Blades maketh the razor sometimes.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I don’t think people give enough thought into which blade suits which razor sometimes. Let’s take the Rex for example, I had one and sold it as for me it felt aggressive, even at lower numbers. I have settled on Gillette Yellows for all my razors. They have served me really well so far. On acquiring a new Rex to “let’s go round again” (Thanks AWB) I again installed the beloved yellow and again found it aggressive, edgy and ‘bitey’
I changed the blade for a Shark....Bingo! BBS, no irritation and far less aggressive feeling. It changed the feel of the razor completely.
Before dismissing a razor for any reason try changing to a sharper or duller blade, it may make all the difference.
 
It's true, Wayne for example ..love my ATT H2 . It's an amazing shave with Polsilvers..BUT put a Feather in it's just too harsh.
Then again a Feather in a 0.84 Game Changer top notch.
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I don’t think people give enough thought into which blade suits which razor sometimes. Let’s take the Rex for example, I had one and sold it as for me it felt aggressive, even at lower numbers. I have settled on Gillette Yellows for all my razors. They have served me really well so far. On acquiring a new Rex to “let’s go round again” (Thanks AWB) I again installed the beloved yellow and again found it aggressive, edgy and ‘bitey’
I changed the blade for a Shark....Bingo! BBS, no irritation and far less aggressive feeling. It changed the feel of the razor completely.
Before dismissing a razor for any reason try changing to a sharper or duller blade, it may make all the difference.
I like both the blades mentioned and tend to get on with most DE blades (Derbys effect my skin for some reason) in most DE razors but I'm yet to try a Feather in a R41, so that opinion may change.
Go SE less choice, so no confusion :D
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I like both the blades mentioned and tend to get on with most DE blades (Derbys effect my skin for some reason) in most DE razors but I'm yet to try a Feather in a R41, so that opinion may change.
Go SE less choice, so no confusion :D
I have a Mongoose which I like when in the mood but as for 1912’s and their kind I really do not like those Personna blades, on my skin they are really rough so not for me at all.
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I have a Mongoose which I like when in the mood but as for 1912’s and their kind I really do not like those Personna blades, on my skin they are really rough so not for me at all.
I couldn't get on with the Mongoose (shock, horror) but there are great AC SEs out there like the Cobra, General, Vector etc.
Have you tried a carbon blade in a vintage SE? The stainless ones can be a bit harsh on the first shave.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I couldn't get on with the Mongoose (shock, horror) but there are great AC SEs out there like the Cobra, General, Vector etc.
Have you tried a carbon blade in a vintage SE? The stainless ones can be a bit harsh on the first shave.
To be honest, no. I'm not as enthusuastic with to own SE razors. I kinda cracked it first time with the Goose, although, I do have a hankering to try the Vector. I did have a Cobra on loan but it didn't do anything the Goose couldn't
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
To be honest, no. I'm not as enthusuastic with to own SE razors. I kinda cracked it first time with the Goose, although, I do have a hankering to try the Vector. I did have a Cobra on loan but it didn't do anything the Goose couldn't
This is definitely a ymmv hobby, the Cobra is the most effortless and efficient razor I've used. The Vector is nearly there.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I don’t think people give enough thought into which blade suits which razor sometimes. Let’s take the Rex for example, I had one and sold it as for me it felt aggressive, even at lower numbers. I have settled on Gillette Yellows for all my razors. They have served me really well so far. On acquiring a new Rex to “let’s go round again” (Thanks AWB) I again installed the beloved yellow and again found it aggressive, edgy and ‘bitey’
I changed the blade for a Shark....Bingo! BBS, no irritation and far less aggressive feeling. It changed the feel of the razor completely.
Before dismissing a razor for any reason try changing to a sharper or duller blade, it may make all the difference.
Shark and Polsilver happy days
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
This is definitely a ymmv hobby, the Cobra is the most effortless and efficient razor I've used. The Vector is nearly there.
See, I was very underwhelmed by the Cobra! Maybe it was because my expectations were too high!?
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I agree with this. But I haven't taken the time to evaluate which blades work best with which razors. I'd have to keep a journal of my shaves to keep track of it all. Ah, what the heck. I don't have anything better to do. I'm sure I could extract some enhanced performance by going through this exercise. But I'll keep it to my current rotation of about 8 razors and the following blades:

Gillette Silver Blue
Polsilver SI
Feather
Voskhod
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I don’t think people give enough thought into which blade suits which razor sometimes.
I'm in agreement, especially when I read statements like 'I can't get a good shave with a [insert name of blade]' as it is too sharp/too blunt, IMO there are few bad blades out there (of course there are some that are stinkers) but it's more an issue of finding the right blade for the right razor or the right razor for the right blade.

I generally like to put sharp blades into mild razors, and smoother, less sharp blades into razor heads with a bit more bite.
 
Top