Wickhams 1912

Doti B

Forum GOD!
I used for the first time, after reading many reviews, Wickham 1912 Ninfeo di Eugenia soap today. Maybe it’s me but was disappointed with the lather it produced. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. Loaded from the tub with a damp brush for about 20-25 seconds. Then started bowl lathering adding a few drops of water every minute or so, Lather produced was airy and quite thin when applied to face. I’m used to lathering with MWF/SV and D R Harris amongst othes. The quality of Wickhams was well below this. Is it just me or am I missing something ?Otherwise this will be in the BST along with the ASB pretty soon.
Anybody else have this problem

Doti B

Forum GOD!
First outing. Must admit post shave feel is good though. I convinced one of my mates to try he used Citrus Musk and had the same lathering issues as me. Is there some kind of technique to using this soap ?

Dr Watson

James
Do you have hard water? I do and have a lot of trouble getting a good lather out of Wickhams 1912. A bloomed soap lathered for 60 seconds provides enough lather for 1 good pass or 2 thin. To add insult to injury many of the scents make my face tingle, long since abandoned it.

Doti B

Forum GOD!
Might have to. Had high hopes for this soap but at the minute not overly impressed. I’ll attempt again in a couple of days with a synthetic brush this time to see if this makes any difference

MPH

Forum GOD!
I've got hard water, and Wickhams 1912 has always lathered fine for me. That said I haven't had any for a while and those I had were early versions, so i don't know if the recipe has changed?

I always bloomed mine, and started using just a little water and add as required.

I'm sure with a bit of practice it'll be fine, but will be interested to see how it goes. I do mean to add another to my collection, but the scents don't overly excite me. I've always thought it was a great soap though.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I live in a hard water area too and have had zero issues with Wickham, which I know isn’t very helpful. It’s hard to nail down what’s not working for you. I don’t think I’ve ever used it with a natural hair brush, always synthetic, maybe there’s a difference there?

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Hard water here, and never a problem with any Wickham soap. I usually load a brush (either natural or synthetic) from the container and lather it up in a bowl, but I do find it helps me to use a fair amount of soap to get an amount of lather for 2-3 passes.

Doti B

Forum GOD!
The only thing I didn’t do was bloom, mainly as it’s o softish soap. I would only normally bloom hard soaps. I’ll give it a try. Is it a soap that loves water ?

Dr Watson

James
I've got hard water
I live in a hard water area too and have had zero issues with Wickham
Hard water here, and never a problem with any Wickham soap.
Hmm, I always assumed the poor performance was due to my water but perhaps not. There must be another reason for it. FWIW I've had: Classic 24, Cashmere, Magnum, English Rose, custom Issey scent & Ninfeo... Can't say I didn't give it a damn good go :happy:

Doti B

Forum GOD!
Maybe I’m being a bit impatient. I will give it at least another 3/4 attempts before coming to a final decision. Loving the scent of Ninfeo though

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Never had a problem lathering Wickham and we have hard water. In fact the opposite applies. :D I do tend to load a brush well though, squeeze it into the bowl then load again before going to work in the bowl. Squirt of the big G too.