What Phone you have and Why.

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Anyone ever use a Palm OS device?
Best OS ever IMHO.

Sadly crap marketing let them down now they are mo longer available.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Anyone ever use a Palm OS device?
Best OS ever IMHO.

Sadly crap marketing let them down now they are mo longer available.
I was a huge Palm Pilot fan when they came out. I credit the Palm with saving my life. Well, my professional life. It allowed me to organize myself for the first time ever. My problem was that I continued to use it long after it had run it's course. It got to the point where I would pull it out and people would ask incredulously "Is that a Palm Pilot???" I actually still have one but it doesn't see the light of day anymore. I'm sure there is a ton of information on mine that if I charged it up and went looking through it I'd react and say "That's where that info is!!!"

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Like many here, my brother in law is devoted to iPhone and I get the why part of it. His life is surrounded by apple product ecosystem and it is a seamless experience for him. Things just work that way. But I find the costs are really pushed if I try to create the same ecosystem around me.
In my office iPhone users were called wall huggers and it was good reason. I don't believe the situation has changed much since then. But i came across announcement couple of days ago that iPhone 12 range is going to have a 5.4 inch screen launch and it had my interest perked. Having never used iPhone before I am not sure how functional the OS itself is going to be for my liking and that is a big if.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Big plus for Apple phones is software updates for like 5 years. For exaple Samsung flagship phones gets only two OS updates and security patches for 3 years.
Vartik, I have a Blackberry Z10 I bought in 2013 and it received minor update in 2019. That's saying a lot about commitment to handsets by Blackberry.

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
I've chopped and changed reasonably easily between Android and iOS over the years, but my last couple of phones have been iPhone for sheer ease of use. Until recently had an iPhone 7 which was dying a death so now have an iPhone 11.
In hindsight, I should've gone for the new iPhone SE. It's the same form-factor as the 7, has fingerprint to unlock which I found easier than FaceID and the same processor as the 11 and all for a lower cost.
That said, I've enjoyed using the wide-angle camera on the iPhone 11 from time-to-time, which isn't on the SE.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
A Samsung S3. I think it is about 10 years old. I used to have a new phone each year but have left all that behind. I have another phone somewhere that tesco were selling for £5, I couldnt resist it, don't ask me the make.

I worked in Law and contracts for Middle East construction contracts and my Blackberry would be on 24/7 and people needed an answer within 30 minutes, even at 3AM Sunday morning. You can understand why I lost all interest in carrying around a phone, its liberating to think, I don't need one.
I do get where you are coming from. My wife thinks it is not normal behaviour to simply 'forget' carrying phone when leaving for work. But I really don't want to think of phones anything more than a device to communicate and send emails. It appears our professional work is similar in nature and it firmly kept me on either Nokia Communicators or Blackberry keyboard phones. I never could develop any real interest in phones that can launch missiles, control vehicle remotely, count steps, book a blind date or whatever users think a phone should do.
Even today, all I want is a phone that just works without nudging to me distractions. But what we get is a phone that does everything exceptionally well, except allow one to attach a file from SD card in 3 simple steps and send the email. Since you mentioned Blackberry... a phone backed by them can't be simpler than this Punkt.

punkt.jpg

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
I have a oneplus 3t.
I got it used, as i generally do.
Android.
A number of reasons.
I am not a 'typical' user it seems.
I am not bothered by all the flashy 'helpful' things that google etc etc do. (all are annoying and storage/ram/battery wasting)
They just all get on my nerves.
I am not a 'gamer'.

I have dabbled with changing operating systems before and rather liked that i could choose what apps I do and don't have on my phone.
I shall look at going tgoogle free again when i get round to it.

I rather like the Linux Ubuntu Touch OS, but it isn't ready yet. Well, it worked fine enough for me, apart from they haven't sussed Bluetooth yet.
I am sat in a van all day and use BT all day.
Anyway, It worked on the Oneplus One (which i had)and also the 3T, so I am hoping that it works and I can flip over to that.

It has 6gb RAM and 128GB storage.
Loads enough RAM for me and loads of storage for decent quality music and hundreds of hours of podcasts.
Enough for potentially videos if I want to.
The battery is fairly simple to change.

All for £90 about six months or a year ago.
I shall be keeping this one a while.

It will improve when i go with another OS as it will have less 'gadgets' and stuff that usesds up its its resources.
Then it will improve again if i go google free.
Then again if I go Ubuntu Touch.
I think in many ways I am like you and I do not want frivlious apps or activities from a phone. Never been a fan of android and I don't see any appeal given how irksome Google can get while the whole ecosystem itself feel so fragmented.
I am not a techie and can work mostly with stuff that simply works. I had Jolla Sailfish but it petered out and never really developed into something substantial. That leaves everyone to the mercy of apple and google. It is a sad situation.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
I'm in agreement with all the above. I had a Windows Phone for a while, which seemed to perplex many of my friends but Windows Phone OS was superb, far more intuitive to use than Android with a lot less bloatware, good security too maybe as so few people were using them! Aside from Android, there's iOS but I'm never going to buy another Apple product again, but that's another story.
When WA was stopped on Windows Phone, I bought myself the cheapest Alcatel smartphone purely as it has a 4" inch screen, which is near enough perfect for the pocket and one handed use but aside from that it's a piece of sh*te. There seem to be few sub 5.71" new Android smartphones on the market, not too many at the budget side of things.
I have to agree about a well integrated functionality. I briefly used a windows phone and I could relate well with the functional fluidity it had. I will say after Blackberry, only window phones made any sense to me but it is so unfortunate both died because most users just don't care. It is these very users who will not buy a Blackberry because it doesn't have a call recording app but they are ok buying an iPhone because it can play Temple Run while they stand next to a wall charging socket. No one seems have time to even pause for a minute that windows phones don't have an app to count toilet wipes and remind to buy more because windows will not allow app access to certain core files.
No one is listening to few who care about safety, security and privacy just because Google and Apple have earned their business revenues in 'fair and square' manner. It pisses me no end when passing through market my Wife's Nokia pops a msg 'So how was your experience at "drop your pants dry cleaners", people tend to stay an average of 15 min here for a quickie'.
On a different level and mostly security related this whole apple and google situation is just appalling and a catastrophe waiting to happen one day.

Last edited:

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
What - iPhone 6S Plus

Why - My wife decided I needed to upgrade the old non-iPhone whateveritwas I had before. I wasn’t all that bothered as I don’t like mobile phones anyway. Grudgingly I will admit it has its uses as a camera but I can’t be arsed with all the gizmos and don’t do social media either. Don’t much like making phone calls and avoid whenever possible. (Some of the jobs I had in my working life involved answering the phone.)

steve
No one really buys that I don't have any social account but here I am, proved them wrong. I am a member of a shaving forum :D
But frankly, I still think if I am interested in photography, I will use a proper camera and there is no need to participate in a camera pixel race except to have a camera for simple attachment on the fly.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I worked in Law and contracts for Middle East construction contracts and my Blackberry would be on 24/7 and people needed an answer within 30 minutes, even at 3AM Sunday morning. You can understand why I lost all interest in carrying around a phone, its liberating to think, I don't need one.
My ex was the Facilities Manager for a big bank in the city and she was rung up at all hours of the night if anything went wrong. She burned out completely and now never wants to work again......

Sometimes money can't buy people.

Vacumatic

Testy
I do get where you are coming from. My wife thinks it is not normal behaviour to simply 'forget' carrying phone when leaving for work. But I really don't want to think of phones anything more than a device to communicate and send emails. It appears our professional work is similar in nature and it firmly kept me on either Nokia Communicators or Blackberry keyboard phones. I never could develop any real interest in phones that can launch missiles, control vehicle remotely, count steps, book a blind date or whatever users think a phone should do.
Even today, all I want is a phone that just works without nudging to me distractions. But what we get is a phone that does everything exceptionally well, except allow one to attach a file from SD card in 3 simple steps and send the email. Since you mentioned Blackberry... a phone backed by them can't be simpler than this Punkt.

View attachment 77188

Thats my kind of phone. Keep it simple.

I needed to have some directions whilst travelling by car, my nephew was with me, he is 12 years old, he thought that the 'ol skool' sat nav GPS was really funny, I didn't dare say that I would really have preferred to have maps and a notebook!

There was an interview on TV with a mother and teenage son, somehow he had run up an enormous cell phone bill, I think he had been buying upgrades for a game that he was playing and just had not thought that he was spending real money, he was pretending to shoot people with pretend weapons and he thought he was using pretend money. His mother took his iphone 10 away for a month and he was given a really old Nokia 3210 in its place, calls and texts only, plus snake!. He was asked how he felt about this on TV. He loved it, no more pressure from social media and the back biting that he had before, no urgency to respond to everything that was said about him, liberating.

I could happily go back to calls only phone especially if the phone makers want $1000+ for the next new thing

dc68

-------------
I just switch off my work email from Friday evening until midday Sunday.... when I turn it back on again.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I like having a smartphone and use it a lot as a portable computer probably more than a phone. Other than being a member here I don't do social media though, Facebook, Instagram etc - no. If I get a message it's calls, texts or emails. I object to the insidious nature of the likes of Facebook.

D

Deleted member 476

I have a IPhone X and I hope it never breaks. Its the perfect size for my needs, it has the functionality of a full sized screen, without being the size of a tablet, like so many smart phones today. Others in my household have the IPhone 11, but I find its too big and heavy to carry in jeans front pockets. I have never had any social media on my Iphones and never will. Instead, I have a chromebook for such mindless sillyness.