Yaqi TFC All Brass Adjustable. Impressive….

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!
Due to the soon to arrive brass Final Cut I have my chrome one about to go on the BST which I’ll pop on as soon as I get back from my holiday. In fact I’ll soon have two! The first I had and love has a couple of small spots where the chrome finish has come away on the base plate. It doesn’t effect the finish but if anyone wants a first dibs to try the Final Cut Chrome let me know. Yaqi are sending a replacement as well which I don’t need as the brass will be with me next week. So I’ll have a 2nd I don’t need as well!

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
A good shave today with the TFC Brass. Rumor has it that it has been discontinued from production claiming high costs of production. I did see it over at the Australian shave website The Wet Shaving Company still offer it but at a much higher price which is substantial from when I purchased mine at release ($270 AUD today vs $139 AUD at first release or maybe pre-order? Can’t remember). Are there others that shave better similarly priced? Absolutely but, it was unique and an all Brass finished razor with no coatings or finishes is a rare bird. I had to have it. No regrets at all as it shaves very well and accomplishes its goal as an adjustable razor.

Great shaves to all…

39F7BD21-6E8B-470F-9ABF-1B7A0F288599.jpeg

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!
I’ve only used mine 6 times and it wasn’t new, I’m guessing it hasn’t been been used more than 10 in total and it’s hasn’t developed any patina yet. Not sure if it’s been coated or not, regardless it shave’s beautifully

Randomangle

Über Bum
I’ve only used mine 6 times and it wasn’t new, I’m guessing it hasn’t been been used more than 10 in total and it’s hasn’t developed any patina yet. Not sure if it’s been coated or not, regardless it shave’s beautifully
Thanks Lee. I would have thought that if it was coated the information would have been found by now. :thumbsup:

carbold

Carlo
I still think they priced it wrong. You can buy a machined titanium Shield for almost the same price. OK this is more parts but brass is way easier to machine than titanium

slapo

It's... alive!
I still think they priced it wrong. You can buy a machined titanium Shield for almost the same price. OK this is more parts but brass is way easier to machine than titanium
AFAIK, adjustables made from machined parts have been much more expensive than this, and I'm not sure the choice of material has as much of an effect on the price as the number of parts and extra precision requirements stemming from that do.

semajohn

Forum GOD!
Yaqi TFC brass is a quality razor.

There's a bit of a difference in machining three parts to fit together, compared to all the components for an adjustable.

Ship to the USA, add $50, rebrand it to hide "made in China" and no one would question it.

Just a shame that it's a Rex Ambassador in brass otherwise I would have kept mine 🤣

Last edited:

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!

There's a bit of a difference in machining three parts to fit together, compared to all the components for an adjustable.

Ship to the USA, add $50, rebrand it to hide "made in China" and no one would question it.

Just a shame that it's a Rex Ambassador in brass otherwise I would have kept mine 🤣
I love mine, it does seem high, but if it was branded with a bigger name brand rather than a cheap value Chinese brand it would have a lot of people questioning it less. I still think it's a little expensive but it has been the smoothest adjustable I've used, and it just works so well for me. I however am odd and didn't get on with a Fatboy or Merkur Progress.

carbold

Carlo
AFAIK, adjustables made from machined parts have been much more expensive than this, and I'm not sure the choice of material has as much of an effect on the price as the number of parts and extra precision requirements stemming from that do.
Just compare it to the Pearl adjustable: same material, same process (CNC machined), and you get the coating too, for nearly half the price

Randomangle

Über Bum

When you say Rex Ambassador do you mean it is particularly aggressive? :confused:

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!
When you say Rex Ambassador do you mean it is particularly aggressive? :confused:
I haven't tried the Rex Ambassador but it is notoriously quite aggressive, this isn't in the slightest unless you take it up to the higher settings and even then its smooth.
Just compare it to the Pearl adjustable: same material, same process (CNC machined), and you get the coating too, for nearly half the price
I agree the Pearl is great value and a lovely finish but it took them a while to get there. Having owned both the shave this gives is a significant step up, it's head though it doesn't look like it is significantly less bulky.

semajohn

Forum GOD!
With tax and the weak pound. Expect to pay around £140 delivered.
That is a little steep as I think my one was £116 delivered.
Pearl might be less than half the price but is about twice the weight and not even close to the same quality of the Yaqi in my opinion.