Wickhams Super Smooth V2

D

Deleted member 1881

Maybe @Fox scrimped on your sample! The pic above was approx 1/2 of my sample, but I got 2 further shaves from what was left..
Maybe he wanted to test my lather technique! The envelope felt almost empty before I even opened it. The previous sample had way more soap in it.

D

Deleted member 30

Maybe he wanted to test my lather technique! The envelope felt almost empty before I even opened it. The previous sample had way more soap in it.
Sorry, I will give you extra on the next one George. :wink:

You will meet me at the airport on a bicycle now won't you? :giggle:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Ok so very late to the party but I managed to get a quick shave completed this morning with the V.2.

I didn't have issue with the scent. It wasn't very strong. However I don't believe that was the brief. Either way I could smell it within my scuttle, if I put it to my nose and could smell the soap when rinsing off. I found it similar to a mint soap I believe I tested for Darron early on? Quite sweet with a classic white musk tone. I liked the profile to be honest.

I used a fair amount, about 2 peas worth and a tough boar. It didn't explode into lather. I used a lot of water (very hard water) the lather remained stable but didn't develop a glossy finish. Post shave I have no issues, no irritation or drying. Cushion and slickness was more than adequate. Cushion may be something that could be increased? I used a Rex and had no issues with drag, or if drag was present it didn't interfere with my shave.

So in conclusion I didn't find the product to overachieve or under achieve. It performed as it should. The only negative is the potential price point as many products IMO would perform in a similar fashion. The main positive is that I felt no irritation from the soap, which is something I unfortunately experience with super smooth.

MPH

Forum GOD!
I used the remainder of my sample last night and I have to say this time I could smell it (had a cold last time)! The scent is nice, but I'd like it stronger.

The soap was good, and I'd happily use it. I didn't find it drying.

If it can be tweaked to improve post shave feel a touch it would be a great soap in my opinion.

Cruciate

Forum GOD!
Hi Guys. I've been full of cold (typically during a week of annual leave) so have not shaved or smelt anything for a week.

The acid test therefore was to try a feather AC shave with this new formula.
Incidently, I've been trying to work my way through my backlog of original supersmooth (no mean feat - this stuff last forever and I bought 5 or 6 tubs of it!) so I've used the old stuff exclusively for 6 months now. I still prefer it to the 1912, but think I am in a minority there.

So, I needed around half the sample for a 2 pass shave.
It's a nice consistency. Not too firm, but not so cream like that it feels slimy. A bit softer than the original.
One of my favourite parts about the original is its thirst. It drinks water. This gives me the impression that its nice and concentrated, but also hydrating. The main advantage however is that because it doesn't die with a bit of extra water the second application to a wet face doesn't destroy the lather.

This formula retains that feature, and lathers really well. It feels slippery on the face, and cut through a weeks stubble well - a feat that many creams don't as they seem to paint over the stubble rather than get through to the skin.
My shave was pleasant, and it protected my face from clumsy hands with an open razor.
After feel was good with no dryness.

So far, so brilliant.
I would buy based on this formula.

My only downside was I couldn't really smell it well. Admittedly, a cold and my sense of smell don't go well together, but I waited until the nose was clear and didn't get much. I would like it a little stronger in the scent.

Other than that, great job Fox!

D

Deleted member 30

Hi Guys. I've been full of cold (typically during a week of annual leave) so have not shaved or smelt anything for a week.

The acid test therefore was to try a feather AC shave with this new formula.
Incidently, I've been trying to work my way through my backlog of original supersmooth (no mean feat - this stuff last forever and I bought 5 or 6 tubs of it!) so I've used the old stuff exclusively for 6 months now. I still prefer it to the 1912, but think I am in a minority there.

So, I needed around half the sample for a 2 pass shave.
It's a nice consistency. Not too firm, but not so cream like that it feels slimy. A bit softer than the original.
One of my favourite parts about the original is its thirst. It drinks water. This gives me the impression that its nice and concentrated, but also hydrating. The main advantage however is that because it doesn't die with a bit of extra water the second application to a wet face doesn't destroy the lather.

This formula retains that feature, and lathers really well. It feels slippery on the face, and cut through a weeks stubble well - a feat that many creams don't as they seem to paint over the stubble rather than get through to the skin.
My shave was pleasant, and it protected my face from clumsy hands with an open razor.
After feel was good with no dryness.

So far, so brilliant.
I would buy based on this formula.

My only downside was I couldn't really smell it well. Admittedly, a cold and my sense of smell don't go well together, but I waited until the nose was clear and didn't get much. I would like it a little stronger in the scent.

