Wickhams Super Smooth V2

RandySp

Legendary Member
Tried out for the first time today - unlike others I'm not using a bowl for building lather. I went about putting some on my hands, rubbing together and rubbing the resulting spread onto my face. I tried to build some lather with my brush but nothing going. I then put a fairly generous dollop into the brush and tried to build lather from there... again, nothing going. I still shaved with the resulting 'emulsion' which provided about enough slickness for a pass, with the benefit of seeing which hairs are being removed.
I would absolutely assume this to be an anomalous result, and am placing the blame more solely on my brush's cleanliness. I've since given it a wash and will attempt another run with the SSV2 over the next few days.
Also interestingly, the brush felt almost tacky after use, as did my face. As if I'd washed with a 'non-sensitive' soap. Everything felt squeaky clean but it wasn't conducive to a solid lather... today.

I'll report back again in due course.
What kind of brush did you use?

RandySp

Legendary Member
YaQi 2-band, 26mm from memory. Never had any problems with it before but there might've been some residues which prohibited SSV2 from lathering. I'm not concerned - I think it was an isolated incident.
White vinegar solution for deep cleaning then?

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the sample Darron, I used for my shave this morning with my Pils razor fitted with a Souplex blade.
The scent from the sample package had a good smell and quite strong but when lathered up the scent was not so prominent which is not a bad thing for me as I don't like over strong scents in a soap.
It lathered like a dream but I found I needed to add extra water as I put it on my face.
Plenty of glide and protection and good residual slickness.
The post shave feel was good leaving my skin feeling supple.
I think you are on to a winner, well done :) P.

Tried out for the first time today - unlike others I'm not using a bowl for building lather. I went about putting some on my hands, rubbing together and rubbing the resulting spread onto my face. I tried to build some lather with my brush but nothing going. I then put a fairly generous dollop into the brush and tried to build lather from there... again, nothing going. I still shaved with the resulting 'emulsion' which provided about enough slickness for a pass, with the benefit of seeing which hairs are being removed.
I would absolutely assume this to be an anomalous result, and am placing the blame more solely on my brush's cleanliness. I've since given it a wash and will attempt another run with the SSV2 over the next few days.
Also interestingly, the brush felt almost tacky after use, as did my face. As if I'd washed with a 'non-sensitive' soap. Everything felt squeaky clean but it wasn't conducive to a solid lather... today.

I'll report back again in due course.
Sorry but have to suggest that everything you did there was wrong and did not give the sample a 'flying' chance. ..... and do not blame the brush. :mad:

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
Sorry but have to suggest that everything you did there was wrong and did not give the sample a 'flying' chance. ..... and do not blame the brush. :mad:
I’ve never had issues generating lather previously and plenty of experience with both creams and Wickham (including earlier iterations of Super smooth), and the brush. As I said, isolated incident and I’m sure it’ll be fine next time. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Edit: just double checked to satisfy my curiosities, with my now clean brush. Ssv2 applied to hand in same manner it was applied to face this morning, same amount, same length of brush soak (approx), same cold water. Bountiful slick lather. Easily enough for 2 passes, perhaps 3 not that I ever go for 3.

Last edited:

Pat-W

Forum GOD!
Super smooth V2 sample dropped through the letterbox a few days ago. Thank you Darron (@Fox ),much appreciated. I'll be churning up a lather with it tomorrow.

Reactions: Fox

wooky114

Legend In His Own Lunchtime
Night two, shave two but a head shave this time...

Loaded the bowl with about twice the amount of cream I used last night. Easy to lather but again, I've had thicker and better lathers using the same bowl/brush combo (Yaqi 26mm rainbow/brown synthetic / Giles Shaving) and a similar amount of the 1912 base. After and between two passes, there no residual slickness on the scalp - I got some after the third pass and had a head wash with left over lather (and there was plenty) which I left on the dome while cleaning everything up.

The post shave lather felt good on the skin but after washing it off, some 10 mins later I can feel the drying sensation kicking in but not as bad as it was last night. Still got very little scent from the soap / lather.

steve wilson

Forum GOD!
Super smooth V2 arrived a few days ago, quite surprised as I know nothing about it. I have changed from a morning shaver to a night shaver. I prefer morning shave’s and find them smother. I did find the scent very faint, the scent was nice. the soap was easy to lather, it gave plenty of protection and after each pass it lacked residual slickness. Until I wet my face and the slickness returned. post face feel felt great giving me my best night shave so far, matching my morning shave.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Shave 2.
Face lather with a synthetic, using approx half the amount I used last.
Wet face, smear a little on my face and lather with my damp brush.. adding a little water as needed. Wow, this literally exploded! So much faster than using the bowl the other night. Thick, creamy and loads produced from a tiny amount. Again, plenty of slickness and a superb, tight non greasy post shave. I would buy this as is, if the scent strength was increase.. Top notch...
Leftover lather:

Last edited:

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Placed an almond size lump in a bowl and loaded brush, then built lather up on my face using an Alpha Shave synthetic.

Very easy to lather, just added a couple of drops of water every now and then to get it to a thick yoghurt type consistency.

I was looking forward to this scent, bit found it quite weak and a little sweet for my taste. Reminded me of the melon sample from a while ago.

Shaved with a Blackbird and a Wizamet SI on shave 8. I found the lather to be slick and it cushioned really well. No Nick's or cuts.

I have dry skin and even washing with just water it feels tight. Post shave my skin felt soft and moisturised, but not greasy. No hint of tightness.

Great soap Darron.

Pat-W

Forum GOD!
Bowl lathered the Super Smooth V2 this morning (Semogue 620 Boar ), creamy lather and with a few more drops of water also had a nice sheen to it.
Started to shave with the ER 1912 and felt that the lather was protecting my skin from the Gem blade. After the first pass i wet my fingertips to check for slickness, and yes plenty slick enough for me.
I wasn't fussed that the scent was very subtle as the performance of the lather was very good.
Post Shave - I didn't use an Aftershave or balm due to the fact that I wanted to feel how my skin felt after the shave ,no irritation although I did have a slight burning sensation on the right side of my neck,all good after ten minutes though and probably down to me being heavy handed with the wee 1912 razor.
My skin feels nice and soft

20191007_153509-04-01.jpeg

Thanks again for the sample, Darron. I enjoyed lathering up the Super Smooth V2 for my shave today.

Fox

Wickham Soap Co.
I’ve never had issues generating lather previously and plenty of experience with both creams and Wickham (including earlier iterations of Super smooth), and the brush. As I said, isolated incident and I’m sure it’ll be fine next time. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Edit: just double checked to satisfy my curiosities, with my now clean brush. Ssv2 applied to hand in same manner it was applied to face this morning, same amount, same length of brush soak (approx), same cold water. Bountiful slick lather. Easily enough for 2 passes, perhaps 3 not that I ever go for 3.
Another technique would be to smear in one hand and lather in that palm with the brush in the other hand. I tend to do this often for quickness, which I find works a treat.

Glad you got good results on the 2nd trial. :)