Pass Around Yates Precision Razor Passaround

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Another shave in, this time using the M plate on 3 days growth and I tell you what, this is very impressive! Coped with the longish stubble easily; very very efficient and I am not sure if even the H plate holds any advantage over this one!?
Absolutely tremendous!
I'll have another go, with the H and M back to back and it will be time to move it on.
Baring the humdrum handles, this is a mighty fine shaving instrument.

So who's next, @SeanC, I believe. PM me your details and I'll get it moving.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
1. p.b * Completed *
2. Boycie83 *Completed*
3. wooky114 * Completed*
4. Masamune *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. Morpheus *Completed*
7. Rowlers * Completed*
8. SeanC
9. Chris.Hale
10. slapo
11. bagman
12. Jeepie

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
1. p.b * Completed *
2. Boycie83 *Completed*
3. wooky114 * Completed*
4. Masamune *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. Morpheus *Completed*
7. Rowlers * Completed*
8. SeanC * With*
9. Chris.Hale
10. slapo
11. bagman
12. Jeepie

Last edited:

SeanC

Forum GOD!
A little bit of background first. Currently I usually shave every other day with medium aggressive razors such as the Gamechanger .84 SB or Karve C SB and blades at the sharper end of the spectrum e.g. Gillette Nacet. I aim for a DFS in two passes, plus touch-ups, although about a third of the time I can pull off a BBS following a few years practice.

My initial thoughts were that the razor seemed solid and well made, although the handles definitely seemed a little quirky compared to mainstream. I initially started off with the thin handle and the M plate loaded up with a new Gillette Minora Stainless. Being totally honest, I didn't feel comfortable using this handle, in particular with the initial application to my face, but persevered anyway. Finding the angle was straightforward due to the cap design, but I did notice at times the head stuck to my face similar to the vacuum effect noted with the Winning Razor. Resulting shave was unfortunately not close enough. I persevered with the same head / blade combination on the wide handle. It definitely felt more secure in the hand, but although results were marginally better, they still didn't pass muster.

Logic suggested a move up to the H plate which is exactly what I did whilst retaining the wide handle. This time I used a current St Petersburg Perma-sharp which seems to work well in any razor for me. Although I could feel a little more blade, this felt like a plate that would only bite if provoked. After a minute or so getting used to the new combination, I was able to quickly and confidently deliver my usual two pass DFS, including ATG where necessary. Probably the only minor negative point remaining is that razor is a little challenging to manoeuvre under the nose. This time there were no hints of any 'vacuum' between the top cap and skin. I suspect that it's a combination of the top cap design and narrow blade gap which generates this. I almost tried the EH plate, but the blade exposure felt a bit too much, so I didn't go through with it.

Two more shaves with the H plate / wide handle combination followed, the final was a borderline BBS which was appreciated by my female guest on Saturday night. In summary, the H plate does a very good job for me, although I would prefer to use a different handle. Remodelling the existing wide one to be a centimetre longer at the expense of some width would probably work I feel.

The razor is now ready to continue it's journey to @chris.hale

Last edited:

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
1. p.b * Completed *
2. Boycie83 *Completed*
3. wooky114 * Completed*
4. Masamune *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. Morpheus *Completed*
7. Rowlers * Completed*
8. SeanC * Completed *
9. Chris.Hale
10. slapo
11. bagman
12. Jeepie

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
OK, so first impressions of the Yates.

I really like the bead-blasted finish and if I was to buy one that's likely the one I'd go for. I'd prefer not to have the logo on the top cap but as it's engraved it's not in your face, nevertheless logos on tops caps are not a thing that I like. Except for old Gillettes, I know, double standard. :wink: This is purely a preference thing though and not a deal-breaker. I do like the way they've designed the top cap so that the blade tabs are protected but still accessible for those who struggle to remove the blades otherwise, it's a good way to please both groups.

The short handle just feels wrong. If it was a bit slimmer it would be OK but being as short and fat as it is I really don't like it. The 100mm one is too long but feels like the least-bad option of the two. Speaking of the handles, because Yates have decided to use some weird thread size you can't use your own handle because it won't screw on, and even if it did the recess on the bottom of the plate is really narrow so most of my handles wouldn't fit into it anyway. See photo below with an iKon bulldog.

Never since the PILS has a manufacturer tried so hard to ensure that you use their handle, and the decision to do so is baffling especially considering that the DE razor market is a niche one and swapping handles is something a lot of us do. It's even more confusing when the only two available handles are both at the extremes in terms of length and girth (stop sniggering at the back!) with no middle-ground option available. I know that the manufacturer is aware of this and more handle options are planned but as it stands I think the handle issue alone would be enough to prevent me buying a Yates unless they do come out with a middle-ground and ideally knurled handle. I'm not anticipating grip to be a problem, but I like knurling and as they've gone out of their way to stop me using one of my own handles I can only hope that they release one.

In terms of packaging the razor is nicely presented. I'm a bit of a contrarian here however in that my ideal razor packaging is a sturdy cardboard box, something that will protect the razor but that I don't feel obliged to keep and then have to find a home for even though it probably doesn't have another use. The Yates however is in a tin with foam inserts that I expect would be removable leaving you with a tin that could be repurposed or recycled. Again I think this is a nice way to please both the box-fondlers and those of us who just want to receive the razor undamaged.

Generally my impressions of the razor are very positive apart from the handles.

Will post back later on when I've actually shaved with it.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
First shave in with the Yates.

Brush - Outlaw black aluminium synth.
Soap - Stirling Eucalyptus Mint (love this stuff!).
Blade - Personna blue (first use).
Razor - Yates, H plate.

Having been using my Timeless .95 for the last couple of weeks I went for the H plate instead of the M I would normally have started with. I started with some trepidation but it was baseless and while there was some blade feel it was comfortable and not intimidating. The bend to the blade necessitated holding the handle closer to my face than I would have normally but it wasn't hard to find the angle and I expect it'll feel more natural after a couple of uses. I liked the audio feedback and the shave was close and very comfortable. The next couple of days will be the most telling as I usually find I can get a good shave out of most things on day one whilst I'm paying attention - it's subsequent days when I'm less cautious that problems develop, although in this case I will have the option of stepping down to the M plate. The shave was so pleasant that I actually looked at the bottom of the plate to check that I was using the H.

So far I like this razor.

Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve just been ruminating on the Yates and had a couple of ideas where it could be improved.

- M5 threading. Come on US, the entire rest of the planet uses metric and I know actually a lot of you do too, even if you won’t admit it. :wink:

- Looking at the photo above showing the bulldog handle not fitting, it doesn’t fit by a small margin. I think it may be possible to mill a curve into the sides of the channel at that point to allow more handles to fit without compromising the structural integrity. Filling in the channel to provide a flat surface would also solve the problem although it would add a small amount of mass to the head, change its aesthetic and require a longer threaded post.

Honestly, I’m not expecting them to redesign the thing just because I couldn’t use my favourite handle, but you know, just in case… :)

Having used the long handle yesterday my gripe with the handles is not really the design it’s the proportions. If they did an 85mm x 12mm version of the same design I think I’d be happy with it.

I hope that this comes across as being constructive feedback rather than me knocking the razor, because I really like it.