Your best adjustable...or adjustables. Pics or not, your choice....

GoHabs

Forum GOD!
The 6S is a wonderful shaver and extremely smooth.

I think the best adjustable right now is the Variant. Improves on the Progress. Would love to see a three inch handle.
I completely agree about the handle. It's way too long for my liking.

Used to have a Merkur Progress but sold it..didn't like the weird knob/dial thing at the bottom, just looked out of place. Still, was a very good razor. Now I have too many razors at the minute to contemplate buying another...haha yeah we'll see:roflmao:

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
By far it has to be the Personna Precision Adjustable... May just be the best shaving razor I have in my den..cranked all the way up it's smooth shaving and close.. can't ask for any thing better.. I also despise white shaving items.. so I had triad make me a brass handle for it.. makes it heavier and more balanced..
Remarkably similar to the Gibbs no #17.

kypros

Forum GOD!
The 6S is a wonderful shaver and extremely smooth.

I think the best adjustable right now is the Variant. Improves on the Progress. Would love to see a three inch handle.
Yes the smoothness is amazing and I don't own another razor as smooth as the 6S. I would like you to elaborate on the subject of the Variant Vs the progress please, because I don't seem to find a setting on the progress to agree with me and also it's not a smooth shaver in my books.

scottb7862

Forum GOD!
I'm not quite up to speed with the Gibbs #'s does the #17 take modern DE blades? I know one of them takes proprietary blades, not sure of the number on that one..Luckily the Personna takes modern DE blades.. and yes they are VERY similar!!

p.b

Forum GOD!
How does it improve on the progress? For me the Progress is brilliant so an even better one would be very interesting. Thanks.

Franklin Furter

Forum GOD!
Yes the smoothness is amazing and I don't own another razor as smooth as the 6S. I would like you to elaborate on the subject of the Variant Vs the progress please, because I don't seem to find a setting on the progress to agree with me and also it's not a smooth shaver in my books.

This.

IMO, the Progress is not at all a smooth shaver, and I think it may involve its oversize head and the extreme bend of its cap.

image.jpeg

(L) 34 HD; (M) Progress; (R) Merkur 1904 Classic

The Progress bends the blade to an extreme angle, and this seems to present a difficulty in finding a correct angle at any setting.

Last edited:

Conservator

Forum GOD!
It's interesting how opinions can vary. I started off shaving with a Fat Boy and then a Slim. I ended up buying a Progress close to 50 years later. I liked it so much I bought a long handled one, too. Both were converted to Mergress razors. I find them to be very smooth and give me a great shave.
Mergress.jpg

kypros

Forum GOD!
I found out why my progress is no good. It's among of the faulty ones that slipped through the net. On mine, the exopsure is uneven, also the cap moves from side to side. Once I loaded it with care, it gave me an excellent shave. Today I received the Variant which I'll put to the test tomorrow.

kypros

Forum GOD!
I've just finished my first shave with the new Variant and also used the 6S for comparison.
The Variant is impressive and a bit louder than the 6S. It can be dialed to any aggressiveness level required with the turn of the knob.
Maybe not as smooth as the 6S, but that could be down to the audio feedback which throws things off. I started on setting 4.5 and dialed down to 1 for a true, undisputable BBS2,after three passes and corrections, something I never attempted before with any of my razors.
What does it for me is that I can vary the aggressiveness without having to take the razor apart like I have to do with the 6S.
Truly, this Variant is a keeper and surely on the rotation from now on. If I had to choose my desert island DE razor, I would leave the choice to the gaoler. Either the 6S or the Variant.
BTW, I used my trusted Feather blade on both.