What Phone you have and Why.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
One Plus 8 Pro.

I tend to change phones approximately every 2 years going for the best value high-spec Android model, this time 5G being a big draw. Prior to that it was a Huawei P20 Pro

Last edited:

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
i have 2 Samsungs work and private phone, Galaxy A51 and A20. Had iphones love the functionality but the bateery life particularily on the work phone was just painful.

Love my Macbook though and wouldn't swap that.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I have the P30 Pro. It absolutley outstanding in every respect. It blows all my previous phones out of the water. BUT, unless the Trump sanctions/arguments are sorted I wouldn't bother. Fat chance of any security/OS updates any time soon (on my supported phone), so ZERO chance on any new release.
The P30 pro does get some terrific reviews. I recall reading that Huawei has gone flat-out to develop it's own Harmony OS and eco system because of sanctions. As they are now the world leader for 5g technology, I was wondering how long it will take them to become world leaders in mobile OS; judging by their previous track record, I suspect not long. I think the writing was on the wall when Apple's mobile releases last year were not 5g and this year's releases may not support the fastest mmwave 5g but rather the slower Sub-6GHz 5G.

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I have a Samsung Note 10 Plus (Snapdragon version). Recently upgraded from a Note 9 which had a cracked screen. First ever time I have broken a screen on a smartphone and I have had quite few.
Would have kept it a little longer otherwise.

A new screen cost £200 which is just stupid.

IPhone 7 for work.

Personally prefer Android.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Thank you all for your inputs. I take note of the fact that iphone appears to find more favor with users.
Not intending to call out iphone as something untouchable but I will say that Jobs was right when he stuck to his plan of 4 inch screen being most user friendly and apple products have a consistent (albit stale now) design philosophy with iPhones. To his credit, Jobs did achieve something others can only dream of and he has my respect for that. Born out of wedlock, put up for adoption, smoking weed with hippies, dating Joan Baez and creating legacy of apple...... how many can surpass his charisma? That said, I have never used any apple product before and at this point of time, I am leery because I do not like the way apple handles the security threats from 3rd party attacks. But Apple have simply not shown any muscle or intent to make it happen in spite of rising instances that they should.

I find present Android slab phones too big for my liking in fact I find this whole trend of 7 inch phone pretty baffling. I don't really feel that Android ecosystem is intuitive to operate and having to handle nearly 200 gram of glass hardware with one hand makes it worse. Their security is nothing to write about home but I will also say, if you are using internet, consider yourself already compromised (same goes for Apple also, but these guys are riding at another level of corporate ego). I am trying to find a phone which is 5.5 inch at max, latest in 2020 and doesn't have oodles of bloatware like Samsung and nearly stock and decent battery standby. With my regular phone ecosystem I am pretty committed to carrying a phone for 3+ years but I am waiting for Blackberry to offer something in 2021 and might go in that direction. For now I want to use something cheaper and Google pixel aren't exactly cheap.

Vacumatic

Testy
A Samsung S3. I think it is about 10 years old. I used to have a new phone each year but have left all that behind. I have another phone somewhere that tesco were selling for £5, I couldnt resist it, don't ask me the make.

I worked in Law and contracts for Middle East construction contracts and my Blackberry would be on 24/7 and people needed an answer within 30 minutes, even at 3AM Sunday morning. You can understand why I lost all interest in carrying around a phone, its liberating to think, I don't need one.

vartik

Head shaver
Big plus for Apple phones is software updates for like 5 years. For exaple Samsung flagship phones gets only two OS updates and security patches for 3 years.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I find present Android slab phones too big for my liking in fact I find this whole trend of 7 inch phone pretty baffling. I don't really feel that Android ecosystem is intuitive to operate and having to handle nearly 200 gram of glass hardware with one hand makes it worse. Their security is nothing to write about home but I will also say, if you are using internet, consider yourself already compromised (same goes for Apple also, but these guys are riding at another level of corporate ego). I am trying to find a phone which is 5.5 inch at max, latest in 2020 and doesn't have oodles of bloatware like Samsung and nearly stock and decent battery standby. With my regular phone ecosystem I am pretty committed to carrying a phone for 3+ years but I am waiting for Blackberry to offer something in 2021 and might go in that direction. For now I want to use something cheaper and Google pixel aren't exactly cheap.
I'm in agreement with all the above. I had a Windows Phone for a while, which seemed to perplex many of my friends but Windows Phone OS was superb, far more intuitive to use than Android with a lot less bloatware, good security too maybe as so few people were using them! Aside from Android, there's iOS but I'm never going to buy another Apple product again, but that's another story.
When WA was stopped on Windows Phone, I bought myself the cheapest Alcatel smartphone purely as it has a 4" inch screen, which is near enough perfect for the pocket and one handed use but aside from that it's a piece of sh*te. There seem to be few sub 5.71" new Android smartphones on the market, not too many at the budget side of things.

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
What - iPhone 6S Plus

Why - My wife decided I needed to upgrade the old non-iPhone whateveritwas I had before. I wasn’t all that bothered as I don’t like mobile phones anyway. Grudgingly I will admit it has its uses as a camera but I can’t be arsed with all the gizmos and don’t do social media either. Don’t much like making phone calls and avoid whenever possible. (Some of the jobs I had in my working life involved answering the phone.)

steve

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
iPhone 8 plus. I don't like the size but my 6 is dying. I am always sim only and I get the 'cast offs' whenever the wife upgrades free through work. She now has the 11 pro which is a better size again due to the screen being the whole phone as such. Apple all the way for me. Changing computer to iMac was the best thing I ever did with technology.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
Google Pixel 4xl, good phone gets updates early. But wish it had fingerprint recognition on it..........facial recognition at the moment has its problems. I am on sim only as well.........