Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

halvor

a most elusive fish
These just arrived today. Have to applaud Master of Malt, I ordered yesterday evening just before 6pm, free standard delivery (over £100 spent!), and it arrived just after 2pm today.

View attachment 68839View attachment 68840
Haha, curiosity got the better of you after the Nikka lost out to the Glen Scotia last time around? On that note, brought the Nikka for a long weekend in the mountains. Found father in law’s Dalwhinnie here and couldn’t resist doing a side by side. I usually find the latter a rather caramelised thing, very likeable but sweet. Compared to Nikka? Dry. And I’ll have to say my preference lies with the Scot.

halvor

a most elusive fish
@Burgundy @Rowlers

Believe I started my early whisky drinking with whiskey, as it were. Notably Jameson. (Made for easy drinking...) When seeing your posts here on the Caskmates edition, figured I might take a punt. However, taxes and fees on alcohol over here mean that the ‘entry level’, cheap spirits are relatively speaking a lot more expensive than their premium brethren when compared to eg UK prices. A regular Jameson is at current rate NOK to GBP, £33. The Caskmates is £35.5. For reference, Redbreast 12, along with Dalwhinnie 15, Laphroaig 10, Talisker 10, to mention a few, are all in the £44-46 range. Question then, is, is the Caskmates edition worth it, or is the main value in its QPR at less ~£15?

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
@Burgundy @Rowlers

Believe I started my early whisky drinking with whiskey, as it were. Notably Jameson. (Made for easy drinking...) When seeing your posts here on the Caskmates edition, figured I might take a punt. However, taxes and fees on alcohol over here mean that the ‘entry level’, cheap spirits are relatively speaking a lot more expensive than their premium brethren when compared to eg UK prices. A regular Jameson is at current rate NOK to GBP, £33. The Caskmates is £35.5. For reference, Redbreast 12, along with Dalwhinnie 15, Laphroaig 10, Talisker 10, to mention a few, are all in the £44-46 range. Question then, is, is the Caskmates edition worth it, or is the main value in its QPR at less ~£15?
I'm certainly no expert @halvor, but the price difference is about the same in the UK, approximately £10 difference between Jameson's Stout and Laphroaig 10. So I'd say, yeah, as a "daily" sipper the Jameson's is definitely worth a "shot".

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
@Burgundy @Rowlers

It serves a different niche to me than something like Redbreast. I’d drink the RB12 and savour the taste - especially if it was the Cask Strength! - but would switch to something cheaper after a couple of pours once my tastebuds were fatigued or I was getting the buzz! I’ve also got no qualms in using the Jameson in a cocktail or as a mixer whereas I’d see using a top shelf whisk(e)y for that purpose as a bit of a waste.

So, in answer to your question, I don’t really know. It’s worth a couple of quid more than stock Jameson, to me, but if RB12 was only a tenner more than the trade-up would be good value. I guess it depends on what your other options in the £35~ bracket are and whether you consider your £45 whiskies to be good value.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I find the Jameson Stout to be a big improvement over the regular and worth the difference.

I have never had the RB12 which sounds special in reviews. Good whisky is to enjoy for good days and special occasions. Keep the regular Jameson handy for the bad days, the in-laws and cheap neighbors. Savour the RB12 (or other good whisky) over several months - not the first 2 weeks in July. Worth the gamble and trying once.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Thanks, Ben, Lee and Howie :cheers: I’ll give the Stout a go.

Currently in mourning (and equally savouring those last drops) over having poured the final drop from the below bottle. Likely won’t find the Jameson to replace it, but hoping indeed it will serve a different niche. The Springbank will figure high on my watch list when another batch comes in at our national Vinmonopol (wine monopoly, effectively alcohol monopoly, government owned but run commercially within certain limitations).
3B255EDD-6CF5-4EBB-9B72-C6C773FA717B.jpeg

@p.b finished mine — What’s the status of yours?

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Thanks, Ben, Lee and Howie :cheers: I’ll give the Stout a go.

Currently in mourning (and equally savouring those last drops) over having poured the final drop from the below bottle. Likely won’t find the Jameson to replace it, but hoping indeed it will serve a different niche. The Springbank will figure high on my watch list when another batch comes in at our national Vinmonopol (wine monopoly, effectively alcohol monopoly, government owned but run commercially within certain limitations).
View attachment 70909
@p.b finished mine — What’s the status of yours?
Springbank was always a favorite and somewhat reasonable cost. I have been debating on another bottle.

halvor

a most elusive fish
A2580F29-2343-4105-8397-0791522C0A80.jpeg

Got a bottle of the Jameson Stout edition the other day and concur with earlier statements here. Decidedly a step up from the standard version. I struggle to see that the stout barrels are the single factor in explaining the toasty toffee character present here, however, but never mind, I’m happy with it :cheers:

(Somehow a bottle of A’bunadh fell into the cart at the same time... It’s been on the must-sample list for a long time and there was only one left on the shelf — could hardly let this pass me by, now could I?)

Last edited: