Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

vates

Legendary Member
Coincidentally, I've first uncorked it just a few hours ago.
Despite the high proof doesn't feel aggressive at all. It's a whisky that tastes like... whisky.
Fresh and malty with hints of barley, fruits, and honey. Quite bright, a bit salty, and delicious.
Couldn't really taste any peat/smoke (so far). Very nice oaky finish.
I like it. Glad I have more.

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
Sounds good @vates , I am having a dance around my dads stuff, tonight Glenmorangie, Glenlivet - founders reserve, Aberlour 10, and will probably finish with his version of a Robbie Mac, Grouse n crabbies green ginger. Boy I still miss him.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Coincidentally, I've first uncorked it just a few hours ago.
Despite the high proof doesn't feel aggressive at all. It's a whisky that tastes like... whisky.
Fresh and malty with hints of barley, fruits, and honey. Quite bright, a bit salty, and delicious.
Couldn't really taste any peat/smoke (so far). Very nice oaky finish.
I like it. Glad I have more.
No wonder - it’s unpeated!

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Still. Many reviewers claim that they sense a hint of smoke there.
I saw the same thing on both Total Wine's site as well as Buichladdich's site. Needless to say I plan on picking up a bottle of The Classic Laddie to start with and see how I like it. My point of reference is Lagavulin for the smokey stuff so I imagine this will be extremely tame. But I don't need smoke or peet. I'm interested in a smooth yet tastey scotch with some character. Their Port Charlotte line looks interesting.

vates

Legendary Member
Thanks to your suggestions gentlemen I've tasted an English whisky for the first time.
What a lovely dram!
Very soft, despite being cask strength. Toffee, honey, wildflowers, and oak. Without being too sweet.
That's the kind of whisky I fancy the most. Cheers!

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist

But for me the 12 is an obvious winner: much more interesting on the nose, the palate is more complex, and the finish is on another level.
Yeah, 12 Yr Old Caol Ila is a favourite of mine, I will have to get a bottle in, it doesn't last long though.

Last edited:

Fr34ksonaLeash

Forum GOD!
I'm a massive peat head, so much so I just don't see the point of buying in any other whisky because when I do fancy a whisky, I'd reach for the Laphroaig. If I'd poured another whisky, I'd spend the whole time wishing it was Laphroaig.

Laphroaig is where the bar is for peaty whiskies - the defacto, the standard; like Guinness is to stouts.

Personally, I think it is improved with a drop ... literally, a drop of water to just temper the alcohol and let out the full flavour of the grain and smoke. Champion!

Another I particularly used to enjoy was Caol Ila. Perhaps a tinge sweeter than Laphoriag with a tinge less medicinality < yes, that's a word ... I just coined in.
Medicinality !!
That's exactly how my other half describes peated whiskeys when I have a glass 😄

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
At the risk of repeating myself, a new neighbor came to my house many years ago who happened to be of Scottish decent. More than that, his father was and/or still does work for a distillery in Scotland. When he came over and the subject of scotch came up, I mentioned that Lagavulin is my favorite. A very smokey and peaty dram. His response? "You drink that stuff?! It tastes like ass!". And in a thick Scottish brogue. Yet, wouldn't you know the first time I'm invited over to his place, what does he have on the bar? Lagavulin. Is it possible I turned a Scot onto Lagavulin? Probably not. I think he was just messing with me. But true story.