16/07/2021

Razor: Yates 921-H
Blade: GSB (1)
Brush: Boti NC 24mm
Soap: Stirling MITA
ASL: Proraso Green
ASB: Proraso Green

IMG_20210716_061500.jpg

First impressions of the H plate are good. Lots of audible feedback. It didn't feel as assertive as I was expecting it to. I wouldn't describe it as super smooth but it wasn't uncomfortable either. It did a better job of the two pass shave than the M plate - unsurprisingly.

Boycie83

Forum GOD!
18/07/2021

Blade: GSB (2)
Brush: Oumo 24mm Manchuria
Soap: Fuar Ach Snog
ASL: Pitralon Polar

IMG_20210717_191033-01.jpeg

Where my enthusiasm for the M plate began to wane on the second shave, it has grown for the H plate. It's manoeuvrable, efficient and comfortable to use. That said, I managed to draw blood for the first time in a while. I moved the head sideways having failed to withdraw it enough from my face. Not a fault of the razor, that's my idiocy. Two shaves in and this plate is delivering the kind of shaves I like. Pretty much glass like all over apart from two minor areas on my neck. I like to achieve this in two passes as I find my skin thanks me for it.

Boycie83

Forum GOD!
19/07/2021

Blade: GSB (3)
Brush: PAA Phantom Aerolite
Soap: Stirling Strawberry Lemonade
ASL: Proraso Green

Final shave with the Yates completed. It's cleaned, sanitised, boxed and ready to ship to @wooky114

I forgot to take a pic. Too desperate to get some cooling product on my face! I'll try not to waffle in my summary.

I haven't used the EH plate - I can tell in advance it's not my thing. I prefer the H plate over the M. After the initial learning curve I've decided I like the long thin handle. The stubby chubby handle can go to hell.

I've been curious about this razor for a while and I'm incredibly grateful to @Holyzeus for giving me the opportunity to try it. I now know I'm not going to buy one. Not because it's a bad razor but because it doesn't deliver anything special for me that would make it stand out in my den. Had I been at the start of my journey it would be a different matter. Buying the razor with an extra plate brings a fair amount of discount and it's possible to get the razor with 2 plates delivered to the UK for ~£125. That's good value for this razor.

Holyzeus

TSR reject
1. p.b * Completed *
2. Boycie83 *Completed*
3. wooky114 * With*
4. Masamune
5. Stonec0ld
6. CalMorris93
7. Rowlers
8. SeanC
9. Chris.Hale
10. Wayne
11. slapo
12. bagman
13. @jeepie
14. TheChrisC

Last edited:

wooky114

YMMV Shaves
21/07

Razor: Yates 921-M
Blade: Super Shave X Platinum (3)
Brush: Strike Gold Shave POTUS 24mm Timberwolf
Soap: Extro Cosmesi Freddo
ASL: Alcolado Glacial
ASB: L'Oreal Hydra Energetic Balm

Straight in the door from work, open the box and decide to use the razor in standard M plate configuration for the first shave. A very comfortable three pass shave. I need to head shave tonight, so I might try the H plate on the noggin and see how we go, but the razor is very well machined and no issues with the long handle, which is very similar to Pils in diameter and length.

wooky114

YMMV Shaves
Quick addendum, it's like a kid on Christmas morning.... So, I changed to the H plate, lathered the head up with Signature Soaps Capra, loaded a Feather blade on it's 3rd use and 2 passes later, BBS, no issues or weepers and the Leaf that was on standby in case of issues went back in the rack unused - as a head shaver, it's pretty good, in case others want to use it in the same manner. That's it for the night, I'm not changing plates again and doing the back, sack or crack :laugh: :roflmao:

wooky114

YMMV Shaves
Second face shave with the razor, went for the Stubby handle and H plate with the same Super Shave X Platinum.

Having already used the H plate for a head shave there were no surprises but the stubby had certainly alters the razor dynamics with the extra ounce in weight and three quarters of inch height reduction making it feel handle heavy but it was still a decent shave.

Last edited:

wooky114

YMMV Shaves
SOTD 25/07/21 - OSP Eucalyptus & Menthol ; Semogue 830 Excelsior 24mm Tuxedo ; Yates Precision Manufacturing 921-H ; Polsilver Stainless (3) ; Cold Water, Billy In The Tree Peppermint & Tea Argon Oil

A face shave and menthol was needed... First pass as pictured, 2nd pass switched back to the 4" handle and back to the stubby handle for the third pass.

The stubby handle to me feels nicer in the hand and allows the razor to have more dexterity IMHO; the balance point from the head is exactly the same on both handles despite the weight/length difference, but after the initial shaves only the EH plate left to try. The audio feedback from the razor is akin to Merkur Progress, it let's you know when you're cutting hair and another fine shave, which I enjoyed.

wooky114

YMMV Shaves
No photo's, no video tonight, back to the stock 4" handle, the EH plate, Razorock 400 and Vreto soap (why I piffed three tubs of this stuff is beyond me - any chance of another group buy @Rowlers). Any how, the shave was great, the plate didn't feel overly aggressive; three passes later and it's one of the best shaves I've had in a while....

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
No photo's, no video tonight, back to the stock 4" handle, the EH plate, Razorock 400 and Vreto soap (why I piffed three tubs of this stuff is beyond me - any chance of another group buy @Rowlers). Any how, the shave was great, the plate didn't feel overly aggressive; three passes later and it's one of the best shaves I've had in a while....
I keep checking, but it doesn't sound likely.. @RSSO ?

wooky114

YMMV Shaves
For the head shavers, a quick head shave with the EH plate on the stock 4" handle with a feather blade on its third use; there's certainly more blade feel to this plate than the others; 4 days growth, two with the grain passes and there was nothing left except a couple of weepers to sort....