Wim Hof cold showers

Tommo

Forum GOD!
Does anyone follow the Wim Hof method and take regular cold showers? I heard about Wim a while ago through the distraction pieces podcast. Since I was a teenager I've finished off a hot shower with a few seconds of cold. Thinking of taking a bit more consideration about it.

Has anyone tried it? Any benefits? Tips and advice?

jonmaddock

Forum GOD!
Does anyone follow the Wim Hof method and take regular cold showers? I heard about Wim a while ago through the distraction pieces podcast. Since I was a teenager I've finished off a hot shower with a few seconds of cold. Thinking of taking a bit more consideration about it.

Has anyone tried it? Any benefits? Tips and advice?
I do this if I have one first thing but never before bed haha

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dr Watson

James
@Dr Watson didn’t you talk of having cold showers?
Yes indeed Halvor, I've been taking cold showers for a few years now. Full on cold from start to finish rather than the Scottish version where you gradually reduce the temperature.

Benefits (if you believe everything online) are boosted metabolism, testosterone production and immune system... My results, combined with a better diet and regular exercise I've lost 3st or nearly 20kg in the last 12 months, you do feel quite "pumped " during and immediately after the shower, feels more like adrenaline to me but if some guys want to call it T and feel more manly that's fine :giggle: ... Best of all I've not been ill once in 3+ years now, not so much as a sniffle.. Even when the rest of the household is fighting something.

I don't know who this Wim Hof is but his method sounds the same as a Scottish shower. I would definitely suggest giving full on cold showers a try, it will be incredibly difficult initially but after a couple of weeks a hot shower just feels awful (did for me, anyway.) There are plenty of articles and videos online but as I've not looked for years I couldn't really recommend a good one, sorry. I do remember reading this one before I started: https://www.artofmanliness.com/arti...a-shot-of-cold-water-for-health-and-vitality/

mark0

Forum GOD!
I shower using cold water only. It's been more than three years since I started. There is no precise way to measure this but I find it helps with reduction of inflammation and recovery, especially if engaging in intense physical activity.

eddie2002

Forum GOD!
You should download the Wim Hof method app on IOS. Full of information and techniques, very helpful and interesting.

Yeah, been doing it for years..cold showers that is. Way before I heard about Wim. I used to have ice baths before cold showers.. (for sports recovery not at home) Cold showers are much easier than ice baths let me tell you. But once you get used to cold showering it feels strange having a hot one..and you start to feel all woozy like you're in a heat wave.
The cold shower gives you real invigoration and alertness in the mornings. I look forward to my cold shower after the gym as well...feels great. Cold showering has many health benefits that you can read about.
As for Wim Hof..he's a very special guy and I wouldn't recommend doing everything he does..he did climb Everest in only his underwear and was injected with Bacteria to stimulate an immune response (I believe it was E Coli )

But still, he is an exceptional guy when you read about his background.

G_man

Forum GOD!
I also heard of Wim Hoff and his method. If I'm not mistaken his technique requires hyperventilation at the beginning. Something to do with your response to hyperventilation blocking the pain transmitters. This would allow you to stay in the cold water a little longer and benefit from it..
I haven't gone through with the method though. I did do cold/warm shower some time ago. Will reconsider doing it again :)

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Tommo

Forum GOD!
Well I've been having a cold shower every morning for about 2 weeks now. Definitely feel more energised after. Started just having a quick rinse may be 10-20 seconds at a time and now having a full shower, hair wash, etc.
Not tried any of the breathing techniques yet.

Farabeuf

Über Member
I'd love to do it, but I've tried it out several times and I just cannot stay under the water more than 3 seconds. Maybe it's just Danish water coming out too cold from the underground?:laugh:

mark0

Forum GOD!
I'd love to do it, but I've tried it out several times and I just cannot stay under the water more than 3 seconds. Maybe it's just Danish water coming out too cold from the underground?:laugh:
When I was first starting I used to imagine I was on a beach on a hot summer day getting a refreshing shower. Relaxing and not 'fighting' the cold helps a lot.

Kalmageddon

Forum GOD!
Cold shower in the morning , better for energizing and waking up than coffee or anything other.. Also, warm shower before sleep to slow down heart rate and relax muscles :D