What would you buy for £950?

flobberdob

Forum GOD!
Well my Corsa (bought last September) didn't last very long, unfortunately was driving to work a couple of weeks ago, minding my own business when next thing I know I'm waking up with a bloodied head and my car half destroyed. Some arse had come flying out of a side street and driven straight into the side of me.

Anyway long and short of it I have a cheque for £950 to buy a new car. I fancy a golf GTI but been told a 1.9 GT diesel would be better and longer lasting. But I'm not wedded to buying one of these.

Going to see this tomorrow:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704104259703

Any opinions on what to look for or any other advice would be welcome particularly looking at you @Dipesh or @Rowlers :)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Well my Corsa (bought last September) didn't last very long, unfortunately was driving to work a couple of weeks ago, minding my own business when next thing I know I'm waking up with a bloodied head and my car half destroyed. Some arse had come flying out of a side street and driven straight into the side of me.

Anyway long and short of it I have a cheque for £950 to buy a new car. I fancy a golf GTI but been told a 1.9 GT diesel would be better and longer lasting. But I'm not wedded to buying one of these.

Going to see this tomorrow:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704104259703

Any opinions on what to look for or any other advice would be welcome particularly looking at you @Dipesh or @Rowlers :)
If that golf has a FSH, you could have a superb motor there. The PD engines are notorious for running forever, 110k is nothing for that engine
Service history is paramount though..!

flobberdob

Forum GOD!
If that golf has a FSH, you could have a superb motor there. The PD engines are notorious for running forever, 110k is nothing for that engine
Service history is paramount though..!
Yeah there is no mention of FSH, so that could be a issue. Been looking for GTI's and GT's but problem is there ain't an awful lot for sale in my price range within 50 miles of me and I loose my courtesy car on Thursday so I'm getting hemmed in by time!

Would a partial service history still not tempt you?

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Yeah there is no mention of FSH, so that could be a issue. Been looking for GTI's and GT's but problem is there ain't an awful lot for sale in my price range within 50 miles of me and I loose my courtesy car on Thursday so I'm getting hemmed in by time!

Would a partial service history still not tempt you?
Absolutley...From the pics it looks in good order, so likely has been looked after. Check for turbo noise and excessive smoke (a fekked turbo sounds like a police car siren!), check the clutch, check for bangs/knocks groans etc.. on the test drive. Wheel arches can rust through on the MK4, but that one look OK. Great buying guide here:
http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?110842-Buying-a-GT-TDI-mk4-anything-I-should-be-looking-for

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Great cars. The Pd engines are pretty much bullet proof. I'd say more fun than a 1.8T. Do avoid the 2.0 gti. It's so dull!

We have a few coming to our place with over 300k and still going strong. These are however serviced very very regular.

One thing that has started to crop up recently now they are getting old is head gasket failure and crack heads. Simple to check as the coolant system pressurises so when you take off the cap on the header tank you get a loud hiss. If that's the case. Avoid!! Very fixable though. I would say it's effected 2 of the 10-12 or so we get to see.

Other thing that could cause an issue on these is rear axle bushes. They will thud at the back of the car so one to watch out for. It's an MOT failure.

The final expsensive thing you need to watch out for is on idle, the engine should not move back and forth. If it does and when you dip the clutch it goes away, it'll be a dual mass flywheel on the way out and will be a significant cost to put right.

For £950, if the miles are genuine I personally would worry that much about a full service history but you do need proof of a cambelt change. Go for it!

flobberdob

Forum GOD!
Big thanks Dipesh & Lee, that is brilliant advice and I will certainly check for all those tomorrow.

I trying to be sensible getting the right advice but the car looks like bloody good fun! I might already be sold.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
For £950? SAAB 9-3 Aero ... should get a circa 2003-2006 for under a grand nowadays. No bloodied heads (well, not yours anyway) with a SAAB and any other car.

Actually, I'd start with a good garage ... what can they look after easily and cheaply with off the shelf spares, parts and know-how. My mechanics are the reason I've stuck with SAAB. They also do TVRs. Urgh! I think those are the car owners that pay their mortgages.

Back to your Golf ... and diesel. Check the recent news - the backlash against diesel has begun and it's going to get harder and harder for diesel owners over the coming years. Charges to enter cities, higher VED to come, higher price at the pump ... something to ponder.

There are absolutely bucket-loads of those Golfs around, so parts and skills will be plentiful without having to resort to VW for service and maintenance.

flobberdob

Forum GOD!
For £950? SAAB 9-3 Aero ... should get a circa 2003-2006 for under a grand nowadays. No bloodied heads (well, not yours anyway) with a SAAB and any other car.

Actually, I'd start with a good garage ... what can they look after easily and cheaply with off the shelf spares, parts and know-how. My mechanics are the reason I've stuck with SAAB. They also do TVRs. Urgh! I think those are the car owners that pay their mortgages.

Back to your Golf ... and diesel. Check the recent news - the backlash against diesel has begun and it's going to get harder and harder for diesel owners over the coming years. Charges to enter cities, higher VED to come, higher price at the pump ... something to ponder.

There are absolutely bucket-loads of those Golfs around, so parts and skills will be plentiful without having to resort to VW for service and maintenance.

I did consider a Saab as there seems to be a lot of good examples about as well as a Toyota Celia.

As you put it, having a diesel going forwards is going to be an issue. I can imagine the govt screwing over diesel drivers on tax big time.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
The diesel issue I think is greatly over exaggerated. The fumes & nox issue is largely down to delivery trucks and buses AFAIK. Especially modern diesels. There is also evidence (somewhere, I don't have it to hand) that petrol, as it is a less efficient fuel, actually emits more poisons than diesel. Just a different tax imo...

dadant

Forum GOD!
The diesel issue I think is greatly over exaggerated. The fumes & nox issue is largely down to delivery trucks and buses AFAIK. Especially modern diesels. There is also evidence (somewhere, I don't have it to hand) that petrol, as it is a less efficient fuel, actually emits more poisons than diesel. Just a different tax imo...
Diesel cars emit less hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and lead pollution than petrol cars, but produce more noxious gases and significantly more particulates. Larger diesel vehicles are also significantly more tightly regulated than domestic diesel vehicles, there isn't even a particulate test for diesel cars and it still easy to remove the dpf.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...s-more-toxic-than-trucks-and-buses-data-shows