What Phone you have and Why.

p.b

Forum GOD!
iPhone 12 Mini.

By far the finest phone Apple has ever made. They finally realized people have iPads and computers already and don’t need to carry around a huge brick TV. Perfect product all around.

View attachment 80497
Nice. I was hoping it'd be the same size as a iPhone 5 but I think it's just a little bit smaller than a 6. Either way I want a small iPhone not 1/2 a tablet.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
What is it that people like about iphones?
As opposed to Android?
Privacy, ease of use, approx five years of updates and interoperability with other Apple devices. I can take a photo on my phone and it’s accessible from my laptop and tablet, I can open a web page on one device and pick it up on another, I can buy stuff online using my laptop and authenticate the payment with the fingerprint reader on my phone. Plus stuff tends to just work as it should.

YMMV, some people prefer Android for its flexibility and increased scope for customisation. There are pros and cons to both.

Dr Watson

James
I use an iPhone SE and hate it. Doing anything on Apple products is always totally counter intuitive for me, I have the same problem on the Mrs' Macbook... They look nice and are generally very well constructed but I honestly think if you're a power user they are bloody awful.

To address Chris' points above:

Apple sells your data just like every other company.
Point taken on the updates, most androids only get 2 updates in their lifespan.
Photos taken on one device available on all other devices is also easily doable on non Apple products, same for web browsing, message reading and phone calls across multiple devices. It's now baked in to Android and Windows much like Apple's "Continuity."
They do work as they should however that's not unique to Apple like it was 5+ years ago.

I'm not an Apple hater, I just know they're not for me. There definitely was a time when they were superior in pretty much every conceivable way but everyone else has simply caught up while Apple rested on their laurels. If you're heavily invested in the eco system then it makes sense to carry on with them but if not then I would stay away. YMMV :D

Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Apple sells your data just like every other company
That's oft-quoted but sources are never cited. Apple has an entire section of their website explaining how they do not collect your data as opposed to Google’s which basically says that they collect everything. They might be lying but that’s a bit tinfoil hat. Plus Google are in bed with Facebook.

As for MacOS, UNIX isn’t for power users?

There's no objective metric by which one platform's better than the other, it’s entirely down to what works best for you.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I was under the impression that apple made their money by selling the phones.
Wheras Android made the phones cheaper by selling your data and making money that way.
Again, only based on heresay.

I am such a long way from a power user :)

SammieM

Forum GOD!
I hate the way Apple takes advantage of it’s customers with high prices, but there is something to be said about support and longevity. I am on my third and have to say I am very pleased with it. I like it because the OS is supported with updates. With Android you might get one update to the next version, but after that you are out of luck unless you download it and install it after you jail break the phone. It is not for everyone and you can easily brick the phone. My last iPhone I had for 5 years and it was still going strong. I had to replace the battery couple of times, but it cost about 10 quid to order it, so not a big deal.
Another thing is parts for iPhones are cheaper compared to say Samsung. A screen for Samsung is 80 quid and a similar screen for iPhone is 25....

Dr Watson

James
That's oft-quoted but sources are never cited. Apple has an entire section of their website explaining how they do not collect your data as opposed to Google’s which basically says that they collect everything. They might be lying but that’s a bit tinfoil hat. Plus Google are in bed with Facebook.
So Google are in bed with Facebook, but not Apple whom they pay 12 billion dollars a year to?

As for MacOS, UNIX isn’t for power users?
In my experience productivity drops, yes. It may not be universally true but it's my experience which in turn informs my purchasing decisions.

There's no objective metric by which one platform's better than the other, it’s entirely down to what works best for you.
This I can agree with. All are equal when in landfill, until then pick your favourite... It's really not worth stressing over.

Last edited: