Who else plays??

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I also play drums (badly) and Bonham is a God!
Yeah. I hear you on the "badly" part. I've been taking some time to transcribe Stairway. I always knew that Bonham was as slick as any studio drummer. The Steve Gadd of his time. But man, as I take the tune apart, my already huge respect for Bonham has even grown. His snare and bass drum work and how he melded the two together to create these grooves that just move you like no other hard rock drummer of his time simply blow me away. And I'm having some trouble actually playing what he did even after breaking it down. So, my challenge is to spend more time learning his stuff from that awesome fill on that tune to more of his grooves. And maybe this virus will go away so I can show off what little chops I have in some local dive bars.

bchaffin72

The wizard next door
I mostly listen to jazz and fusion but actually playing that stuff is beyond me
I feel that way about slap bass. I love the sound of it done by someone who can do it well. But that somene doesn't seem to be me. When I start to slap the bass, I'm pretty sure it wants to slap me back. And so does anyone who's listening!!

I've been obsessed with music since the age of 11, but didn't start playing guitar until I was 17. That was 1986. I turn 52 next month and despite several lengthy periods where I barely picked up the guitar, I still play. In fact I've been playing a lot more over the last few months.
Once the band days passed, I became much the same. Lots of off and on. And even a few periods where I owned nothing at all. I started over again in 2008, with a Squier Stratocaster and have worked my way up to two other electrics, two basses, and an acoustic.

Great to hear from fellow musicians on the forum.
Well, I figured the odds favored there being at least a few...........:D

bchaffin72

The wizard next door
Another drummer here. You can tell because when the stage is level, I dribble out of both sides of my mouth.
Also dabble in a bit of upside down guitar. I'm a lefty and couldn't be arsed to change the string round when my Dad gave me his old guitar.
I'm left handed, but I've never played that way. When I first learned, I never knew it mattered. Back then, I'd never seen footage of players like Hendrix or Iommi to know that they played left-handed. And, being miles from any music stores, I never even saw lefty instruments. Every other player I knew was right handed. It's all I saw, so I just assumed everyone played that way because that how it was done. Regardless of handedness. So when I was given my first guitar, it was a right hander and I just learned right handed never looked back.

Quique

Forum GOD!
I'm also left-handed and I don't play left-handed either. I learned to play the guitar with my sister's guitar and I didn't even consider that there was a left-handed way

Forged

Über Member
I’m a hack on a few instruments: Played drums in my teens and twenties but eventually constantly renting rehearsal space became untenable for a non working “musician” like myself, so I grudgingly sold off my kits.

Fooled around with guitar and mando for a decade or so after that, but an ongoing forearm injury put an end to that. Play the flute and harmonica a bit these days, and need to get an electric piano before I’m locked indoors for the long New England winter with nothing but wind instruments to play, because there’s only so many hours a week I can spend with an instrument pressed to my face, or actually inside it. :speechless:

wintoid

Out of control
I play a reasonable number of instruments, some well, some badly. Over the years, I've always been interested in synthesis and bass. I pretty much stopped making music when my kids came along. Time, you know. But I've been rekindling the interest since lockdown, and am working with some softsynths and learning the new technology that has happened since I've been away. I'm also trying to learn 5-string bass for the first time, which is weird after playing a 4-string exclusively. I still view the B string with suspicion.

les24preludes

Legendary Member
I've always been interested in synthesis and bass, and am working with some softsynths and learning the new technology that has happened since I've been away. I'm also trying to learn 5-string bass for the first time, which is weird after playing a 4-string exclusively. I still view the B string with suspicion.
Very similar to me! I've never used a 5 string. Had to downgrade from 34" to 30" short scale due to arthritis in left thumb. More playable.

I do a lot of songwriting in Garageband. Never upgraded to Logic and don't need to for what I do. But I do enter every note myself from my computer in the grid below, including all the drum parts. It's educational constructing a drum part!! I do consult drummer friends on how to do it. I should probably use my keyboard for entering the notes, but I kind of like doing it more note by note. Slower but more controlled. It takes ages to go through all the software sounds to find the ones you want to use more regularly. It's a huge journey, but it does allow you to construct pretty much finished songs, albeit ones that do sound like they were created in Garageband!!

vates

Über Member
I play the bass and the acoustic guitar in a few different bands. No gigs since March for obvious reasons. I also indulge myself in electrics and a mandolin from time to time.

Forged

Über Member
That lone Rototom..... I was going to post a U.K. video so Bruford’s Rotos could keep yours company, but the YouTube vids are either terrible quality or way too long. I’m sure they’re here in spirit though.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I used to play the keyboard got to grade 3 or 4 can't remember now. My first exam was one of the most nervous I've ever been. Loved playing though very peaceful and almost a type of meditation for myself.

My brother played the flute, he completed (grade 8?) but started at 5 years old, when he couldn't even reach the end of the flute!

My parents were subject to several concerts by the two of us :)

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
That lone Rototom..... I was going to post a U.K. video so Bruford’s Rotos could keep yours company, but the YouTube vids are either terrible quality or way too long. I’m sure they’re here in spirit though.
That is a 10". I have a 12" one as well as they came as a pair. I love Bruford. UK. Alan Holdsworth. One of my favorites. And one of my future projects is to buy a 14", 16" and 18" and find a regular bass drum for my "Roto Kit". Unfortunately those sizes I need are somewhat rare and expensive when they are available.