Words of advice, comfort or inspiration?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Does anyone have anything, be it a poem, verse or saying that has stuck in their mind for many years ?

Mine is this.

I recall being around 12-13 and going to Boys Brigade camp. We were set tasks to do towards an award, I was a bit lazy and of course tasks set are harder if you don’t spread the load. I was indeed way, way, behind the others. So one of the leaders, Mrs Overton placed this in my notebook after I had completed all the tasks, it’s kept in my mind all these years.

It Couldn’t Be Done
BY EDGAR ALBERT GUEST
Somebody said that it couldn’t be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it!

dc68

-------------
You may laugh,
laugh at all the dreams, which I,
the dreamer can weave,
Laugh because I believe in man,
for in you I still believe.
Laugh that I believe in friends,
and yet will find a heart,
to share my hope,
with their own hope,
in my joy and pain take part.

Saul Tschernikovsy ( abridged translation).

Boycie83

Forum GOD!
The Venga bus is comin' and everybody's jumpin'
New York through San Fransisco
An interstate free disco,
The wheels of steel are turnin' and traffic lights are burnin'
So if you like to party,
Get on and move your body
The Venga bus is comin'

Vengaboys 1998

Masamune

Guru
If you try, you might fail, but if you don‘t try, you‘ll never succeed.
iu.jpeg

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Well it worked for Stan "The Man" Wawrinka.

"I first saw the quote a long time ago. It always stayed in my mind. It’s how I see life and tennis. The meaning of the quote doesn’t change no matter how well you do. There is always disappointment, heartache. You are losing almost every tournament. You need to just accept it and be positive because you are going to lose and fail. We’re not all Nadal or Djokovic, who can win most tournaments.”

halvor

a most elusive fish
My mum taught me the phrase, and more importantly, principle, of ‘han får rett, jeg får fred’ - literally ‘he gets right (ie wins the argument), I get peace’. First, arguing for the sake of arguing, and winning for the sake of winning, is seldom very productive - sometime it’s even better to just let it go, regardless of who’s objectively right and wrong. Second, trust me when I say you can annoy the hell out of your counterpart if saying it out loud - takes the joy out of their victory.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
My mum taught me the phrase, and more importantly, principle, of ‘han får rett, jeg får fred’ - literally ‘he gets right (ie wins the argument), I get peace’.
Interesting how it doesn't quite seem the same if a husband says it to a wife.

When it's the husband who "gets it right" he seems arrogant but not out of the ordinary

When it's the wife who "gets it right" she seems like a nag

This could be taken all sorts of ways but that kind of suggests itself in an old-fashioned way.....

slapo

It's... alive!
"Just remember: somewhere, a little Chinese girl is warming up with your max."

Jim Conroy, Olympic weightlifting coach

It seems kind of sexist, but the actual gist of it is sound.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Interesting how it doesn't quite seem the same if a husband says it to a wife.

When it's the husband who "gets it right" he seems arrogant but not out of the ordinary

When it's the wife who "gets it right" she seems like a nag

This could be taken all sorts of ways but that kind of suggests itself in an old-fashioned way.....
You’re entitled to your interpretation. Or perhaps I should say, du får rett, jeg får fred :wink: Actually, I think it goes like that, the pronoun being you rather than s/he. I also and still think there’s something to learn from it, more for our gender. We’re more often the buttheaded ones putting on blindfolds in pursuit of getting everyone to see that our view is the correct one. IME anyway.