Other than that, great job Fox!
Thank you and hope your feeling better soon. :okay:

Ben Hunt

Forum GOD!
Hi, I was surprised to receive the Super Smooth V2 round 3 tester (White Musk) a couple of weeks ago. It's been a hectic month, so I'm reporting my experience later than planned.

The name 'White Musk' made me expect a laundry soap scent (from the association of 'laundry musk' scents and 'white' as in cleaning), but it doesn't at all smell like laundry soap. It's a sort of sweet, spicy scent that makes me think of Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb soda.

I shave with straight razors, and so my experience is based on that. I used two different straights on two different occasions.

I lathered in a clay bowl with a synthetic brush, and the lather seemed reasonably nice. It applied nicely, and I didn't have any issues shaving. The shaves felt smooth and I didn't have any post-shave issues. To me, this seemed to place Super Smooth V2 round 3 tester in the same general category as high end soaps like DR Harris.

D

Deleted member 30

Hi, I was surprised to receive the Super Smooth V2 round 3 tester (White Musk) a couple of weeks ago. It's been a hectic month, so I'm reporting my experience later than planned.

The name 'White Musk' made me expect a laundry soap scent (from the association of 'laundry musk' scents and 'white' as in cleaning), but it doesn't at all smell like laundry soap. It's a sort of sweet, spicy scent that makes me think of Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb soda.

I shave with straight razors, and so my experience is based on that. I used two different straights on two different occasions.

I lathered in a clay bowl with a synthetic brush, and the lather seemed reasonably nice. It applied nicely, and I didn't have any issues shaving. The shaves felt smooth and I didn't have any post-shave issues. To me, this seemed to place Super Smooth V2 round 3 tester in the same general category as high end soaps like DR Harris.
Thank you Ben. :)

Wayne

Forum Sod
Time to wade in with my thoughts. I have just used my sample of V2 and I have to admit to not having a decent bowl anymore. I PIF'ed mine to a Gentleman earlier in the year. I do have a mug type EJ thing which I soak my brushes in so it was pressed into action.
I only used a Pea sized amount and a semi dry Shavemac Badger. I started to clank and build a lather, adding water slowly it started to come alive, the scent was subtle but I could smell White florals and a deeper tone in the background. The lather I produced was light and airy, not massively thick but more than good enough to protect from the ATT S1 and Feather blade. Cushion was slightly missing, probably due to me not using enough product and the lack of a decent bowl but slickness was great, happy to revisit any part to buff without lather no problem. After shave feel was fab.
It's a good soap, make no mistake. I'm certain with the right gear I could have made a superb lather in no time but still nothing to complain about. We seem to value the stronger American scents these days and more subtle scents are forgotten about but they have their place. I always follow my shave with fragrance and to have a soap that will not compete with my choice is nice. Great job as always @Fox and thank you for allowing me to participate in your trials.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30

Time to wade in with my thoughts. I have just used my sample of V2 and I have to admit to not having a decent bowl anymore. I PIF'ed mine to a Gentleman earlier in the year. I do have a mug type EJ thing which I soak my brushes in so it was pressed into action.
I only used a Pea sized amount and a semi dry Shavemac Badger. I started to clank and build a lather, adding water slowly it started to come alive, the scent was subtle but I could smell White florals and a deeper tone in the background. The lather I produced was light and airy, not massively thick but more than good enough to protect from the ATT S1 and Feather blade. Cushion was slightly missing, probably due to me not using enough product and the lack of a decent bowl but slickness was great, happy to revisit any part to buff without lather no problem. After shave feel was fab.
It's a good soap, make no mistake. I'm certain with the right gear I could have made a superb lather in no time but still nothing to complain about. We seem to value the stronger American scents these days and more subtle scents are forgotten about but they have their place. I always follow my shave with fragrance and to have a soap that will not compete with my choice is nice. Great job as always @Fox and thank you for allowing me to participate in your trials.
Thank you Wayne. Notes have been taken onboard and it is very clear that strong scents are popular. I think the thing to do is to accommodate as many people as possible and produce a split range, a half and half. 3 mild fragrances for sensitive skin and 3 normally strength fragrances.

I have been working on changes and kind of went off on a slight tangent trying some ingredients I have been eager to try. I do hope to get the next test sample out in the next couple of weeks gents. Thank you all again for your help and feedback. :okay:

Wayne

Forum Sod
Thank you Wayne. Notes have been taken onboard and it is very clear that strong scents are popular. I think the thing to do is to accommodate as many people as possible and produce a split range, a half and half. 3 mild fragrances for sensitive skin and 3 normally strength fragrances.

I have been working on changes and kind of went off on a slight tangent trying some ingredients I have been eager to try. I do hope to get the next test sample out in the next couple of weeks gents. Thank you all again for your help and feedback. :okay:
Great idea. That Melon has been my favourite so far it’s so mouthwatering.