Wolfman gap

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
Have you tried different blades? Gillette Platinums and Super Iridiums tend to work well with the WR2. If that doesn't work, the closest to the Game Changer 0.84 SB would be the WR2 1.05 SB. The WR1 0.61 and 0.67 SBs are scalpels compared to the Game Changer 0.84 SB.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
I’m finding my 1.15 gap to be too harsh despite persistence.. I’ve decided to sell it and got myself on the list for a 0.95 gap a few months ago but was wondering if anyone with experience had any thoughts on whether I’m just flogging a dead horse? Is there a significant difference between gaps or would I perhaps be better off looking at the WR1?

for reference, my favourite razor so far is the GC84.
I went up to 1.45 and felt it was smoother. I guess depends on the angle at which you shave. Sometimes the larger gaps give you more angles to work with.

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I’m finding my 1.15 gap to be too harsh despite persistence.. I’ve decided to sell it and got myself on the list for a 0.95 gap a few months ago but was wondering if anyone with experience had any thoughts on whether I’m just flogging a dead horse? Is there a significant difference between gaps or would I perhaps be better off looking at the WR1?

for reference, my favourite razor so far is the GC84.
Wow, that's certainly YMMV stuff.
I had both GC .68, and .84 and didn't like the shave at all.
Used decent blades, good soap...could not get a nice smooth shave out of the GC and sold it off.
Bought the WR2 1.15 DC (SB/OC) and it was too mild!
Lovely smooth shave, but I had other razors that took me closer. WR2 is now sold too.
What blades do you use in the WR2, and GC?

RiverMan

Forum GOD!
Wow, that's certainly YMMV stuff.
I had both GC .68, and .84 and didn't like the shave at all.
Used decent blades, good soap...could not get a nice smooth shave out of the GC and sold it off.
Bought the WR2 1.15 DC (SB/OC) and it was too mild!
Lovely smooth shave, but I had other razors that took me closer. WR2 is now sold too.
What blades do you use in the WR2, and GC?
it certainly is a ymmv case. It’s quite disappointing as the razor is a fabulous piece of craftsmanship and I had been looking forward to it for some time. As far as I’m aware there’s no option to return the baseplate for a different gap so my only option is to sell it and get back on the waiting list for one last throw of the dice. I got back on the list for a 0.95 in June.

I’ve used Astra SPs, which are my go to blade, and Personna Meds, which I usually find to be sharp but very smooth, and get a lot of irritation with both.

SLNY

Forum GOD!
I have a .61 SB and am completely at home and comfortable with it -- gives me darn good close shaves. FWIW, my favorite blade, consistently, is a Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow but I've also been fine with a GSB (don't find Astras or Personnas to be aggressive enough for this razor). I tried a 1.15 SB over the summer and never came to love it. I found it about the same in terms of "smoothness" and even efficiency, but I always had the sense it was going to bite me. It didn't, but I never got over that sense. I also preferred the WR1 blade feel over the 1.15. Finally, I found the thinner WR1 head design to be more to my liking. I considered trying other WR2 gaps, and perhaps jumping up to, say, 1.25 or 1.35, and then realized I probably wouldn't enjoy them any more. I might get a .80 WR1 next because I've read so much about how .80 or .84 can be the sweet spot for others. The nice thing about Wolfmans is that they always readily can be resold.

Last edited:

Masamune

Forum GOD!
The .80 is quite a jump in blade feel but maybe you will like it. It is smooth but has definite blade feel.

I've tried quite a few gaps in the WR1 (.48-.80) and the .67 was the best for me. Never really got into the WR2 design either. More into SEs now so interested to see how the WR3 is received.

SLNY

Forum GOD!
The .80 is quite a jump in blade feel but maybe you will like it. It is smooth but has definite blade feel.

I've tried quite a few gaps in the WR1 (.48-.80) and the .67 was the best for me. Never really got into the WR2 design either. More into SEs now so interested to see how the WR3 is received.
See! With Wolfman's it really comes down to a matter of trial and error and everyone's mileage differs. Here, Masamune's fave is a .67 after trying a bunch but others feel differently and like bigger gaps for WR1s. So, basically, the only real answer is not to ponder too much but to leap in and try one, and, then, as I said, sell it if you don't like it. One thing is, I believe, for certain, Wolfmans are quality razors.

Masamune

Forum GOD!
Agreed. Wolfman is 100% ymmv and frankly you need to try several to find your sweet spot unless you get lucky. Just don't buy them all at once! You only need to buy the first one and then trade your way up or down. If you have the chance to borrow one or two even better.