Wow, the best shaving bowl ever is a dog bowl!

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Just ordered one of these to try as a shave bowl.

Worth a shot at £8.99 ???? We will see.
With the nubs all over the bowl, you should be able to make at least twice the amount of lather than the flat-bottom model with the "stegosaurus" spikes on the base does; perhaps even three times more. Good find.

D

Deleted member 1881

Is there any chance of getting the bristle damaged by using this bowl with spikes?

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Is there any chance of getting the bristle damaged by using this bowl with spikes?
I don't think there's much chance of damage per se, but of course anything will wear with time. Mashing some brushes, usually badger, into any bowl, smooth or textured, may bend the fibres so much that they break between tip and handle. That usually happens when lathering is poor and excess effort goes into it, but these bowls (mine, anyway) will produce peaks of lather if you just show them a brush.

Both @Northam Saint 's bowl and the original have spikes with rounded tops and/or edges, and the silicone (I think it's made of this, rather than rubber) is quite soft and smooth anyway.

I've tried mine out with synthetics, boar and horsehair brushes, and none of those types have suffered. I haven't used any of my badger brushes, mainly because I don't use them much now anyway. However, they are probably less likely to suffer wear or damage in these because so little effort to lather is needed.

D

Deleted member 1881

I don't think there's much chance of damage per se, but of course anything will wear with time. Mashing some brushes, usually badger, into any bowl, smooth or textured, may bend the fibres so much that they break between tip and handle. That usually happens when lathering is poor and excess effort goes into it, but these bowls (mine, anyway) will produce peaks of lather if you just show them a brush.

Both @Northam Saint 's bowl and the original have spikes with rounded tops and/or edges, and the silicone (I think it's made of this, rather than rubber) is quite soft and smooth anyway.

I've tried mine out with synthetics, boar and horsehair brushes, and none of those types have suffered. I haven't used any of my badger brushes, mainly because I don't use them much now anyway. However, they are probably less likely to suffer wear or damage in these because so little effort to lather is needed.
Thanks. Any problems with soap/creams stuck into the bottom of the spikes and never get out of there?

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Thanks. Any problems with soap/creams stuck into the bottom of the spikes and never get out of there?
No. If any does stick, its easy to scrape or brush out. @Northam Saint 's bowl seems to be more closely spiked than the other type, but if you are lathering by pressing soap into the bowl, put it in the base, and quite sparingly. If you're loading the brush from the soap and then bowl-lathering, no problem.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Right the bowl came. It’s BIG 14 cm circumference for a start.

DBCE1FF2-9FE6-49A9-8430-0696330F5CE1.jpeg

ACD87754-B1EB-480F-94ED-EFE65421FC0C.jpeg

9F646045-9B30-4B6D-B7C4-EE0AE6C24CF6.jpeg

Small blob of Fuzzy Face Monkey Farts

389D3E96-7706-45ED-BF4A-D18DDB68E1D6.jpeg

Lovely and Flexible, retains the heat well giving a lovely warm lather. Bobbles are smooth so won’t damage a brush. Useable and for some they may like the size.

vates

Legendary Member
My dog bowl (black) has finally arrived the other day. Wow, it's a cheat!

It stains easily with soap residue though. And I'm curious if there ever will develop a funky smell (appears to be absent as of now).
But currently, it's a very interesting tool.

Thanks for the tip!