What have you learned today?

Vacumatic

Testy
Today I had the grouting sorted out in the bathroom, the contractor - and this is his full time occupation - removed a seal between the tiles and the bath, black grungy water came out from behind the tiles, not good at all, he then spent hours drying out the plaster, it has now been regrouted and looks fine.

I learned that there were at least three possible reasons for this problem, they may all have played a part. The tile spaces were too large causing shower water to collect rather than run off. Secondly the silicone seal wasn't large enough, it didn't grip the tiles sufficiently. Thirdly, probably down to me, is the use of bleach on the tiles and grout which causes the grout to shrink and then let water in. The bleach solution I used was dilute, around 10 ml to 1000 ml of water and soap detergent. From now on just a dry towelling on the tiles after showering.

Last edited:

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Today I had the grouting sorted out in the bathroom, the contractor - and this is his full time occupation - removed a seal between the tiles and the bath, black grungy water came out from behind the tiles, not good at all, he then spent hours drying out the plaster, it has now been regrouted and looks fine.

I learned that there were at least three possible reasons for this problem, they may all have played a part. The tile spaces were too large causing shower water to collect rather than run off. Secondly the silicone seal wasn't large enough, it didn't grip the tiles sufficiently. Thirdly, probably down to me, is the use of bleach on the tiles and grout which causes the grout to shrink and then let water in. The bleach solution I used was dilute, around 10 ml to 1000 ml of water and soap detergent. From now on just a dry towelling on the tiles after showering.
I use a small squeegee, but thanks for the heads up on using bleach, but I normally use Scrubbing Bubbles.