Wolfman WR2

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
👍 The Guerilla was a disappointment. Obviously the BBS had that build quality but the shave did nothing for me either
👍 The Guerilla was a disappointment. Obviously the BBS had that build quality but the shave did nothing for me either
The guerrilla was the most frustrating razor I’ve ever used. I was very close to throwing it against the wall…then I remembered how much it cost. I thought the engraving on the base plate was very cool but that’s about the only positive.

I remember using the BBS-1, it's a razor which sticks in your memory but I can’t really remember what the shave was like?

Last edited:

Ventastic

Legendary Member
Very interesting reading Rob. To be fair to the Karve, you only really start feeling the blade from E onwards. The WR2 is supposedly a razor that has a small amount of blade feel for the amount of efficiency offered. In my 1.25 gap it is certainly there though.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Very interesting reading Rob. To be fair to the Karve, you only really start feeling the blade from E onwards. The WR2 is supposedly a razor that has a small amount of blade feel for the amount of efficiency offered. In my 1.25 gap it is certainly there though.
From what I've read the blade feel on the WR2 will become a lot less once I've dialed in the cutting angle? I'll see how things go this evening.

DSR

Forum GOD!
This is an edited version of my SOTD which I posted yesterday…but the actual shave was on Sunday.

View attachment 77066

Wolfman WR2 (on loan)
Gillette Silver Blue
Saponificio Varesino 2.0
Los Jabones de Joserra Viriato
Lúcudo aftershave

My 50th Birthday is coming up next March so I had the bright idea of treating myself to a Wolfman. I mentioned my grand plain on one of the Wolfman threads and as per usually the replies were very helpful. One reply was from all round super nice guy @halvor offering to send me his WR2 to try. I took him up on his very kind offer. Many, many thanks to Halvor for the loan.

The Wolfman arrived Saturday afternoon and frankly I’m still reeling . On opening the parcel the only words I could muster were ‘’WOW!...wow, wow’’….To say I was impress was an understatement. I’ve used most high end razors and nothing comes close to this. It’s 10’s cross the board.
THE RAZOR: I loaded a new GSB blade. This is usually a very smooth blade but found it a bit tuggy on the first pass (I’d got 3 days growth BTW). This wasn’t an issue on the second and third pass though.

You need to be switched on at all times when using this razor. The blade gap is 1.15mm and not (super scary) aggressive but you know there’s a decent gap there. I’ve used smoother razors WTG and XTG but strangely enough I found it very smooth ATG. This is also the loudest razor I’ve used. It was very efficient and comfortable.

This is only the first time using it but I can imagine me going for a smaller blade gap. It’s been a while since I’ve had a shave which has made such an impression on me. 24 hours later and I’m still struggling to find the words.

I’ve re-read the last couple of posts with the Karve being mentioned. I can’t see any relation to the Karve to the WR2. I’ve used the Karve (SS) B, C and D plate’s and there’s very little blade feel on all plates, something I’m not a fan of. The WR2 has most definitely got blade feel, you would think so with a 1.15mm blade gap. I’ll need time to dial in the angle etc but so far I can’t think of any razor which shaves like the WR2. Maybe the BBS-1 but that was a long time ago.

I’ll be using it again tonight. I’ll be trying a different blade this time. I’ll report back with my thoughts.
@DSR
Thank you for the review! Sounds like 1.05 might be more suitable as a daily shaver, but looking forward to your further thoughts once you’ve used it a few more times....

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
I thought I’d resurrect this thread as I received “the email” :eek: . I put my name on the waiting list on September 3rd.

Still not sure what to do? I’ll more than likely postpone my order for now.

Last edited:

Masamune

Guru
You need to be switched on at all times when using this razor. The blade gap is 1.15mm and not (super scary) aggressive but you know there’s a decent gap there. I’ve used smoother razors WTG and XTG but strangely enough I found it very smooth ATG. This is also the loudest razor I’ve used. It was very efficient and comfortable.

This is only the first time using it but I can imagine me going for a smaller blade gap. It’s been a while since I’ve had a shave which has made such an impression on me. 24 hours later and I’m still struggling to find the words.

I’ve re-read the last couple of posts with the Karve being mentioned. I can’t see any relation to the Karve to the WR2. I’ve used the Karve (SS) B, C and D plate’s and there’s very little blade feel on all plates, something I’m not a fan of. The WR2 has most definitely got blade feel, you would think so with a 1.15mm blade gap. I’ll need time to dial in the angle etc but so far I can’t think of any razor which shaves like the WR2. Maybe the BBS-1 but that was a long time ago.
Well, it appears you found the 1.15 too much blade? I've been trying a .95 for about a week, good for daily shaves but I wouldn't say it had no blade feel but I haven't tried enough blades to say that for sure. If you want a bit of blade feel it looks like the 1.05 would be a good choice, the .95 is smooth but not highly efficient. It's plenty enough for me but I prefer milder razors.

Still not convinced the WR2 is smoother than the WR1 in a comparable gap.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Well, it appears you found the 1.15 too much blade? I've been trying a .95 for about a week, good for daily shaves but I wouldn't say it had no blade feel but I haven't tried enough blades to say that for sure. If you want a bit of blade feel it looks like the 1.05 would be a good choice, the .95 is smooth but not highly efficient. It's plenty enough for me but I prefer milder razors.

It’s a quandary, no doubt about it. There’s a first world problem right there. :D

I had the 1.15 on loan for quite a while and couldn’t get a consistent shave with it. Not saying it was all the razors fault but you’d think you would be able to get it nailed down after a few weeks.
The blade gap and blade feel became less apparent over time but the finished results were mostly patchy.

My favourite razor is the Carbon CX 316 with the 0.68 blade gap but I’ve found comparing blade gaps from different razors to be a waste of time.

You would think from reading all the above it would be a definite no but there’s a certain something about owning a Wolfman. :happy:

vartik

Head shaver

Out of curiosity, have you tried the Henson razor Matt ?

Ventastic

Legendary Member
It’s a quandary, no doubt about it. There’s a first world problem right there. :D

I had the 1.15 on loan for quite a while and couldn’t get a consistent shave with it. Not saying it was all the razors fault but you’d think you would be able to get it nailed down after a few weeks.
The blade gap and blade feel became less apparent over time but the finished results were mostly patchy.

My favourite razor is the Carbon CX 316 with the 0.68 blade gap but I’ve found comparing blade gaps from different razors to be a waste of time.

You would think from reading all the above it would be a definite no but there’s a certain something about owning a Wolfman. :happy:
Without having gone back in the thread to check, I assume you‘ve tried the WR1? For a carbon Cx fan, this is the one. I personally never got on with the WR2 I had. One day it was magic, the next a catastrophe.

Since you missed your 50th, you could go the budget route and get just the head with an aftermarket handle (e.g. timeless crown). The UK seems to have stopped collecting customs duties, so you could be lucky there too.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Without having gone back in the thread to check, I assume you‘ve tried the WR1? For a carbon Cx fan, this is the one. I personally never got on with the WR2 I had. One day it was magic, the next a catastrophe.

Since you missed your 50th, you could go the budget route and get just the head with an aftermarket handle (e.g. timeless crown). The UK seems to have stopped collecting customs duties, so you could be lucky there too.
Thanks for your impressions. :thumbsup: I haven't tried the WR1, no. I'll look into it.