Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

vates

Legendary Member
At the risk of repeating myself, a new neighbor came to my house many years ago who happened to be of Scottish decent. More than that, his father was and/or still does work for a distillery in Scotland. When he came over and the subject of scotch came up, I mentioned that Lagavulin is my favorite. A very smokey and peaty dram. His response? "You drink that stuff?! It tastes like ass!". And in a thick Scottish brogue. Yet, wouldn't you know the first time I'm invited over to his place, what does he have on the bar? Lagavulin. Is it possible I turned a Scot onto Lagavulin? Probably not. I think he was just messing with me. But true story.

Have you tried their 8-year old expression? Had a chance to compare it to Laga 16 yesterday. Although the general profile is obviously from the same family, these are absolutely different spirits. The 8 is fresh, zesty and in-your-face. The smoke is somewhat thin and light. Whereas 16 is just so much thicker and richer. Glad I've got a spare bottle of the latter in my cellar :)

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Have you tried their 8-year old expression? Had a chance to compare it to Laga 16 yesterday. Although the general profile is obviously from the same family, these are absolutely different spirits. The 8 is fresh, zesty and in-your-face. The smoke is somewhat thin and light. Whereas 16 is just so much thicker and richer. Glad I've got a spare bottle of the latter in my cellar :)
Yes, I have gone through a bottle of the 8 and have another on hand in the basement for next winter. I'm a seasonal drinker. Scotch during the colder months. I agree with your description. I consider it a lighter version of the 16 in every way. Ligher color, lighter on the peat, lighter on the smoke. I like it but prefer the 16. And fortunately for me I also have a bottle of 16 in the basement waiting for the winter to arrive. I also have a Distiller's Edition as well.

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I have until recently distilled my own spirits (Whiskey, Rum, Moonshine).
It is legal here in NZ to own/operate your own.
Anyway, I have just one bottle left of my single malt whiskey.
Made the proper way with grain, etc...none of this flavoured sugar water rubbish thanks. Matured on oak for only 1 year (couldn't wait any longer!).
Bottled it at 76%. Only had space for a few bottles so by bottling at 76% I needed fewer bottles.
Figured I could just 'water' it down at drinkies time!
No way...it's bloody nice as is.
A wee drop of water maybe, or an ice cube and it's a lovely sipping drop.
Had to sell the still as moved to a small retirement unit and no room for all my 'hobbies'.
When this last bottle goes I'll be searching for a good high% whiskey, so it's great reading all the thoughts/recommendations on here.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Haig Club (because it was cheap in Sainsbury’s.
Yuk.
Will be saved for mixing with coke or ginger wine.
LOL, I could have saved you the pain there, I once tried a miniature out of curiosity and it tasted like very cheap vodka with a teaspoon of Bells in it. Honestly I don't know how they have the gall to call it whisky.

@Blackie if you're really looking for high ABV you probably want a cask strength but TBH I find around 46% seems to be the sweet spot with whisky.

Reactions: p.b