Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Once in a while

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

Triple Milled

Forum GOD!
I have got to the stage with it that I don't get many nicks, now I'm concentrating on getting closer shaves. I'm enjoying it more with every use and my other razors are not getting much attention. Also, I've just acquired my first straight so it's good practice for that. The straight is with @JamieM for honing at the moment and I can't wait to try that out. I seem to be precariously balanced on the edge of another rabbit hole.😉

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I have got to the stage with it that I don't get many nicks, now I'm concentrating on getting closer shaves. I'm enjoying it more with every use and my other razors are not getting much attention. Also, I've just acquired my first straight so it's good practice for that. The straight is with @JamieM for honing at the moment and I can't wait to try that out. I seem to be precariously balanced on the edge of another rabbit hole.😉

Garry, you have gone down the correct road, a good stepping stone is Shavette to a traditional straight razor, your technique will be pretty good, obviously learning to strop is a big learning curve, prep is something you can't overlook stretching your skin and keeping your angle correct is more important with a straight razor, try and keep that spine as close to your face as possible 20 degrees or even closer, I'm sure you will eventually get to grips with it, my advice would be at first go with the grain and a few small across the grain strokes, forget about against the grain until you feel really comfortable using a traditional straight razor, good luck. PS this is a pretty good video.

Triple Milled

Forum GOD!
Garry, you have gone down the correct road, a good stepping stone is Shavette to a traditional straight razor, your technique will be pretty good, obviously learning to strop is a big learning curve, prep is something you can't overlook stretching your skin and keeping your angle correct is more important with a straight razor, try and keep that spine as close to your face as possible 20 degrees or even closer, I'm sure you will eventually get to grips with it, my advice would be at first go with the grain and a few small across the grain strokes, forget about against the grain until you feel really comfortable using a traditional straight razor, good luck. PS this is a pretty good video.

Thanks Jamie, I'm definitely not going to try and run before I can walk but angle, skin stretching etc are what I'm concentrating on now after having got past the initial trepidation of using an unguarded blade. I've got a lot to learn and a lot more skill to build but so far I'm really enjoying this type of shaving.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I would learn to hone your own because not everyone’s beard is the same. I’ve never had another persons hone suit me. That said, you’ve chosen someone with a good reputation.

Triple Milled

Forum GOD!
I would learn to hone your own because not everyone’s beard is the same. I’ve never had another persons hone suit me. That said, you’ve chosen someone with a good reputation.
Eventually I'd like to but for now, getting properly competent with the razor and strop is enough to be going on with. I'm more than happy to leave the honing to the experts until I've got the other basics sorted.