Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

vates

Legendary Member
At the risk of repeating myself, a new neighbor came to my house many years ago who happened to be of Scottish decent. More than that, his father was and/or still does work for a distillery in Scotland. When he came over and the subject of scotch came up, I mentioned that Lagavulin is my favorite. A very smokey and peaty dram. His response? "You drink that stuff?! It tastes like ass!". And in a thick Scottish brogue. Yet, wouldn't you know the first time I'm invited over to his place, what does he have on the bar? Lagavulin. Is it possible I turned a Scot onto Lagavulin? Probably not. I think he was just messing with me. But true story.

Have you tried their 8-year old expression? Had a chance to compare it to Laga 16 yesterday. Although the general profile is obviously from the same family, these are absolutely different spirits. The 8 is fresh, zesty and in-your-face. The smoke is somewhat thin and light. Whereas 16 is just so much thicker and richer. Glad I've got a spare bottle of the latter in my cellar :)

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Have you tried their 8-year old expression? Had a chance to compare it to Laga 16 yesterday. Although the general profile is obviously from the same family, these are absolutely different spirits. The 8 is fresh, zesty and in-your-face. The smoke is somewhat thin and light. Whereas 16 is just so much thicker and richer. Glad I've got a spare bottle of the latter in my cellar :)
Yes, I have gone through a bottle of the 8 and have another on hand in the basement for next winter. I'm a seasonal drinker. Scotch during the colder months. I agree with your description. I consider it a lighter version of the 16 in every way. Ligher color, lighter on the peat, lighter on the smoke. I like it but prefer the 16. And fortunately for me I also have a bottle of 16 in the basement waiting for the winter to arrive. I also have a Distiller's Edition as well.

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
I don't know about either the Tobermory 12 or the Bunnahabhain 12, but I can vouch for the Jura 10 (and 12) and for Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair

20210922_200339.jpg

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I have until recently distilled my own spirits (Whiskey, Rum, Moonshine).
It is legal here in NZ to own/operate your own.
Anyway, I have just one bottle left of my single malt whiskey.
Made the proper way with grain, etc...none of this flavoured sugar water rubbish thanks. Matured on oak for only 1 year (couldn't wait any longer!).
Bottled it at 76%. Only had space for a few bottles so by bottling at 76% I needed fewer bottles.
Figured I could just 'water' it down at drinkies time!
No way...it's bloody nice as is.
A wee drop of water maybe, or an ice cube and it's a lovely sipping drop.
Had to sell the still as moved to a small retirement unit and no room for all my 'hobbies'.
When this last bottle goes I'll be searching for a good high% whiskey, so it's great reading all the thoughts/recommendations on here.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Haig Club (because it was cheap in Sainsbury’s.
Yuk.
Will be saved for mixing with coke or ginger wine.
LOL, I could have saved you the pain there, I once tried a miniature out of curiosity and it tasted like very cheap vodka with a teaspoon of Bells in it. Honestly I don't know how they have the gall to call it whisky.

@Blackie if you're really looking for high ABV you probably want a cask strength but TBH I find around 46% seems to be the sweet spot with whisky.

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I read some time ago about an Aussie visiting Ireland and went to the local bar.
Asked for a Jamesons (IIRC) whiskey and was damn near tossed out.
"We only serve Bushmills here" he was promptly told.
Was in the wrong part of Ireland to order Jamesons apparently.
The old Northern Ireland/Southern Ireland thing.
Reminder to tourists...you have to keep your mind on this or risk starting an International incident!
Anyway...@Burgundy...how's the Bushmills?
It's one I would like to try.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I read some time ago about an Aussie visiting Ireland and went to the local bar.
Asked for a Jamesons (IIRC) whiskey and was damn near tossed out.
"We only serve Bushmills here" he was promptly told.
Was in the wrong part of Ireland to order Jamesons apparently.
The old Northern Ireland/Southern Ireland thing.
Reminder to tourists...you have to keep your mind on this or risk starting an International incident!
Anyway...@Burgundy...how's the Bushmills?
It's one I would like to try.
I can’t judge it fairly yet as I’ve only had one single neck pour. My first impressions are milk bottle sweets and that it’s a bit gentle for me. Think M&S pyjamas, an electric blanket, a shared bar of Dairy Milk, and your wife insisting on watching Bake Off on catch up. We’ll see how it develops!

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
There is no bad Whisky’s
only good ones & better ones :)
Dalmore for me Possibly the best whiskey ever.
King Alexander 111 is like Amber Nectar and the cheaper bottle of Cigar Malt goes down a treat.
At the moment i have a Dalmore Trio which is made in three separate barrels, whisky, bourbon & sherry
Travel only whisky so you can pick it up at Airports

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
It’s desperate cynical stuff! Whisky by spreadsheet.
He can't have. Your description of cheap vodka with a teaspoon of Bells in it is disturbingly accurate :sick:
In terms of its provenance, that’s really not a million miles from the truth. It’s cheap, young grain whisky from a mega Diageo distillery that also manufactures Smirnoff, Gordon’s and, amongst other things, distillate that goes into Bell’s.

Even so, it doesn’t take the biscuit for being the worst whisk(e)y I’ve had. I was gifted a bottle of Glen Moray a few Christmases ago which was so sulphurous that I couldn’t even drown it in ginger ale. I think that even the sink protested as it was poured down the drain…