What shavette/blade combo gives the most similar experience of a straight razor?

UKRob

Forum GOD!
There is a major difference between a straight razor edge and manufactured blades. The Artist Club razors are nearer the SR experience but the blades are coated - so apart from being very sharp, they also cut easily. I have yet to come across a straight razor , whether honed by me or several other experienced homers, that compares to a coated blade in terms of cutting easily.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
There is a major difference between a straight razor edge and manufactured blades. The Artist Club razors are nearer the SR experience but the blades are coated - so apart from being very sharp, they also cut easily. I have yet to come across a straight razor , whether honed by me or several other experienced homers, that compares to a coated blade in terms of cutting easily.
This is my experience too.

I am one of those straight shavers who enjoys a shavette shave as a separate thing. I don’t try to approximate a real SR shave, I use a much lighter hand. I personally favour DE blade shavettes. Super sharp, light touch, great results.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I've gotten near or same as Feather SS shavette with my honed type straights.

Personally, I do not differentiate the feel or result. That said, not all hones are the same. Since I finish on diamond pasted balsa, that might explain why my practical experiences are the same as with a manufactured edge as with the Feather Professional.

For me, whether you use a manufactured or commercial grade edge, you are using a straight razor, but I won't waste time arguing about it.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I haven't tried a Tedalus Essence so can't speak to that, but having used Feather SS/DX/SR I'd say ... pick any or a clone! Western folding or kamisori style as you prefer. But use a Kai Protouch MG guarded blade.

That blade for me comes closest to the combination of sharpness and forgiveness that a straight razor can provide. Other AC blades in a shavette produce clinically perfect shaves but maybe not as relaxed; the MG blade softens the experience slightly and reduces the effects of any errors by keeping nicks, if any, shallow.
Exactly, I have been in this game a long time now and promises of a superior shave from the latest AC type shavette just doesn't tickle my belly... just think about it.... even SS vs DX the difference is negligible.

I'm sure the Tedalus Essence is a lovely, top quality and beautiful razor but it won't give a better shave than using my SS or DX with the same blade. At least with DE and SE the blade gap makes a difference.

I'd love to own a Tedalus Essence razor too but that's because I like owning beautiful razors :)

GoReds

Forum GOD!
This is my experience too.

I am one of those straight shavers who enjoys a shavette shave as a separate thing. I don’t try to approximate a real SR shave, I use a much lighter hand. I personally favour DE blade shavettes. Super sharp, light touch, great results.
Late for my reply, but just curios. What are your preferred DE shavette razors?