Which shavette...

Irfan

Forum GOD!
Any guys regularly using shavette's here? I've got straights too, but on a recent holiday started to enjoy the shave from a crazy sharp shavette. It's a Sanguine, pretty basic but does the job.
What other shavettes are out there, I'm looking for a middle of the road, not too pricey affair?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Vintage Weck razors are much nicer, but that sort of thing will do the job ... with the same blades. The blades are much akin to single edge blade we use in 1912s and the like - similar feel, just longer and narrower. Nice shaves.

Irfan

Forum GOD!
That's very good reading. I'm still not sure if I'm into the shavette but my week of shaving with one has been enjoyable. I'd felt that using a vintage straight would be the end of my shaving journey but this shavette fetish of mine has opened another avenue of possibilities.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I've just scythed a month of beard off with my vintage Weck MD. One pass. Felt lovely!

These were retailed as "Orderly Razors" ... for Orderlies. Medical folks. All stainless and they do come with a guard, say, you were shaving someone in prep for an operation. I just use without the guard. The blades I've got are under the Diane brand (no doubt made by Personna) and are platinum coated. Smoother than the simply stainless Personna; like a Personna on the second shave but with the sharpness of the first.

How are you @Irfan getting on with the Diamond Edge?

Irfan

Forum GOD!
I've just scythed a month of beard off with my vintage Weck MD. One pass. Felt lovely!

These were retailed as "Orderly Razors" ... for Orderlies. Medical folks. All stainless and they do come with a guard, say, you were shaving someone in prep for an operation. I just use without the guard. The blades I've got are under the Diane brand (no doubt made by Personna) and are platinum coated. Smoother than the simply stainless Personna; like a Personna on the second shave but with the sharpness of the first.

How are you @Irfan getting on with the Diamond Edge?
I'm not sure.
I like the rubbery grip and the blade size but the experience wasn't great.
It just felt really light. It was effective enough but it felt scratchy.
It's my day off tomorrow, which is when I take my time and mess around and it's not the razor I'm going for.
Regardless of what I tell myself, this shaving malarkey is either a hobby or an obsession. I genuinely can't say what it is that I'm craving!

pjgh

Forum GOD!
It is a light razor ... nimble for some.

On the other hand, the Weck I pictured is a heavy one! 66g! To put into context, I have one real straight - it's a 13/16 wedge with C19th scales and that comes in at 60g.

The Miraki I mentioned above is also a heavy(ish) one being all metal, but a bit of a faff with the sleeves.

Irfan

Forum GOD!
It's probably more the feel than the weight. If it had cut through my stubble like a hot knife through butter, I'd probably be singing it's praises.
My lightest razor is a Chinese flying eagle DE which I initially disliked, but it has this lovely gentle mild feeling. I almost prefer it to my Muhle 89.
My favourite straight (out of the three that I use) is my Kropp which is a bit heavier than the others.
And...just seen CJB kamisori for sale on our forum from dekker, and I'm immediately excited. It's been an interesting day!

Last edited: