Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

halvor

a most elusive fish
Nikka from the Barrel - thoughts? Budget tipple, and comes in at an even lower price than Monkey Shoulder, which didn’t do it for me. Does Nikka come with more complexity?

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Monkey Shoulders is one of the few "all scotch" blends - most blends use non-scotch fillers. Nice scotch but lack some of the traditional scotch senses. I have never tried but have interest in Nikka.

halvor

a most elusive fish
@Stonec0ld @Batch300 Will take a punt and let you know. Just noticed it was rated by my go-to national (wine) rating source in Jan. Not sure if that means there was a batch arriving early this year. Highly rated, fwiw, 91/100, but I don’t know her whisky tasting skills.

halvor

a most elusive fish
I finished a bottle of Black Bush tonight. I’ll either go round on it again or give Bushmills 10 a go if the price is right.
Cheers!

Hope everything good with the family, Ben, Corona and all. (Noticed you saying something about reducing your position. Spurred by this immediate situation or just the weight of the general time squeeze?)

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Cheers!

Hope everything good with the family, Ben, Corona and all. (Noticed you saying something about reducing your position. Spurred by this immediate situation or just the weight of the general time squeeze?)
We’re good!

Before all this kicked off, we had decided to switch our lifestyle to that which better suits our values. I had been working all hours and bringing both work and stress home. My wife already worked part-time and, by her going up a day, it meant financially that I could step down and cut back to a four day week. Our initial plan is for me to spend that time and emotional energy on the family and, in time, carve out new side gigs and projects.

Due to the notice periods that I have to give, this isn’t actually effective until September but the lockdown and, later on, summer holidays are giving me time to unwind and adjust! I’ve been spending time doing up the house and garden, sorting out our finances etc. Although financially we’ll be no worse off, I’m looking to cut down our expenses - one of which is booze!

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Pay day in a week and I seem to have some spare fundage, most likely due to the lack of BST & raffles. Thinking about one of these, I hear good things. Anyone tried the Glen Scotia? Saw it won some award recently.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I’ve never really explored American whiskey beyond the days of JD and Coke in the early 2000s but I have a hankering to do some exploring. Any recommendations?

There have been the same two bottles of Wild Turkey 101 gathering dust in Tesco for the last week which I quite fancy the look of...

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
I’ve never really explored American whiskey beyond the days of JD and Coke in the early 2000s but I have a hankering to do some exploring. Any recommendations?

There have been the same two bottles of Wild Turkey 101 gathering dust in Tesco for the last week which I quite fancy the look of...
I like woodford reserve

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
@Stonec0ld @Burgundy
- Woodford Reserve is a great "stepping stone" from Scotch to sweeter (corn based) Bourbon. Some "smoke" for the transition.
- Buffalo Trace could be the best bargain in bourbon.
- Larceny could be the best bargain in "wheated" bourbons. Pappy Van Winkle is also a "wheated" bourbon if that helps.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I tried Canadian Club last week and for a cheap bottle, it was lovely. Mrs enjoyed it with Coke and straight with an ice cube for me.. Will deffo buy again.