. I was reaching for the Nodachi but put the brakes on and thought 'Let's give the BB a run out' Gillette Yellow loaded and lather by A&E and Oh my word! What a shave it was, super smooth, easy and very enjoyable. I understand totally the lure of the new but Gent's we all have super gear sitting there on the shelf like Old Shep, a little unloved but still more than capable of providing that super BBS every bit as easily as the Shiny new razor. Why not try a nostalgic shave this weekend. It may surprise you too.
 

Fozzie Bear

Forum Clod!
Hello my name is Fozzie and i have a problem!... Yes Wayne i guess i am in that boat that as well. I have a small collection of Razors and have settled on using three of them on a regular basis. They all provide perfectly nice shaves in various states of stubble growth, yet i still out for that next best thing razor. Maybe it will be that little bit smoother...etc etc!.
 

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I call the fascination with the ‘new and shiny’ the magpie syndrome. I suffer from it with shaving brushes, vintage fountain pens and mechanical watches. Unfortunately it tends to become quite expensive. Fortunately, I’ve been able to resist it when it comes to wives.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
...a prescient post for me as my experience with a number of new razors has been less than great. I have come to admire the humble R89, Progress and R41 more after using many other more expensive razors. Of course brass or SS is lovely eye candy and if your lucky they meet your performance preferences; but weight, balance and geometry are more important to me now even if the razor is zamak. I also have determined that a chromed razor head glides much better on my skin than polished SS or brass.
 

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
When I first started out on this forum, I have to admit I overwhelmed and jealous of all the different SS or Brass finished razors and was still learning about Open/Closed combs but with getting the chance to try various models via the ATG Pass around's :). The last razor I purchased was a Colonial "General v1" brass which I absolutely love but hate the patina build up. What I have learned, is that I love a polished brass finish to a patina or cold stainless steel and that I don't like black oxide but a Blackland Blackbird in brass, is stunning and something I might go for in the future. The only new razor that I am interested in is the Razorock "Hulk" other than that I am content with my vintage Schick, Gillette open combs, techs and more modern Muhle/Merkur razors.
Just because something's old, doesn't mean it is useless :okay:
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
I have tried many different razors, but have stuck with my trio of mongoose, asd2 and PILs for a long time now. I have occasionally bought another but sold it when it couldn't topple any of the three.

I guess I'm lucky in many regards as I just got sick of buying and then selling at a loss. As such I have totally (???) cured my RAD and I don't have old and forgotten razors.

Also I have learned a lot from our wonderful pass around. Mostly that those razors won't topple my top 3. The pass around have saved me a LOT of money!!! :)
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
...a prescient post for me as my experience with a number of new razors has been less than great. I have come to admire the humble R89, Progress and R41 more after using many other more expensive razors. Of course brass or SS is lovely eye candy and if your lucky they meet your performance preferences; but weight, balance and geometry are more important to me now even if the razor is zamak. I also have determined that a chromed razor head glides much better on my skin than polished SS or brass.
+1
 

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Other than my 1962 birth year Gillette Slim, I've sold all the previous razors I no longer require. Down to just two brands now, acquired relatively recently.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
When I first started out on this forum, I have to admit I overwhelmed and jealous of all the different SS or Brass finished razors and was still learning about Open/Closed combs but with getting the chance to try various models via the ATG Pass around's :). The last razor I purchased was a Colonial "General v1" brass which I absolutely love but hate the patina build up. What I have learned, is that I love a polished brass finish to a patina or cold stainless steel and that I don't like black oxide but a Blackland Blackbird in brass, is stunning and something I might go for in the future. The only new razor that I am interested in is the Razorock "Hulk" other than that I am content with my vintage Schick, Gillette open combs, techs and more modern Muhle/Merkur razors.
Just because something's old, doesn't mean it is useless :okay:
3 minutes of Brasso and any Brass razor is gleaming again. It takes less than 5 mins to keep them looking pristine
 
Top