What was your first motorbike? Do you still have it?

Mike Smart

Legendary Member
My first bike was a
kawasaki KH 125 which i bought when i was 17 second hand & a bag of 💩 really.
Then at 18 i bought a
Yamaga DH 125 LC
i loved that bike and it got stolen 5 times and the 5th i didn’t get it back.
iv had loads of bikes since.
Suzuki Katana was probably the best Brand new bike but my all time favourite
was the Norton Commando
man that was class. Another bike i bought brand new in the early 90’s was an Enfield from India
that was a 600 with the power of a 250 lol.
The last bike i owned & sold 5 years ago was again bought new was the
Kawasaki ZX 900 R so basically a Ninja.
i’m 55 now so probably done with bikes unfortunately

HereticHermit

Legendary Member
My RD350 mods altered the power band quite dramatically.
The lower down power band wasn't there. It was shifted higher, but still had hugely more power down low than as standard. The damn thing just launched like a rocket but couldn't use full throttle in first 3 gears.
Winding up in 5th and hitting power band at indicated 90mph let the front wheel lift so nicely!
Not in a worrying way. It was a 'gentle' lift and easily controlled.
Then was time to hit 6th gear. Loved that wee bike.
Had Dunlop TT100 tyres on it too.
Ran like a cut cat and handled so sweetly. Hey...I do like the 'track slut' moniker. So true!
Missus says I'm 'too old' to have a bike now (geez, I'm only 74 so there's a few more miles left in me surely).
Anyway, safe riding guys.
Oh yes, power band. Don't get me start on that. Mine was tuned for early pick up so the exhaust pipe was really fat right after exhaust band and I had hard time keeping the wheel down on after traffic light turned green. But she was so easy to throw around weaving throught the traffic.
Wish you many years of happy riding ahead mate. Don't slow down!
.... Another bike i bought brand new in the early 90’s was an Enfield from India that was a 600 with the power of a 250 lol.
i’m 55 now so probably done with bikes unfortunately
I think that was a 500CC unless they launched a 600CC in UK. I bought one in 1991 and regretted getting one within 15 days. It was slow as molasses and a long travel push rod single cylinder design helped zero in performance. Engine breather cum lube tube meant to spray lube on chain was lubing my pant hem more than the chain. There was oil slick everywhere and atrocious gearbox was either slipping gears when put thin lube or gears stuck dry if used grease. I use to blend lube and grease in a mixer and achieve just the right consistency to work in gear box. Sold it off within 6 months and swore off 4 strokes forever.

Mike Smart

Legendary Member
Oh yes, power band. Don't get me start on that. Mine was tuned for early pick up so the exhaust pipe was really fat right after exhaust band and I had hard time keeping the wheel down on after traffic light turned green. But she was so easy to throw around weaving throught the traffic.
Wish you many years of happy riding ahead mate. Don't slow down!

I think that was a 500CC unless they launched a 600CC in UK. I bought one in 1991 and regretted getting one within 15 days. It was slow as molasses and a long travel push rod single cylinder design helped zero in performance. Engine breather cum lube tube meant to spray lube on chain was lubing my pant hem more than the chain. There was oil slick everywhere and atrocious gearbox was either slipping gears when put thin lube or gears stuck dry if used grease. I use to blend lube and grease in a mixer and achieve just the right consistency to work in gear box. Sold it off within 6 months and swore off 4 strokes forever.
hahahah yes i think your right
i kept mine to years just because i liked the idea of having a Enfield
ah the good old days lol