Whisky, whiskey, scotch, bourbon, rye .. anything grain mash

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Starting to delve into the dark hole of whiskeys. Yesterday I bought:
Auchentoshan American oak, Malt Whisky
Heard the 12 year old option is much better but it wasn't in stock. Not a bad flavour to the above. Honey, berries and a fiery after burn.
Today I have bought Nikka and Talisker single malt whiskey. Will be testing these on the rough Norwegian seas :)

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Good on you Nishy. I have to be very selective with Scotch whisky, as i have a slight allergic reaction (itchy hands and face) to many. On the other hand, I am not affect by Canadian, Irish or American whiskies, unless I drink too much of course. I am not, however, partial to Bourbons and whisky of that ilk as I find them too sweet. In the final analysis my go to whiskey is Crown Royal, which I drink straight up.

Last edited:

Dule083

Forum GOD!
Heard the 12 year old option is much better but it wasn't in stock. Not a bad flavour to the above. Honey, berries and a fiery after burn.
Today I have bought Nikka and Talisker single malt whiskey. Will be testing these on the rough Norwegian seas :)
Well. For me Auchentoshan have slight lack of caracter. To "soft" and kind usuall. But also one of rare triplle distilled single malts. Nikka and Talisker are muuuuuuuuch more serius plauers. Japaneze whiskeys are masterpieces. If you can grab some Yamazaki between 2010 and 2014 you will see what is seventh heaven. Irish whiskeys as Green spotaybe will be interesting world. And off course you must try Amruth. But my advice is to try one from each malt region and find which best sweets for you.I am isla and Island man. Also big fan of Campbeltown single malts- Springbank , one of rare non filtered and non colored whiskey.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Talisker is excellent especially the 10 year old, the Storm's pretty good too. I’m not a fan of the Skye so much, it’s sort of Talisker-light.

The only Japanese whisky I’ve tried is Hibiki which was very, very good. I’m more of a fan of the Islay peat monsters though.

Dule083

Forum GOD!
Talisker is excellent especially the 10 year old, the Storm's pretty good too. I’m not a fan of the Skye so much, it’s sort of Talisker-light.

The only Japanese whisky I’ve tried is Hibiki which was very, very good. I’m more of a fan of the Islay peat monsters though.
You score my "soft spot" I try Suntory Hibiki and for my homble oppinion THE BEST blend I ever try.

Amruth fusion is my warm recomendation. But I am inlowed in peated beasts.

Crossroads

Veteran
Top tip for a standard blended scotch - is Whyte & Mackay - 1 litre currently £16 in Sainsbury's - smooth and full flavoured and very drinkable straight, but you really should try it with Coke - yes I was shocked when it was suggested to me as well, but it is a fantastic mixed drink.

I try and ration the Ardbeg 10 yr old these days.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Talisker was the most enjoyable, over Nikka I also bought Suntory Toki, which is not a bad tipple.